Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

HR20-100 vs HR20-700

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   ke3ju

ke3ju

Legend

• Registered
  • 145 posts
  • LocationStroudsburg, PA and Seminole, FL

Posted 22 July 2010 - 08:48 AM

I couldn't really find any information already posted for what I am about to ask.

Here's the situation. I came home from work this past Monday, went into my office, and tried to click on the HR20-100 I have in there. I could not get it to turn on no matter what I tried. So I called D* hoping they'd have a trick up their sleeve to get this reset/turned on. No help...so they shipped me an HR20-700 to replace it (because I use OTA I assume).

Well...it wasn't 30 minutes after I got off the phone with D* that the damn thing came on by itself. No idea why. Couldn't find anything that fit my exact situation on here, so I figured I'd just see what they send me, and take it from there.

Well the HR20-100 has been working flawlessly since it came back on 4 days ago, and no I have refurbished HR20-700 sitting in box.

What do I do? Is there anything better about the 700 than the 100 regarding OTA tuner quality, or speed or anything, or should I just hang on the 100 and send the 700 back? It doesn't seem like the 100 is dying, just seems like a fluke, maybe a power surge or something.

Any opinions are welcome.

Thanks in advance for your help...

Kind Regards,
Ed
1 - HR20-100S
1 - HR21-100B
1 - HR22-700
1 - HR24-500
1 - R22

'Any fool can write code that a computer can understand.
Good programmers write code that humans can understand.'
Martin Fowler

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,615 posts

Posted 22 July 2010 - 08:57 AM

"The guts" are basically the same. I think the -100 still has an external antenna for the RF remote. The drive may have 20 GB more [320 verses 300].
When you first had a problem with it, did you try simply unplugging the power cord for 5-10 mins? This is a somewhat common thing to do when any receiver doesn't respond to the other options.
A.K.A VOS

#3 OFFLINE   ke3ju

ke3ju

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 145 posts

Posted 22 July 2010 - 09:29 AM

I unplugged it, but for only about 30 seconds. It only happened once...makes me think it's a fluke...
1 - HR20-100S
1 - HR21-100B
1 - HR22-700
1 - HR24-500
1 - R22

Martin Fowler

#4 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,615 posts

Posted 22 July 2010 - 09:40 AM

I unplugged it, but for only about 30 seconds. It only happened once...makes me think it's a fluke...

Reading through the manual says to unplug it for 2-3 mins to "reset the protection circuits", so "about 30 secs" may have been too short.
A.K.A VOS

#5 OFFLINE   ke3ju

ke3ju

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 145 posts

Posted 22 July 2010 - 09:58 AM

I guess if there's no difference in performance between the two machines, and it was just a fluke that this happened, I will stick with the 100 then, since it's already setup, and still has recordings on it.

I was mostly curious if there was a difference in the OTA tuner between the two models. Sensitivity and such...

Thanks again...
1 - HR20-100S
1 - HR21-100B
1 - HR22-700
1 - HR24-500
1 - R22

Martin Fowler

#6 OFFLINE   jdspencer

jdspencer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,552 posts

Posted 22 July 2010 - 10:52 AM

The only other difference between the -100 and -700 is that the -100 has two ethernet ports.

But the bottom one isn't enabled.
DirecTV since '96, Waivers for ABC, CBS, NBC, & Fox, HR23-700 & HR24-500/AM21, using ethernet based MRV.

spam firewall