Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

New install tomorrow - which installer in LI?

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   e325rkh

e325rkh

• Registered
  • 6 posts

Posted 22 July 2010 - 09:50 AM

Hello. I will be a new DirecTV customer (hopefully) tomorrow morning. I am in Suffolk County, NY (Long Island) and I wanted to get an idea who will be sent out (if they are any good) and things I should watch for. I am moving from Cable. I am also trying to ensure that I get the H24/HR24 boxes. This is what I ordered:

Premier Package
Whole Home DVR Service
1 HD DVR
3 HD Recievers
2 SD Receivers
TV Internet Connection Service

The CSR put a note that I requested the H/HR24 boxes, unsure what that guarantees.

Thanks in advance for you guidance.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   skatingrocker17

skatingrocker17

Godfather

• Registered
  • 270 posts

Posted 22 July 2010 - 12:11 PM

Well it's been a month since my DirecTV has been installed and I thought it couldn't be done in my house but the guy did it. I don't remember what company he was from but I asked him about the boxes and he said I would be getting 3 H24s and my HD-DVR would be an HR23, that was disappointing. But it turns out he find and HR24-500 in his truck so he gave me that, the installation took about 2 and a half hours. I had to carefully explain a few things to him and repeat myself a few times about how I didn't want holes drilled. I only ordered the Choice Xtra, and HD-DVR and 3 HD boxes, I asked the CSR if I could get the new 24 series boxes and she couldn't guarantee it but she said I should get the newest equipment and I did so I'm happy. Good luck.

#3 OFFLINE   e325rkh

e325rkh

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 6 posts

Posted 22 July 2010 - 12:15 PM

Thank you very much for your response. The house is wired for cable and can be used, however, there will be 3 runs that are needed - from the dish into the house, and 2 more from the main switch to 2 different rooms. If they supply the cable, I can fish it myself just to be safe (I have a chase pipe in the attic - should take only a few minutes to fish).

#4 OFFLINE   lugnut1012

lugnut1012

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 13 posts

Posted 22 July 2010 - 12:56 PM

skatingrocker17,

Did you have them install your dish on a pole? Since you said that you did not want holes drilled. Did that cost you anything? How much was it. I am getting an install on Monday and I do not want holes drilled either. I am wanting a pole mounted dish. Thanks

#5 OFFLINE   Manctech

Manctech

Icon

• Registered
  • 542 posts

Posted 22 July 2010 - 01:42 PM

skatingrocker17,

Did you have them install your dish on a pole? Since you said that you did not want holes drilled. Did that cost you anything? How much was it. I am getting an install on Monday and I do not want holes drilled either. I am wanting a pole mounted dish. Thanks

Company policy for Mastec is no charge for KA/KU (High Definition) pole mounts. I guess the 10 required lags is too much compared to the 6 for basic.

Standard definition pole mounts are 75$ unless the only place to put it is on the ground. We also charge to bury cable. It's 1$ per foot in 10$ increments. So 35 feet is 40$. Or you can bury yourself (pay your kid half as much to do it).

People really hate hearing about custom charges but in most cases it's a lot more work for the technician.

You can also mount your own 4x8 (preferably 6x8 post) so that it eliminates the risk of a charge.

TWC Technician (Huntersville, Cornelius, Davidson Area)

#6 OFFLINE   gpg

gpg

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,736 posts
  • LocationLong Island

Posted 22 July 2010 - 01:48 PM

Halstead does the installation work for LI I think. I've had pretty good experience with them both with install work (SWM and DECAs for MRV) as well as service calls.
HR24-200,HR23-700,HR21-200, HR21-100, HR34-700,
Sony KDS-R50XBR1,HDMI, LG 37LH40,HDMI Vizio 390-A1,HDMI,Sony KDL-40NX711, HDMI, Vizio VO320E, HDMI, SWM16 with DECA,
Sony STR-DG1000 AV Receiver optical cable connection for HR24-200, GenieGo

#7 OFFLINE   e325rkh

e325rkh

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 6 posts

Posted 22 July 2010 - 01:56 PM

Thank you. I will post my experience after the install.

#8 OFFLINE   skatingrocker17

skatingrocker17

Godfather

• Registered
  • 270 posts

Posted 22 July 2010 - 04:42 PM

skatingrocker17,

Yes it was mounted on a pole and I was not charged extra for it. I got the "Free professional Instillation".

#9 OFFLINE   e325rkh

e325rkh

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 6 posts

Posted 24 July 2010 - 05:26 AM

To follow up, the D* subcontractor came on time yesterday and installed the Swm 3 dish and an HR24. He did a very good job. They did read the notes and told me I will get the H24's for the HD receivers like I requested however they are expecting a delivery today and will come back with those specific boxes. So far, I am very happy. I played around with the HR24 last night.

#10 OFFLINE   BattleZone

BattleZone

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 24 July 2010 - 06:47 AM

You can also mount your own 4x8 (preferably 6x8 post) so that it eliminates the risk of a charge.

HORRIBLE suggestion! Dishes should NOT be mounted to wooden posts, which will warp and twist. If you are going to mount your own pole, do it RIGHT and get a 2" OUTER-diameter pole (muffler shop), run a bolt through it 1 foot from the bottom, and cement it into the ground at least 2' deep. Don't forget to plumb the pole (level in both directions). Then you will have a trouble-free mount.

#11 OFFLINE   ndole

ndole

Problem Solver

• Registered
  • 1,903 posts

Posted 24 July 2010 - 08:59 AM

HORRIBLE suggestion! Dishes should NOT be mounted to wooden posts, which will warp and twist. If you are going to mount your own pole, do it RIGHT and get a 2" OUTER-diameter pole (muffler shop), run a bolt through it 1 foot from the bottom, and cement it into the ground at least 2' deep. Don't forget to plumb the pole (level in both directions). Then you will have a trouble-free mount.

Correctamundo!
"He that is good for making excuses is seldom good for anything else."

#12 OFFLINE   mikeny

mikeny

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,914 posts

Posted 24 July 2010 - 01:37 PM

Halstead does the installation work for LI I think. I've had pretty good experience with them both with install work (SWM and DECAs for MRV) as well as service calls.

To follow up, the D* subcontractor came on time yesterday and installed the Swm 3 dish and an HR24. He did a very good job. They did read the notes and told me I will get the H24's for the HD receivers like I requested however they are expecting a delivery today and will come back with those specific boxes. So far, I am very happy. I played around with the HR24 last night.

Good luck. Yeah, it is crap shoot who Halstead may send. They're in Ronkonkoma. They had RHI Installations come for my last service call(s) which was a Whole Home DVR + internet connection/SWiM.

Which subcontractor came to you? Did you wind up getting your H24s? Enjoy the service?
SL3 SWM, 3 HR24-500s, H25-500, DECA

#13 OFFLINE   Grydlok

Grydlok

Icon

• Registered
  • 749 posts

Posted 24 July 2010 - 01:39 PM

Company policy for Mastec is no charge for KA/KU (High Definition) pole mounts. I guess the 10 required lags is too much compared to the 6 for basic.

Standard definition pole mounts are 75$ unless the only place to put it is on the ground. We also charge to bury cable. It's 1$ per foot in 10$ increments. So 35 feet is 40$. Or you can bury yourself (pay your kid half as much to do it).

People really hate hearing about custom charges but in most cases it's a lot more work for the technician.

that isn't Mastec company policy but your office policy.
Hypocrites with fake rumors need not apply.

#14 OFFLINE   e325rkh

e325rkh

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 6 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 07:27 AM

After installing the SWM 3 dish, DECA and HR24 on Friday, the installer came back the next morning with 5 H24 HD boxes. All is right in the world.

Thank you all for your helpful information.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...