Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Is this the norm for DTV?

• Please log in to reply
57 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 19,418 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 25 July 2010 - 08:33 AM

Installers also are not controlled by DTV.

Until you are given the option to pick one, you sure don't have much control over what you get. The same goes for the hardware.

The installers work/contract for DIRECTV and as such, they are agents of DIRECTV.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#42 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,439 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 25 July 2010 - 10:16 AM

God that was hard to read.

I turned in a weekly report like that once and my boss ripped me. Did some research very quickly and found out lots of interesting stuff. No one wants to read long paragraphs.

It's easier for people to read long reports, or posts in our case, that are broken up into "sub-paragraphs.

Sounds like something is wrong with your receiver, but you are going to have to let the tech come look at it. Sorry you got a bum one, but the HR22 is an allright machine, you just have something wrong with yours.

We probably need our resident expert on the HR22-100, Mike Greer, to weigh in here with his opinion of the 22-100.

Rich

#43 OFFLINE   usnret

usnret

Icon

• Registered
  • 587 posts

Posted 25 July 2010 - 10:34 AM

Welcome to the forum devaska1. Glad you took the comments the right way. Everyone makes mistakes. Even the "correctors".
Oh, and GO SIOUX :-)

#44 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,439 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 25 July 2010 - 10:35 AM

So now that I have an HR24-100 DVR and everything in my D* world is for the moment perfect, I am wondering why D* would risk pissing off, or even potentially losing new customers by giving them used equipment. Is it a supply issue with the HR24's, or is D* just hedging it's bets and praying that only so many subs get bum/bad refurbished equipment.

It's a combination of not enough 24s and I think they just send out the replacements without really testing them thoroughly.

It can't be cheap for them to send out techs and troubleshoot/replace refurbished equipment. Although, I'm not sure on what scale this is happening within the D* community.

I've never seen any signs of any replacement that I got being "refurbished" until I received a replacement 20-700 this week. Both little "doors" on each side of the front panel are new. The color difference is obvious. Of course, every time I open them, they fall off, but, at least, someone tried.

Using my own recent experiences as an example. I was excited to get D*, and aggravated when things didn't go as i expected regarding the installation and equipment issues. Even though I ended up being completely satisfied with the resolution to all aforementioned issues, I am wondering how the average consumer/subscriber fares when dealing with problems like i have in the past few weeks? After all not everyone has access to this forum and it's members knowledge base. Just sayin...

Actually, you got off easy. Go back and read the posts from late '06 and early '07 and you'll see what a lot of us went thru. I got my first HR in November of '06 and my system finally got fixed in April of '08.

You'll get used to the way D* does business. They take the path of least resistance at every opportunity. And it works!

Rich

#45 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,907 posts

Posted 25 July 2010 - 02:44 PM

Rich's experience is as valid as anyone's but mine differs.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#46 OFFLINE   devaska1

devaska1

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 45 posts

Posted 26 July 2010 - 09:20 PM

Apparently I'm due a credit for the missed tech appointment If that's the truth 50$ might make me even happier. I did that after I got an HR24 DVR and MRV hookup that everything was perfect but that's not entirely true. With the MRV service it works only with HD receivers and DVR's and I have 1 SD receiver too, why wouldn't the tech have let me know that MRV would only work on my HD machines. I would have asked to have the SD receiver switched for another HD model, now I of course after using this forum I know this. Does anyone think DTV will hook me up with another HD receiver for free or am I gonna have to pay. I want internet connectivity added for VOD too hopefully I can get it all done this week. (I have broadband cable through Comcast)

#47 OFFLINE   rjdude

rjdude

Legend

• Registered
  • 203 posts

Posted 26 July 2010 - 11:37 PM

If you have MRV, then the installer should have already made the connections on the receivers to your internet set-up. All you would need to do is go to the On Demand feature using the remote menu and start viewing what you have access to.

#48 OFFLINE   Alebob911

Alebob911

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,590 posts
  • LocationCERES,CA

Posted 26 July 2010 - 11:56 PM

As far as the free HD receiver, I would discuss the issues you had from the initial install and go from there. As far as the MRV, you should have been DECA connected to all receivers that are capable and then had an additional DECA module installed at your router to enable internet connectivity. Call D* and explain everything in a polite manner and if the rep is unable to help just keep asking for it to be escalated to the retention Dept. Trust me D* really wants new installs to go smoothly and without a hitch! It's their first impression and it has to count!

Good Luck!!

Apparently I'm due a credit for the missed tech appointment If that's the truth 50$ might make me even happier. I did that after I got an HR24 DVR and MRV hookup that everything was perfect but that's not entirely true. With the MRV service it works only with HD receivers and DVR's and I have 1 SD receiver too, why wouldn't the tech have let me know that MRV would only work on my HD machines. I would have asked to have the SD receiver switched for another HD model, now I of course after using this forum I know this. Does anyone think DTV will hook me up with another HD receiver for free or am I gonna have to pay. I want internet connectivity added for VOD too hopefully I can get it all done this week. (I have broadband cable through Comcast)

#49 OFFLINE   Blaze

Blaze

Legend

• Registered
  • 195 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 12:43 AM

Apparently I'm due a credit for the missed appointment If that's the truth 50$ might make me even happier.

I don't know if you would get it now, you have to call them up when the Installer didn't show up or call. "HOWEVER" if they did note on your account that he failed to show call up.

Call the Retention Department for this don't speak to no one else about it.

#50 OFFLINE   devaska1

devaska1

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 45 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 11:39 AM

If you have MRV, then the installer should have already made the connections on the receivers to your internet set-up. All you would need to do is go to the On Demand feature using the remote menu and start viewing what you have access to.

Yeah, I thought the two MRV and VOD/Internet were part of the same process but no, I have MRV between my HR24 DVR and my H24 receiver. No Internet though! I didn't think to ask about Internet when i set up the MRV install argggg. I'm learning on the fly.

#51 OFFLINE   devaska1

devaska1

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 45 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 02:21 PM

I called DTV today and let them know that I was not happy with the missed appointment last week. I asked the CSR why I wasn't informed by the rep I first scheduled the appointment with or the tech who installed the MRV service, that it is not compatible with SD receivers . The first CSR I spoke with did not even know that an SD receiver can't be used with MRV. Not to mention that he didn't seem to be able to or want to help me with the missed appointment, or getting me connected to the internet for VOD.
He transfered me to a lady who works in the equipment/ordering department and she offered me an HD receiver to replace the SD, but she wanted me to pay 99$ plus equipment exchange fee and installation fees too. She didn't address the missed appointment or lack of information about MRV SD compatibility issues. I didn't find that acceptable and was then transfered to customer retention.
Ashley in retention, immediately apologized for my recent experiences and put me on hold for only about 5 minutes.(on call/hold for 50 min already) When she came back she offered to give me the HD receiver for free, no charges at all. Also I told her I wanted to have my receivers connected to the Internet and she offered that for free too.
Well, almost free she said i'd have to pay 50$ via credit card today and everything else would be covered.
I accepted albeit a little unwillingly, am I wrong to feel that it should have been completely free? And the soonest she could schedule me for a tech appointment is August 13th!!! Seems like I should not have to wait that long. I joked with her that there must only be one tech in Saint Paul and she asked me if Saint Paul is a big city. She said, If I was unhappy with the wait time for the tech visit that I should email her management group. Anybody with any experience here? thanks sorry about the length of my post...

Edited by devaska1, 27 July 2010 - 03:17 PM.

#52 OFFLINE   john18

john18

Icon

• DBSTalk Club
  • 980 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 02:58 PM

It seems as if that is an awfully long time for the installation. However, if it were me, I would accept the HD upgrade and Internet Connection Kit for $50.00 as being a fair resolution of the affair.

8/13/2010?

#53 OFFLINE   devaska1

devaska1

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 45 posts

Posted 23 August 2010 - 09:22 PM

well they brought me an H24-100 receiver, and the ICK, but MRV still only works sporadically this is disappointing. I'm still getting the No Data Packets error when i try to play recordings on either of my H24 receivers. Some days it works all day some days not at all. I didn't get a credit for the missed appointment and I paid 50$ to get Internet/VOD and MRV that works when it wants to. When will there be some official announcement that there are issues with MRV playback? Specifically the playback data packet issue. I feel like i've been on the phone with DTV more than I have watched it.

#54 OFFLINE   Moosestache

Moosestache

AllStar

• Registered
  • 84 posts

Posted 24 August 2010 - 03:50 AM

I'm not the paragraph police but if you state a negative comment about someone not being able to speak English, and you can't write legible.
That's like the pot calling the kettle black.

Not sure about the irony here.

#55 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,439 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 24 August 2010 - 08:01 AM

Not sure about the irony here.

Sadly, after a while you get used to it and can actually figure out what was meant. If posters would just "preview" their posts before hitting the "submit" button, they might actually see how unreadable their posts are.

Rich

#56 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,439 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 24 August 2010 - 08:05 AM

well they brought me an H24-100 receiver, and the ICK, but MRV still only works sporadically this is disappointing. I'm still getting the No Data Packets error when i try to play recordings on either of my H24 receivers. Some days it works all day some days not at all. I didn't get a credit for the missed appointment and I paid 50$ to get Internet/VOD and MRV that works when it wants to. When will there be some official announcement that there are issues with MRV playback? Specifically the playback data packet issue. I feel like i've been on the phone with DTV more than I have watched it.

I have twelve HRs on my DECA system and have no problems at all. I know this is not what you want to hear, but it's true. I get the "No Data Packets" thing when someone else is using the HDD that I want to access. I think that is normal.

Rich

#57 OFFLINE   wavemaster

wavemaster

Godfather

• Registered
  • 431 posts

Posted 24 August 2010 - 08:29 AM

Hey hilmar2k I did time the response times from the remote to DVR and it's always at least 7 secs sometimes 9! This still seems long to me. Thanks

We recently had a replacement DVR sent out to fix a bad one it was a refurbed HR22 that was sent.

It took the unit over 30 min to boot and key presses took 7-10 seconds on just about everything.

It was a bad unit. You have a bad unit. (lol - maybe the same one)

#58 OFFLINE   swans

swans

Legend

• Registered
  • 248 posts

Posted 24 August 2010 - 10:59 AM

The no data packets error and pixelation are rare for me now a days. I'd say you have a cabling/connection issue somewhere. Now the audio drops is another story.:nono2:

Protected By... spam firewall...And...