Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

HR24 Luck out rate

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   epifano83

epifano83

Mentor

• Registered
  • 44 posts

Posted 22 July 2010 - 07:23 PM

I was looking at getting a hr24 dvr from directv they are offering me a HD DVR upgrade for $99. But I was wandering what everyone luck out rate was that have place a order for a new HD DVR?

What models have dtv sent you ordering through the mail or having it droped in by a tech? Have you guys received the new receive or gotten the old version?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   HDTVsportsfan

HDTVsportsfan

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,746 posts

Posted 22 July 2010 - 07:53 PM

If you were getting the Connected Home package you would be getting the HR24's. For just an HD DVR uprade you could get any of the currently supported receivers; HR20/21/22/23. It's basically a 50/50 crap shoot of what you will get.
DBSTalk Chat Room Mod (I reserve the right to be wrong.)

AT9 to SWM16
LR: HR24-100 to Panasonic 50" w/ Sony HTIB/FR: HR20-700 to Samsung LN55B640
Office: HR34-700 to Panasonic 50" w/ HD-A2
Office: H21-200 to 36" SD TV/BR: HR21-200 to Samsung 32" LCD
My full setup in Visio: http://www.dbstalk.c...8&postcount=105

#3 OFFLINE   chscott

chscott

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 22 posts

Posted 22 July 2010 - 08:15 PM

If you were getting the Connected Home package you would be getting the HR24's. For just an HD DVR uprade you could get any of the currently supported receivers; HR20/21/22/23. It's basically a 50/50 crap shoot of what you will get.

I am getting the Connected Home package tomorrow upgrading from 2 DirecTivo SD boxes to 1 HD DVR / 1 HD Receiver. I am crossing my fingers.

#4 OFFLINE   crkeehn

crkeehn

Godfather

• Registered
  • 348 posts

Posted 23 July 2010 - 08:03 AM

I should get my HD install tomorrow morning. No MRV or anything, just a switch from SD to HD service. I'll let you know what I am blessed with.

#5 OFFLINE   joed32

joed32

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,648 posts

Posted 23 July 2010 - 09:56 AM

I ordered an HD receiver on line to use as a central control for my all DVR set up with MRV. Received an H23, it was free with a $25 fee for a remote. It works beautifully. Nice back lit remote too, the one in the receiver box wasn't even RF which I need. I know I'm supposed to be angry that I didn't get an H24 but as long as it works I'm good.

#6 OFFLINE   epifano83

epifano83

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 44 posts

Posted 23 July 2010 - 04:11 PM

Alright I finally folded and decided not to do the work myself but called up DTV and worked out a deal with them, the order shows the following ( Item Description Price Quantity Total
Whole-Home DVR Service 1
HD Access 1
DIRECTV DVR - Swapped Free 1 Free
DIRECTV DVR - Swapped Free 1 Free
DIRECTV® HD Rec. (Expanded HD Prog. Capable) Free 1 Free
Sales Order Credit ($49.00) 1 ($49.00)
Sales Order Credit ($99.00) 1 ($99.00)
Professional Installation $49.00 1 $49.00
DIRECTV® Whole-Home DVR Upgrade w/Internet Connection Kit $99.00 1 $99.00
Standard Professional Install Free
Tax $7.36
Order Total $106.36)

But what the CSR told me was that they would upgrade me to 3 SD R16, 1 HD-DVR and 1-HD-Receiver.
I am a bit confused her as the work orders says DIRECTV® HD Rec. (Expanded HD Prog. Capable) this looks like a HD RECEIVER and not a HD DVR. What do you guys think or has anyone had a simulare work order? what did they give you?

This is my current setup (1) D11-500 (2) R15-100 (1) R16-300 (1)HR23-700, I am assuming there replacing the R15s, and the D11-500.

What do you all think?

#7 OFFLINE   epifano83

epifano83

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 44 posts

Posted 23 July 2010 - 04:13 PM

As for the equipment I do currently have the SWM lnb, splitter and deca adapter, band stop filters I will sell and maybe even recomp some of the money I spent! :)

#8 OFFLINE   marquitos2

marquitos2

Legend

• Registered
  • 125 posts

Posted 23 July 2010 - 05:45 PM

There nothing wrong with the HR23-700, had one and I was please with the unit.
Marquitos

#9 OFFLINE   epifano83

epifano83

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 44 posts

Posted 23 July 2010 - 07:39 PM

I agree there nothing wrong with hr23 that's in the living room but I was hoping to getting the hr24 with less cables to hang in the back of the receiver for the bedroom, I hate to have so many cables in the back of my electronics!

#10 OFFLINE   crkeehn

crkeehn

Godfather

• Registered
  • 348 posts

Posted 24 July 2010 - 02:41 PM

I should get my HD install tomorrow morning. No MRV or anything, just a switch from SD to HD service. I'll let you know what I am blessed with.

I wasn't blessed with anything. Due to a line of sight issue with a number of very large trees, they were unable to upgrade me to HD service. The initial installer did indicate that the DVR he had for me was an HR20.

#11 OFFLINE   compnurd

compnurd

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,136 posts
  • LocationEvans City PA

Posted 24 July 2010 - 06:56 PM

I wasn't blessed with anything. Due to a line of sight issue with a number of very large trees, they were unable to upgrade me to HD service. The initial installer did indicate that the DVR he had for me was an HR20.

What? If you have 101 you should have very little issues get 99/103. I think you had a lazy installer

SWM-16
HR44
2-C-41
HR24
2-H25

#12 OFFLINE   ibmman69

ibmman69

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 23 posts

Posted 24 July 2010 - 08:54 PM

@crkeehn

I received an HR24 and H24 today. My installer said if someone calls in a no line of sight that a supervisor has to come out and check behind them. Have you heard from a supervisor? Where in Raleigh are you?

#13 OFFLINE   epifano83

epifano83

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 44 posts

Posted 24 July 2010 - 10:53 PM

When I worked for Mastec about three years ago it was the same deal with line of sight policy about the supervisor approving the cancelled job duo to line of sight.

Accept for if you worked so far away from the supervisors like I use to they wouldn't come out or QC my work or check on the line of sight issue. But then again I only cancelled one job like that, I offered to put a pull mount for the guy but he didn't want it.

On the other hand I sure do hope I get HR24, when the tech arrives I will have some cold cokes for him to take on the road. I sure did appreciate it when people sent me with cold drinks like that it sure did make my day :) those customers I use go out of my way to help out!

#14 OFFLINE   epifano83

epifano83

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 44 posts

Posted 24 July 2010 - 11:01 PM

To make the job easier for the tech I used my cable maper to find which cable went to what room and labeled the cables, I also installed a new outlet to where I keep my network equipment for the DECA adapter, therefor all he has to do I swap out the LNB or SWM Multiswitch, plug in the receiver and activate!

#15 OFFLINE   JJEZ96

JJEZ96

Mentor

• Registered
  • 31 posts

Posted 24 July 2010 - 11:04 PM

I called retetion and asked if they would give me a credit if I bought my own HR24. They gave me a credit of $199. I ordered a HR24 from 6th avenue. Essentially got me a HR24 for free. It is much faster than any other model.

JJ

#16 OFFLINE   crkeehn

crkeehn

Godfather

• Registered
  • 348 posts

Posted 25 July 2010 - 04:44 AM

@crkeehn

I received an HR24 and H24 today. My installer said if someone calls in a no line of sight that a supervisor has to come out and check behind them. Have you heard from a supervisor? Where in Raleigh are you?

The supervisor came out that afternoon and confirmed what the installer had said. I am in North Raleigh in a settled neighborhood with very tall trees. I receive SD service as they are able to see the satellite through a notch between two trees. It provides just enough access. Unfortunately those same two trees block access to the HD satellites. The installer spent quite a bit of time during his visit, trying to find a place where he could get line of sight. The supervisor also did.

Unfortunately, my entire yard is surrounded by very high trees. It makes it cool and pleasant until you try and see a satellite, then it stinks.

#17 OFFLINE   Manctech

Manctech

Icon

• Registered
  • 542 posts

Posted 25 July 2010 - 05:33 AM

What? If you have 101 you should have very little issues get 99/103. I think you had a lazy installer

VERY untrue. You would think 2 degrees would not make a difference but it does. Especially with HD. I've had jobs where I could get the 99 and 101, but the 103 was clipped.

TWC Technician (Huntersville, Cornelius, Davidson Area)

#18 OFFLINE   Manctech

Manctech

Icon

• Registered
  • 542 posts

Posted 25 July 2010 - 05:34 AM

To make the job easier for the tech I used my cable maper to find which cable went to what room and labeled the cables, I also installed a new outlet to where I keep my network equipment for the DECA adapter, therefor all he has to do I swap out the LNB or SWM Multiswitch, plug in the receiver and activate!

I wish all customers were like you. Although we have to be careful using pre-mapped cables. In your case I would feel confident in doing so, but builders on the other hand I rarely trust.

I've had jobs where the kitchen was the living room and the bathroom was the master bedroom. Not a single one were right.

TWC Technician (Huntersville, Cornelius, Davidson Area)

#19 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,689 posts

Posted 25 July 2010 - 06:08 AM

VERY untrue. You would think 2 degrees would not make a difference but it does. Especially with HD. I've had jobs where I could get the 99 and 101, but the 103 was clipped.

Agreed....it is almost amazing to see the results with one slight adjustment for 103, for example...resulting is significant gain or loss in signal levels.

Having seen this completed at a friend's home and my own in 2010...done right by someone with experience...it should take less than 15 minutes to properly do the dish alignment to get peaked levels.
DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

#20 OFFLINE   ibmman69

ibmman69

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 23 posts

Posted 25 July 2010 - 07:41 AM

The supervisor came out that afternoon and confirmed what the installer had said. I am in North Raleigh in a settled neighborhood with very tall trees. I receive SD service as they are able to see the satellite through a notch between two trees. It provides just enough access. Unfortunately those same two trees block access to the HD satellites. The installer spent quite a bit of time during his visit, trying to find a place where he could get line of sight. The supervisor also did.

Unfortunately, my entire yard is surrounded by very high trees. It makes it cool and pleasant until you try and see a satellite, then it stinks.

That sucks man. I'm in a similar situation. There is only on place at the edge of my yard where there aren't trees because my neighbor's yard is clear cut. My lot and everywhere else around me is nothing but trees. First he said he didn't know if I had line of sight, but I took the tech right to the clear line of sight spot I found. He had to go to the right about 2 feet from where I took him, but then we were right on. I have 95+ on almost every transponder. Sorry you couldn't get setup. Can you lop off some limbs?

For the record, I offered my tech's some drinks and they declined.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...