Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

HR21-200 Dying Quickly after only a couple of months

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Casey21

Casey21

Legend

• Registered
  • 197 posts

Posted 22 July 2010 - 10:51 AM

My REFURBISHED HR21-200 (which replaced our HR21-700 and I've only had since May) is already dying. The pic has frozen a handful of times. It froze TWICE last night when we were trying to watch a recorded program. So, we had to press the reset button on the dvr since it was completely frozen to run a restart twice. In addition, it's restarting or turning itself own by itself, jumpy video, dropping audio, etc... So, obviously, it's going quickly. I want to call DTV and get a new one before this one completely dies. What's the magic words to get a replacement before this one dies and get one that is not an old refurbished model? I'm already ticked this replacement is already dying after only a couple of months and I had to pay the shipping for this piece of junk. So, this will be our 3rd in the span of a couple of years. Any helpful suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Edited by Casey21, 22 July 2010 - 11:05 AM.

Home Theater
HR24-200
65 in. Panasonic Plasma VT50
Yamaha RX-A810
Panasonic Blu-ray DMPBDT220

Great Room
HR23-700
46 in. Sharp Aquos LCD
Yamaha RXV-671
Roku-XD

Bedroom
HR20-700
36 in. Sharp Aquos LCD

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   azarby

azarby

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,017 posts

Posted 22 July 2010 - 11:35 AM

My REFURBISHED HR21-200 (which replaced our HR21-700 and I've only had since May) is already dying. The pic has frozen a handful of times. It froze TWICE last night when we were trying to watch a recorded program. So, we had to press the reset button on the dvr since it was completely frozen to run a restart twice. In addition, it's restarting or turning itself own by itself, jumpy video, dropping audio, etc... So, obviously, it's going quickly. I want to call DTV and get a new one before this one completely dies. What's the magic words to get a replacement before this one dies and get one that is not an old refurbished model? I'm already ticked this replacement is already dying after only a couple of months and I had to pay the shipping for this piece of junk. So, this will be our 3rd in the span of a couple of years. Any helpful suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Just call them up and tell them it is freezing and at other times it is turning itrself on for no apparent reason. They will make you jump through several test procedures, but just go with the flow and if it is really bad, they will replace it.

#3 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 22 July 2010 - 11:41 AM

Just call DirecTV and tell them what is happening. They will sort it out for you.
DTV = Digital Television

#4 OFFLINE   davring

davring

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,377 posts

Posted 22 July 2010 - 11:43 AM

Or simply tell them it will not power on.
HR20-700(2.0TB)>Sony XBR-55HX929
HR20-700>Sony KDL40V2500
OTA RS outdoor ant
Hardwire networked to Cysco Router 6.0 AT&T DSL
MRV enabled
R15-500>Samsung LNT2342H
DirecTV customer since 1997

#5 OFFLINE   Casey21

Casey21

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 197 posts

Posted 22 July 2010 - 02:00 PM

Thanks all - is there anyway to get them to send me a newer dvr. The one going bad is refurbished since our original new one died. Since this one lasted only a couple of months I would like to try and avoid, if at all possible, going thru this once again. It's such a pain setting up all of the todo's again. Geez, just did that it in May! I'm not even asking for the newest "greatest" dvr out there just, hopefully, something that is more stable than the last 2 I've had (HR21-700 and HR21-200) - cuz these 2 were awful.
Home Theater
HR24-200
Yamaha RX-A810

Great Room
HR23-700
46 in. Sharp Aquos LCD
Yamaha RXV-671
Roku-XD

Bedroom
HR20-700
36 in. Sharp Aquos LCD

#6 OFFLINE   Casey21

Casey21

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 197 posts

Posted 22 July 2010 - 07:19 PM

Thanks all - is there anyway to get them to send me a newer dvr. The one going bad is refurbished since our original new one died. Since this one lasted only a couple of months I would like to try and avoid, if at all possible, going thru this once again. It's such a pain setting up all of the todo's again. Geez, just did that it in May! I'm not even asking for the newest "greatest" dvr out there just, hopefully, something that is more stable than the last 2 I've had (HR21-700 and HR21-200) - cuz these 2 were awful.

Frozen again! This will be a fun night trying to watch something. Thanks for the refurbished junk DTV. Seriously, if anyone has advice on how to get a decent replacement sent please let me know. I know they'll replace it as I've already gone thru this a couple of months ago. I just want a DVR that will work - is that really too much to ask of a company I send over $100 bucks every month?????
Home Theater
HR24-200
Yamaha RX-A810

Great Room
HR23-700
46 in. Sharp Aquos LCD
Yamaha RXV-671
Roku-XD

Bedroom
HR20-700