Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Satellite Direct Magazine... Anyone know where I can get individual issues?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   kevinwill1

kevinwill1

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 15 posts

Posted 22 July 2010 - 02:50 PM

Hi, all...

I have checked all of the chain bookstores in my area, Barnes & Noble, Books-A-Million, and Borders, and none of them carry the magazine, though I have seen it at all of them at one point or another in the past (years ago, though). None of the chain drugstores in the area carry it, Walgreens, CVS, Rite Aid, and neither do any of the grocery stores, Target, Best Buy, or Wal-Mart. After looking online for about 6 hours one night recently, the only mentions of it at all I could find were for subscriptions through the Satellite Direct website directly or through a 3rd party magazine seller, which I had rather not do. The DVR and internet have more or less nullified the need for a magazine, but I read my Grandfather's copies when I go to see him (he subscribes, and lives 3 hours away) and I really enjoy the things other than the guide and movie listings.

Of course, there are numerous other options out there, and different magazines that I can find occasionally in the stores, but not this one. I'm getting DirecTV here in a few days, and I was looking forward to getting my hands on a copy before then, which seems like it isn't going to happen. :( Has anybody seen Satellite Direct out in the wild recently?

Thanks!
KEVIN W

#2 OFFLINE   markfp

markfp

Legend

• Registered
  • 189 posts

Posted 22 July 2010 - 07:07 PM

As far as I know, it's only available through DirecTV and not in any store. If you only want to see one issue I think the best you can do is order a subscription from DirecTV and then tell them you don't like it and cancel it. That's more trouble than just buying one issue at the a store, but I don't think there's another way to get it.

#3 OFFLINE   paulman182

paulman182

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,833 posts

Posted 23 July 2010 - 05:33 AM

As far as I know, it's only available through DirecTV and not in any store. If you only want to see one issue I think the best you can do is order a subscription from DirecTV and then tell them you don't like it and cancel it. That's more trouble than just buying one issue at the a store, but I don't think there's another way to get it.

DirecTV's magazine is Access DirecTV. Satellite Direct is an independent magazine with roots back in the C-band days. I have not seen it in bookstores in a few years.

Equipment includes a buncha stuff that I no longer have interest in detailing

#4 OFFLINE   joed32

joed32

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,637 posts

Posted 24 July 2010 - 08:35 AM

I have looked for OnSat and Orbit but couldn't find either one at any retail outlets. Sat Direct is the same.

#5 OFFLINE   n3ntj

n3ntj

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 24 July 2010 - 10:47 AM

I remember the Satellite Direct magazine from the 1990s. That had lots of cool info and that was way before dbstalk.com was around. I still have a few copies from 1998.
HD Snob - "Friends Don't Let Friends Watch Cable".
Electrical/RF Engineer & Inspector
DirecTV Equipment: HR24-200, HR24-100, 5LNB Slimline, AM21, SWiM 8 installed (MRV)
HR-2x Configuration: Native OFF. Units OFF when not in use.
TVs: 2 Panasonic Plasma TV's each using HDMI (one 1080p/one 720p)
DirecTV customer since 1998. Plus HD DVR package w/ NHL Center Ice & MLB Extra Innings.
OTA Antenna: Homebrew UHF & VHF antennas w/ 30dB amplifier fed w/ RG-6 Quad-shield coax.

#6 OFFLINE   markfp

markfp

Legend

• Registered
  • 189 posts

Posted 24 July 2010 - 09:04 PM

[quote name='paulman182']DirecTV's magazine is Access DirecTV. Satellite Direct is an independent magazine

You're correct, of course. I misread the original post. I was actually talking about DirecTV's Access magazine. I use to subscribe to Satellite Direct, but let my subscription lapse because I can get more updated info online for free. At one time ,it was available each month at Barnes & Noble, but I haven't seen one there in a long time

As for OnSat magazine, I use to subscribe to that when it was a weekly, but let it go when it went monthly. It's my understanding that it went out of business last year.

#7 OFFLINE   kevinwill1

kevinwill1

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 15 posts

Posted 24 July 2010 - 10:01 PM

Thanks for the responses, everyone. It looks like I am going to give up on this one. Have a good weekend!

KEVIN W

spam firewall