Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Can I record to external HDD and watch elsewhere?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   dukenole

dukenole

• Registered
  • 9 posts

Posted 22 July 2010 - 12:00 PM

Sorry if this has been answered a million times but I'm not on these boards very often, please direct me to the appropriate thread if so.

If I connect an external HDD and record programming to it, can I watch those programs without using the Directv HD-DVR? For instance, Western Digital makes a media player for watching video from an HDD and it will decipher many different video formats, would something like that be able to be used in this instance?

More specifically, I would like to be able to buy something like a 2TB external HDD, record HD movies and TV shows, and be able to watch them whenever I want, whether I keep Directv or not. Possible?

Thanks in advance.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   jefbal99

jefbal99

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,838 posts

Posted 22 July 2010 - 12:06 PM

No, the DirecTV recordings are encrypted and married to a single DVR. You couldn't even make recordings to an external and take it to a different DirecTV box and view them.
Receiving Equipment: AU9 Slimline w/Zinwell WB68 & SWM 8 | Winegard MS-2000 w/PS-1503 Power Injector
Living Room: HR22-100 w/AM-21 | Samsung HL-S4266W (HDMI) | Ethernet MRV | Pioneer HTS-GS1 5.1 | Yamaha DV-S6160 (Component/Digital Coaxial)
Bedroom: H21-200 w/AM-21 | Westinghouse LVM-42w2 (HDMI) | Ethernet MRV
Home Theatre: HR20-100 | Sanyo PLV-Z60 (Component/Optical) | Flexio 16:9 100" Screen | Ethernet MRV |Yamaha YHT-690 | XBox 360 (Component) | Harmony 880

Protected By... spam firewall...And...