Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

HR21 Networking Trouble

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Lowkey

Lowkey

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 16 posts

Posted 22 July 2010 - 10:17 PM

I have a "new" HR21 and I'm trying to get my network connected again. I just had the old HR21 replaced due to a serious malfunction. I had only recently managed to get that one connected to my home network and I loved being able to view my recorded shows on my laptop from anywhere in the house. I did nothing to actively set up the old dvr on my network other than connecting the ethernet cable. It just appeared one day when I was browsing my network with my laptop. I picked up the Directv2pc app and loved it. Now...new dvr and no ethernet connection. I've tried entering the network info manually through advanced setup as well as using the auto connection values. Nothing works and the ethernet ports do not light up on the new receiver like on the old one. I've tried both ports...the old one used port 2.
`All that said...is there a way to get the ethernet ports to "turn on"? I know there is the new MRV option but I really don't need that yet as I am planning on upgrading in the future. Here's as much info as I can think to offer if there's anything else let me know and I'll provide any data I can.

HR21-200 0x3de
Win 7 Laptop
DSL Router Actiontec GT series (i think)

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Registered
  • 10,253 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 23 July 2010 - 01:42 PM

Generally, you use Ethernet Port 1 (although some receivers do use Port 1). As for the port not lighting up, that is an issue. That means that it does not see a connection with the cable at all. This could be due to a bad cable, bad port, or a bad port on the other end of the cable. If you rule out the cable and the other port, then it is most likely an issue with the ethernet port on the receiver.

If you get the MRV upgrade, as the ethernet port is needed fo rthe HR21, they would swap out your receiver for a working model.

- Merg

Today's problems don't worry me, I haven't solved yesterday's yet.

SlimLine-3 Dish w/ SWM16 (HD Service / WHDVR) / Full Setup
HR34-700 / Panasonic TC-P50G25 HDTV / HDMI / Networked - DECA / Family Room
HR44-700 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

HR24-100 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

#3 OFFLINE   Lowkey

Lowkey

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 16 posts

Posted 23 July 2010 - 02:03 PM

Thanks for the info. I'll try swapping out the cable. I know it worked with the other dvr but it could have been part of the trouble in getting that one connected as well.

#4 OFFLINE   Lowkey

Lowkey

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 16 posts

Posted 31 July 2010 - 02:28 AM

Update...swapped ethernet cables and now I have internet access but I can't get DirecTv2PC to work again. Do I have to reinstall since I have a new receiver? Feel free to move this thread if necessary.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...