Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

No Mad Men in HD for D* or E*

• Please log in to reply
68 replies to this topic

#61 OFFLINE   dhkinil

dhkinil

Icon

• Registered
  • 656 posts

Posted 29 July 2010 - 12:11 PM

Mad Men appeals to a very select audience and attracts viewers that are extremely attractive to advertisers. 3 million desirable viewers is better than 6 million of which 5 million are lowest common denominator.

Many of whom can afford dvr's and skip commercials. Within a few years the whole audience thing will be largely meaningless, if you have a dvr you can turn it on 15 minutes late, miss the commercials and still finish at about the same time.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#62 OFFLINE   dcowboy7

dcowboy7

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,637 posts
  • LocationPequannock, NJ

Posted 29 July 2010 - 12:47 PM

Mad Men appeals to a very select audience and attracts viewers that are extremely attractive to advertisers. 3 million desirable viewers is better than 6 million of which 5 million are lowest common denominator.

But it got a 0.9 in 18-49 (the desired demo) & thats about 1.2 million viewers not 3 million.

#63 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,867 posts

Posted 29 July 2010 - 01:08 PM

Look, clearly there's a market for the show because AMC keeps making it. So the advertising money must be worth it. Now, as to why it's not HD yet... I don't know what to tell you. Someone's playing hardball.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#64 OFFLINE   21hawk

21hawk

Legend

• Registered
  • 186 posts

Posted 29 July 2010 - 01:10 PM

But it got a 0.9 in 18-49 (the desired demo) & thats about 1.2 million viewers not 3 million.

Maybe they all downloaded it in HD? There is evidence to support that theory.

#65 OFFLINE   bwaldron

bwaldron

Impossible Dreamer

• Registered
  • 5,524 posts

Posted 29 July 2010 - 09:46 PM

Hey, we can turn down the color on our TVs, and with an overcompressed SD picture, imagine we're seeing the same sort of quality that Don gets on the tube in his apartment. Gets one into the period "feel." :)

HR23-700 --> Samsung UN65F6350AF LCD
HR23-700 --> JVC JLC47BC3002 LCD
H24-200 -->
Panasonic TH-50PX60U plasma

#66 OFFLINE   paulman182

paulman182

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,835 posts

Posted 30 July 2010 - 04:53 AM

Many of whom can afford dvr's and skip commercials. Within a few years the whole audience thing will be largely meaningless, if you have a dvr you can turn it on 15 minutes late, miss the commercials and still finish at about the same time.

We've had VCRs for a long time and advertising is still going strong.

Equipment includes a buncha stuff that I no longer have interest in detailing

#67 OFFLINE   dhkinil

dhkinil

Icon

• Registered
  • 656 posts

Posted 30 July 2010 - 07:39 AM

We've had VCRs for a long time and advertising is still going strong.

well, I watched some things via vcr and did skip through commercials. I got my first dvr about 5 years ago, and now except for the daily show and occasionally the morning news, I have not seen commercials for five years. I do not think I am alone.

The only exception is the very obvious product placement ads one sees occasionally, e.g., one for a Toyota Corolla in a mystery show, I think, "In Plain Sight."

#68 OFFLINE   gully_foyle

gully_foyle

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,289 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 01 August 2010 - 06:25 PM

Sigh. No Mad Men in HD tonight, and no Rubicon either. Coincidence? I think not.
DirecTV since 1994 // 2014Q2 Setup here

#69 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,961 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 01 August 2010 - 06:44 PM

Sigh. No Mad Men in HD tonight, and no Rubicon either. Coincidence? I think not.

No big deal...both are HD via the net. ;)
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...