Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Direct tv receiver hr23-700

new install

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   ADDlCTlON

ADDlCTlON

• Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 22 July 2010 - 09:28 PM

Hi, newb to dish. What can I do with this receiver that was given to me DirectTV HR23-700, it has a balance that would make it not worth paying off. Can I sell it or use it? :) thanks for any help.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   TITAN_53

TITAN_53

Godfather

• Registered
  • 435 posts

Posted 22 July 2010 - 09:36 PM

Hi, newb to dish. What can I do with this receiver that was given to me DirectTV HR23-700, it has a balance that would make it not worth paying off. Can I sell it or use it? :) thanks for any help.

Are you saying that the account the unit came from owes a balance?

#3 OFFLINE   matt

matt

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,858 posts

Posted 22 July 2010 - 10:26 PM

It's may be leased too. Call D* and ask them if it is owned or leased, if it is leased, it just belongs to D* and can't ever be turned on.

How much is the balance?
Slimline 5 with SWM-16
Wireless DECA
HR34-700!
R22-200 Leased
Owned H25-700 and H24-700 off and packed for the move.

DIRECTV subscriber since Nov. 2009

#4 OFFLINE   Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson

6EQUJ5 WOW!

• Moderators
  • 13,953 posts

Posted 23 July 2010 - 04:42 AM

Welcome to DBSTalk ADDICTION. :welcome_s

I'll assume you're new to DirecTV and not Dish because this receiver will not work with Dish Network.

How do you know it has a balance on it?

The first thing you need to figure out is whether this is a leased or owned receiver by calling DirecTV.

If it's a leased unit the person who gave it to you, the one with the outstanding balance, is going to have to pay a non-returned receiver fee. IIRC, the current fee for an HD DVR is $480. And, that's on top of the outstanding balance. :eek2:

If it’s an owned receiver then someone will have to pay the outstanding balance before you’ll be able to activate it. DirecTV usually won't activate a receiver with an outstanding balance.

The only way to determine the owned/leased status is to call DirecTV. Just because the original subscriber may have purchased it from a retailer such as Best Buy or Costco, it will still be a lease. It’s very rare for one of these receivers to be owned. I would make sure of that receivers status before deciding anything else.

Additionally, if you wind up keeping it, you'll have to get a new access card. The old one will not work on your account. Again, you'll have to call DirecTV to get a new one.

Mike

µß
Since it costs 2.4¢ to produce a penny, my 2¢ worth is really 4.8¢ worth.  That 4.8¢ is my own and not the 4.8¢ of DIRECTV, Dish, or anyone else for that matter.

#5 OFFLINE   Carl Spock

Carl Spock

Superfly

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,567 posts

Posted 23 July 2010 - 06:49 AM

Welcome to DBSTalk ADDICTION. :welcome_s

I wish somebody would have warned me after my first post about how addicting this place was... :nono:

;)

ADDICTION, listen to these guys. Somebody is going to get stuck with a heck of a bill because this DVR wasn't returned. Plus it is useless to you.

And welcome! :)
hangin' with the bros at 40 Eridani A

#6 OFFLINE   Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson

6EQUJ5 WOW!

• Moderators
  • 13,953 posts

Posted 23 July 2010 - 06:54 AM

I wish somebody would have warned me after my first post about how addicting this place was... :nono:

;)

ADDICTION, listen to these guys. Somebody is going to get stuck with a heck of a bill because this DVR wasn't returned. Plus it is useless to you.

And welcome! :)

It's the place to be when you need the info. ;)

Mike

Mudd's Women...one of my top ten favorites. :D

µß
Since it costs 2.4¢ to produce a penny, my 2¢ worth is really 4.8¢ worth.  That 4.8¢ is my own and not the 4.8¢ of DIRECTV, Dish, or anyone else for that matter.

#7 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,363 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 23 July 2010 - 07:22 AM

Unfortunately, you can sell it on eBay or Craigslist. Scummy thing to do to someone, but I keep an eye on eBay daily and I always call the Access Card Team when a new listing for an HR shows up. I'd say, about 95% of the time the HR that is being sold is leased (can't buy a new access card for a leased HR and D* won't activate it) or owned and still activated (can't buy an access card for one like that until the HR is deactivated) and then the rare owned, deactivated, no balance on the account HR shows up and for that you can buy an access card and D* will activate it.

You gotta feel sorry for the people that purchase leased HRs, they obviously have no clue and they won't be able to activate them. They usually turn around and resell it on eBay or CL. This is a real case of "caveat emptor". And as I said, it's a scummy thing to do. But you can sell them. And it looks as if no one's checking the offerings anymore.

The eBay sellers that just have a few feedbacks are usually selling the leased receivers out of ignorance, but the guys with thousands of feedbacks, the "power sellers" know that the HRs are leased and sell them anyway.

The best thing to do with an eBay or CL listing is to call the Access Card Team and give them the RID number found inside the access card port. They will tell you right away if the HR is leased or owned and whether there is a balance on the account of the person who holds the lease or even if the account is in "collections".

Again, deliberately selling a leased HR is a scummy thing to do, but, apparently, there is nothing to stop you from doing it. Watch those "power sellers", they'll sell you anything in any shape and will usually lie when confronted with proof that the HRs are leased.

Rich

#8 OFFLINE   Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson

6EQUJ5 WOW!

• Moderators
  • 13,953 posts

Posted 23 July 2010 - 07:40 AM

I don't think we know the owned/leased status of the receiver yet, but you're right Rich, one should not sell something they don't own.

However, if it's leased I would suggeste the OP return it to whom ever gave it to him/her. There is absolutely nothing he/she can do with a receiver that's leased to another account.

Mike

µß

#9 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,363 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 23 July 2010 - 08:31 AM

I don't think we know the owned/leased status of the receiver yet, but you're right Rich, one should not sell something they don't own.

However, if it's leased I would suggeste the OP return it to whom ever gave it to him/her. There is absolutely nothing he/she can do with a receiver that's leased to another account.

Mike

That would be taking the high road. Damn shame how many leased HRs are showing up on eBay. Don't see many on CL. A couple of days ago, there were so many I got sick of checking for owned ones and gave up. For those of you who are considering purchasing an HR on eBay or CL, here's the direct number to reach the Access Card Team: 877-887-7994.

On a couple of occasions I have been given misinformation by the Access Card Team and now, before I bid on an HR, I call twice to verify that the HR is, indeed, owned.

Rich

#10 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,363 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 23 July 2010 - 08:36 AM

Mike

The other thing to consider is that the person who got the 23 originally is gonna get charged for that unit sometime up the road. Kinda hard to believe that any 23 is "owned" by an MDU dweller, but I suppose it's possible. They would have had to get it just before D* changed the rules for MDUs a couple of years ago. Or was it last summer? Can't remember.

Rich

#11 OFFLINE   Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson

6EQUJ5 WOW!

• Moderators
  • 13,953 posts

Posted 23 July 2010 - 09:04 AM

The other thing to consider is that the person who got the 23 originally is gonna get charged for that unit sometime up the road. Kinda hard to believe that any 23 is "owned" by an MDU dweller, but I suppose it's possible. They would have had to get it just before D* changed the rules for MDUs a couple of years ago. Or was it last summer? Can't remember.

Rich

I must be missing something. Where does an MDU come into this. :confused:

AFAIK, the OP hasn't said anything about living in an MDU nor that the person who gave it to him lived in an MDU.

Did I miss something? :scratchin

Mike

µß

#12 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,363 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 23 July 2010 - 12:01 PM

I must be missing something. Where does an MDU come into this. :confused:

AFAIK, the OP hasn't said anything about living in an MDU nor that the person who gave it to him lived in an MDU.

Did I miss something? :scratchin

Mike

The majority of the "owned" HRs that I've found, in fact all of them, have been from MDU folks. From that, I'm assuming if that 23 is indeed owned it must have come from an MDU. Or not. Don't really know how to get an owned unit except to buy one from an MDU person. I guess there are ways, but I'd be willing to bet that his is leased.

Rich

#13 OFFLINE   ADDlCTlON

ADDlCTlON

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 23 July 2010 - 12:46 PM

thanks for all the replies. I called them they said it is leased and the account is past due 229.93, and even if i pay of the 229.93 it would be non-transferable.

#14 OFFLINE   Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson

6EQUJ5 WOW!

• Moderators
  • 13,953 posts

Posted 23 July 2010 - 12:54 PM

thanks for all the replies. I called them they said it is leased and the account is past due 229.93, and even if i pay of the 229.93 it would be non-transferable.

Not only does the original subscriber owe the $229.93, they also owe $470 for the non-returned receiver fee...a grand total of $699.93 :eek2:

Bummer for someone. Good thing you found out though. Especially since you could order one online for $199 and it's good to go. ;)

Mike

µß

#15 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,363 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 23 July 2010 - 02:15 PM

That's what folks face when they buy on the Net and don't know what the proper way to do it is. I really wonder how people get away with this sort of thing. I'm one of three people in the town I live in with the same name and I've got the only listed phone number. You wouldn't believe the bill collectors that used to call me. Apparently, lots of people owe lots of money that they simply can't pay. Especially the other two Rich's in town. :)

Rich

#16 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,363 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 23 July 2010 - 02:17 PM

Not only does the original subscriber owe the $229.93, they also owe $470 for the non-returned receiver fee...a grand total of $699.93 :eek2:

Bummer for someone. Good thing you found out though. Especially since you could order one online for $199 and it's good to go. ;)

Mike

Wouldn't you think the people that have that account would be deluged with mail and phone calls from D*?

Rich

#17 OFFLINE   Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson

6EQUJ5 WOW!

• Moderators
  • 13,953 posts

Posted 23 July 2010 - 02:43 PM

Wouldn't you think the people that have that account would be deluged with mail and phone calls from D*?

Rich

You would think. :shrug:

I guess they are ignoring it or maybe it hasn't started yet. Either way someone will hear about it. ;)

Mike

µß

Protected By... spam firewall...And...