Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

No Mad Men in HD for D* or E*

• Please log in to reply
68 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Mark Walters

Mark Walters

Legend

• Registered
  • 240 posts

Posted 23 July 2010 - 08:33 AM

From everybody's favorite -- Swanni :lol:

http://www.tvpredict.../smad072310.htm

I think he should of put Rainbow Media's contact information as well. I would guess they are the main culprit as to why AMC has not been added in HD on satellite television. With everyone complaining of price increases by D* & E* every year, this is a time I'm happy with them sticking to their guns.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   jasondm4

jasondm4

Mentor

• Registered
  • 51 posts
  • LocationLeague City, TX

Posted 23 July 2010 - 12:18 PM

You would think Rainbow Media would be eager to get AMC HD on D* and E* and negotiate with some decent pricing for the provider. I guess that's not the case with them though. :(

Directv customer since 2007.
Choice Ultimate + HD Extra Pack Subscriber

Living Room: HR44-500 Genie HD DVR
Master: HR24-500 HD DVR
Guest Room: C41-100 Genie Mini Client

MRV

Slimline 3S SWM

#3 OFFLINE   LarryFlowers

LarryFlowers

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,290 posts

Posted 23 July 2010 - 12:22 PM

From everybody's favorite -- Swanni :lol:

http://www.tvpredict.../smad072310.htm

I think he should of put Rainbow Media's contact information as well. I would guess they are the main culprit as to why AMC has not been added in HD on satellite television. With everyone complaining of price increases by D* & E* every year, this is a time I'm happy with them sticking to their guns.

Leave it to Swanni to state the obvious!

I want every channel in HD to be on DirecTV BUT I also want DirecTV who for all practical purposes represents us in these matters to fight companies inflated notions of their value.

Mad Men by itself is not justification for a major increase in price. Show me even a prime time schedule that's all HD and I'll cut them some slack, but one show? Face it, AMC may have other HD but the show everyone is upset about is Mad Men.

So DirecTV... stand your ground!
Larry R. Flowers
Winder (Atlanta) GA
Twitter @larryflowers
HR20-700 HR23-700 H24-100
1st DirecTV Receiver Install Nov 1994
i'm a PC Guy

#4 OFFLINE   ajc68

ajc68

Icon

• Registered
  • 667 posts

Posted 23 July 2010 - 12:32 PM

I would think that Rainbow Media is using the timing to ask for even more from the providers. It's probably why we never seem to get these networks/HD feeds when we want them, but rather when they are less significant. And who knows where the current contract stands and how adding an HD feed would affect it? I would say there's a 0.2% chance we get to watch Season 4 of Mad Men in HD on D*.

#5 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,123 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 23 July 2010 - 12:35 PM

If you must see Mad Men in HD and can't wait for BluRay, then I suggest torrents or VOD streaming.
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#6 OFFLINE   slimoli

slimoli

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,979 posts

Posted 23 July 2010 - 01:14 PM

Leave it to Swanni to state the obvious!

I want every channel in HD to be on DirecTV BUT I also want DirecTV who for all practical purposes represents us in these matters to fight companies inflated notions of their value.

Mad Men by itself is not justification for a major increase in price. Show me even a prime time schedule that's all HD and I'll cut them some slack, but one show? Face it, AMC may have other HD but the show everyone is upset about is Mad Men.

So DirecTV... stand your ground!

It's not only Mad men. AMC series are very good and that's why they are getting so many awards. Breaking Bad is my favorite and Rubicon looks very promising too. I would be very happy to pay 2 or 3 bucks more for AMC-HD, I'm paying much more to watch the shows in HD from Amazon VOD since Directv SD is absolutely unwatchable on a large screen TV.

I do agree, though, that this should be made "a la carte" and not footing the bill to all subscribers. I pay for more than 150 channels I never watch, let me pay for something I really like.
Standard Definition Causes Lung Cancer, Heart Disease, Emphysema, And May Complicate Pregnancy.

My gear:
http://www.dbstalk.c...931#post2931931

#7 OFFLINE   itzme

itzme

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,566 posts

Posted 23 July 2010 - 01:18 PM

If you must see Mad Men in HD and can't wait for BluRay, then I suggest torrents or VOD streaming.

There aren't any HD Mad Men in Directv's VOD. Right?

#8 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,123 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 23 July 2010 - 01:18 PM

There aren't any HD Mad Men in Directv's VOD. Right?

I didn't say Directv's VOD. ;)
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#9 OFFLINE   Satelliteracer

Satelliteracer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,042 posts

Posted 23 July 2010 - 02:06 PM

The tango is a difficult dance to learn.
DIRECTV employee

All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#10 OFFLINE   dcowboy7

dcowboy7

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,650 posts
  • LocationPequannock, NJ

Posted 23 July 2010 - 02:11 PM

New drinking game....

Everytime satracer uses the word "tango" in a post. :lol:

#11 OFFLINE   Michael P

Michael P

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,941 posts

Posted 23 July 2010 - 02:18 PM

Some of the so-called HD channels we do get are just 4X3 letter boxed (side-bars). My biggest pet peeve is when a channel like CMT shows a movie in OAR with boxes on all sides. It seems nearly all the "music" channels (except Palladia) is this way.

Why do they bother to provide an "HD" channel when the only true HD shown are some of the commercials :P
An E* subscriber continuously since February 1997.

#12 OFFLINE   yosoyellobo

yosoyellobo

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,971 posts

Posted 23 July 2010 - 02:20 PM

Are they any Mad Men HD in torrents and is it illegal to download them?

#13 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 23 July 2010 - 02:21 PM

Some of the so-called HD channels we do get are just 4X3 letter boxed (side-bars). My biggest pet peeve is when a channel like CMT shows a movie in OAR with boxes on all sides. It seems nearly all the "music" channels (except Palladia) is this way.

Why do they bother to provide an "HD" channel when the only true HD shown are some of the commercials :P

Blame the content provider rather than the service provider. The folks who run those channels/networks need to step up and offer more HD programming.
DTV = Digital Television

#14 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,123 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 23 July 2010 - 02:31 PM

:grin: Feel lucky?

#15 OFFLINE   dhkinil

dhkinil

Icon

• Registered
  • 659 posts

Posted 23 July 2010 - 02:42 PM

I have seen skilled people tango in South America, it is difficult, but I think on another note, the bigger issue is that one can now download MadMen in HD on Amazon the day after it airs. Not cheap, but I bet this is a first inkling of the future. I watch a lot of Netflix streaming movies via my BD player and the picture is pretty good with a 5 mbps connection, I figure when I get a higher speed connection from U Verse, internet, not TV, the picture will be even a bit better.

#16 OFFLINE   yosoyellobo

yosoyellobo

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,971 posts

Posted 23 July 2010 - 02:55 PM

:grin: Feel lucky?

I am taking that for a no.:)

#17 OFFLINE   cfkane

cfkane

AllStar

• Registered
  • 65 posts

Posted 23 July 2010 - 03:17 PM

Yes and Yes.

#18 OFFLINE   davidatl14

davidatl14

Icon

• Registered
  • 549 posts

Posted 23 July 2010 - 03:34 PM

In any form a Proper Tango is not easy to perform correctly.

I suspect even moreso when "Little Jimmy Dolan" is playing a key role in said Dance being properly executed.:)
May The Best of Your Past be the Worst of Your Future!

#19 OFFLINE   dcowboy7

dcowboy7

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,650 posts
  • LocationPequannock, NJ

Posted 23 July 2010 - 03:51 PM

Its funny theres an article @ tvbythenumbers saying that this show has never even gotten a 1.0 rating 18-49 yet.

#20 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,123 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 23 July 2010 - 04:04 PM

Its funny theres an article @ tvbythenumbers saying that this show has never even gotten a 1.0 rating 18-49 yet.

http://tvbythenumber...lts-18-49/58020

Interesting disclaimer from the author:

Disclaimer: I get that it probably doesn’t make that much difference to AMC whether the show averages a 0.8 rating with adults 18-49 or a 1.2 rating and that Mad Men does very well with high income viewers, and it brings a lot of attention to AMC. I also get that attention matters and not just for the advertising revenue, but also as Rainbow Media (AMC’s parent) tries to command higher per subscriber carriage fees from the cable & satellite companies.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...