Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Largest SATA with HR20-700?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   reber1b

reber1b

Legend

• Registered
  • 165 posts

Posted 22 July 2010 - 01:08 PM

Using an Antec MX-1 enclosure, What is the largest SATA drive I can connect to an HR20? I know this is pretty basic, but I couldn't find an exact answer by searching.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,021 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 22 July 2010 - 01:13 PM

2 TB.
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#3 OFFLINE   TomCat

TomCat

Broadcast Engineer

• Registered
  • 3,617 posts

Posted 23 July 2010 - 08:15 PM

Are there even larger drives available? And at what ungodly cost?

I have a 2TB drive in one of my HRs, and it is 50% full. I record HD only, and there are 249 hours recorded on it (I checked). Now this does NOT imply that you can record upwards of 500 hours on a 2 TB drive (as the last 10-15% seems to fill up faster, at least that has been my experience with smaller drives) but even 475 hours or so of HD is a ton of TV shows. I think there is a point where a larger size than 2 TB becomes impractical, and I think that point is not really a lot larger than 2 TB.

Of course if you really do want massive storage you could get a drobo, or there are some dual-drive setups available from Weaknees (who will rob you blind in the process).
It's usually safe to talk honestly and openly with people because they typically are not really listening anyway.

#4 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,884 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 24 July 2010 - 10:02 AM

Are there even larger drives available? And at what ungodly cost?

I have a 2TB drive in one of my HRs, and it is 50% full. I record HD only, and there are 249 hours recorded on it (I checked). Now this does NOT imply that you can record upwards of 500 hours on a 2 TB drive (as the last 10-15% seems to fill up faster, at least that has been my experience with smaller drives) but even 475 hours or so of HD is a ton of TV shows. I think there is a point where a larger size than 2 TB becomes impractical, and I think that point is not really a lot larger than 2 TB.

I think the capacity varies with the content. I don't think you can firmly state an exact number of hours on any size drive. For instance, on one of my first 20-700s, I filled up the internal with over 40 hours of MPEG4 recordings. Shouldn't have been able to do that on the small internal.

You're right about the 2TB drives, that is an awful lot of capacity. I have three HRs with 2TB drives on them and I rarely approach the 50% mark. I also have several HRs with 1.5TB drives externally or internally and I rarely have much over 50% on them. I tend to put more movies on the 2TB drives. If you have more than two HRs, 1.5 HDDs are large enough to accommodate just about anybody.

Of course if you really do want massive storage you could get a drobo, or there are some dual-drive setups available from Weaknees (who will rob you blind in the process).

They do charge a lot for their products. And it's so easy to do it yourself.

Rich

#5 OFFLINE   reber1b

reber1b

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 165 posts

Posted 25 July 2010 - 02:05 PM

Thanks for the replies guys. I'll probably go with something around 1.5 gb. I sure wish D* would make it easier to switch between the internal drive and an external drive. There was some talk about it several years ago. It would also be nice to be able to copy programming from one drive to another, although I don't know how that would be done. After all, if both drives were married to the same receiver, what harm could it do to their precious copy protection schemes? I have two 750 gb eSATA's plus the two internal drives (HR20's), and all four of them are at least 80% full -- pity us poor packrats :-)

#6 OFFLINE   TomCat

TomCat

Broadcast Engineer

• Registered
  • 3,617 posts

Posted 26 July 2010 - 07:26 PM

I think the capacity varies with the content...

Actually, capacity varies with the bit rate. It is actually simple arithmetic. There are so many bits and just so many places to put them.

But content can have different bit rates which might argue that capacity varies with content. The only thing wrong with that point of view is that I think while there is not a standard bit rate, there is a de facto standard bit rate for MPEG4 content from DTV, as they use pretty much the same bit rate for everything. And the variables even out. If bit rate is a constant in that equation, capacity will not vary at all with content. So if everything recorded is MPEG4 HD from DTV, you can be almost guaranteed that a particular-sized HDD will consistently hold the same amount of hours of content.
It's usually safe to talk honestly and openly with people because they typically are not really listening anyway.

#7 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,884 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 27 July 2010 - 08:49 AM

Actually, capacity varies with the bit rate. It is actually simple arithmetic. There are so many bits and just so many places to put them.

But content can have different bit rates which might argue that capacity varies with content. The only thing wrong with that point of view is that I think while there is not a standard bit rate, there is a de facto standard bit rate for MPEG4 content from DTV, as they use pretty much the same bit rate for everything. And the variables even out. If bit rate is a constant in that equation, capacity will not vary at all with content. So if everything recorded is MPEG4 HD from DTV, you can be almost guaranteed that a particular-sized HDD will consistently hold the same amount of hours of content.

I think I agree with most of your post. I still recorded over 40 hours of MPEG4 on one of my original 20-700s on the stock drive and if it's not the content, then what is it that allowed me to exceed the stated (on the box) capacity?

Rich

#8 OFFLINE   cover

cover

Icon

• Registered
  • 529 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 09:08 AM

... I think there is a point where a larger size than 2 TB becomes impractical, and I think that point is not really a lot larger than 2 TB...

I agree. In the past I was frequently tight on capacity, but after adding 2TB drives to two DVRs - and even considering that I record a lot of OTA which takes up more space - even I think the amount of storage I now have is overkill.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...