Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

HR24-500 and SATA drive

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   rcayers

rcayers

Mentor

• Registered
  • 40 posts

Posted 22 July 2010 - 02:29 PM

Just got a HR24-500 to replace a HR20-700 that went south. I had an external HD connected to the HR20. I realize I lose all my recorded stuff when I put the HD on a new DVR, but the external HD doesn't seem to be recognized. I went throuth the sequence as follows: disconnect power to DVR and HD, power up the HD, connect eSATA cable to HD and DVR, power up DVR. Then I recorded something, which shows up in the List. If I then unplug the eSATA cable the same List shows up. This indicastes to me that the external HD isn't being used. It worked fine on the previous setup (the HR20-700).

Any advice? Anybody have an idea of what's goint on?

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#2 OFFLINE   jgriffin104

jgriffin104

Mentor

• Registered
  • 38 posts

Posted 22 July 2010 - 05:47 PM

Take the drive out of case and hook it up to your PC and let windows partition and format the drive. Then put it back in the ESATA case and let the DVR find and format it.

#3 OFFLINE   chscott

chscott

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 22 posts

Posted 22 July 2010 - 07:27 PM

Take the drive out of case and hook it up to your PC and let windows partition and format the drive. Then put it back in the ESATA case and let the DVR find and format it.

I am getting a new DVR tomorrow. Do you format as FAT32?

#4 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 22 July 2010 - 07:30 PM

I am getting a new DVR tomorrow. Do you format as FAT32?

I usually just plug it into a PC, remove all the partitions until it reads "Unallocated" for the entire drive, then plug it in the DVR and the DVR will do the rest. No need to waste time formatting it with the PC, unless you suspect bad sectors and want to run a program to map them out.

Tivo Premier XL4, Tivo Premier, Tivo HD whole home on Xfinity HD, DirecTv Whole Home with 39" high gain KaKu dish, Roku3,SageTv 8 TB Win8 Server -> DVDO Edge-> Denon AVR, Klipsch KB15's/Panasonic 55ST60 plasma"

#5 OFFLINE   feeth

feeth

Legend

• Registered
  • 125 posts

Posted 24 July 2010 - 12:38 PM

I have an esata port on the back of my dell pc. Can I just plug the external HD via esata into the dell pc to format?

EDIT:

I plugged it into the esata and nothing happened.

Plugged it in via usb, it said it had good drivers, but nothing since. I do not see it on "my computer" page.

I found these instructions to reformat the drive:

If you can see it under Device Manager as working and not in My Computer at all you will need to undo any partition and then do a quick format to get it to work. You should also notice the LED not flashing before you do this. I JUST did this to two different HD's. One was a Passport and the other a My Book.

I right clicked on My Computer, clicked on Manage, then on the left you will see Disk Management. Click on that. You should see ALL of your HD's as well as your Burners. Right click on your "broken" HD and delete volume. It should go Unallocated. Right click on Drive again and format with a quick format since you have no data on it anymore. It should work. Good luck!

I did this and got my 750gb external to show as a new volume with 698.63gb.

Unplugged the 24 dvr, plugged in the esata and let it boot up.

Plugged the 24 back in and let it start up.

It got to formatting the drive, but no dice, the reboot screen for a disc drive error came up. So I selected reboot and it came back to the same screen.

EDIT pt 2:

I did another reformat on my PC via the usb as above, repeating the entire process, rebooting 2x with the dvr when it gets the to screen below. No luck! :nono2:

This is not my favorite screen at all:

Posted Image

Edited by feeth, 24 July 2010 - 02:31 PM.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...