Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

New DirecTV Installation

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   peterwray

peterwray

• Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 23 July 2010 - 11:40 AM

Hello All,
I've just activated an account with DirecTV and I have the basic package (Choice) and the equipment is the basic receiver with only one of the 3 LNB's hooked up on the slim line dish.

I am a full time RV'er and I will be moving around the US every two weeks.

The questions I have are these:

1. What satellite do I need to aim for? I'm not interested in trying to pick up local channels. I do have a have a sat pointing meter.

2. Is there a Sat pointing directory so I can download where I can point the satellite by way of ZIP code to get the Skew, AZ and Elevation?

I ask these questions because the installer is only familiar with the Oshkosh, Wisconsin area.

Thank you

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#2 OFFLINE   Manctech

Manctech

Icon

• Registered
  • 542 posts

Posted 23 July 2010 - 12:00 PM

Hello All,
I've just activated an account with DirecTV and I have the basic package (Choice) and the equipment is the basic receiver with only one of the 3 LNB's hooked up on the slim line dish.

I am a full time RV'er and I will be moving around the US every two weeks.

The questions I have are these:

1. What satellite do I need to aim for? I'm not interested in trying to pick up local channels. I do have a have a sat pointing meter.

2. Is there a Sat pointing directory so I can download where I can point the satellite by way of ZIP code to get the Skew, AZ and Elevation?

I ask these questions because the installer is only familiar with the Oshkosh, Wisconsin area.

Thank you

If you go through the setup on the reciever it asks for a zipcode. It will give you the azimuth, skew, and elevation.

The easiest setup is a basic standard definition dish. It is really really easy to aim and setup. If your mast is level you just set the elevation properly and rotate it till you get signal.

HD dishes are a bit harder to peak and require much much more fine tuning. I know you said you weren't worried about locals but the standard definition receivers have inputs for "Off Air" locals.

Some of the HD's do too, new models need the AM-21 which will incorporate them into your guide.

TWC Technician (Huntersville, Cornelius, Davidson Area)

#3 OFFLINE   peterwray

peterwray

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 23 July 2010 - 01:03 PM

Thank you for the info. My set up time was so quick and the installer was heading out to do 5 more installs.

Would you happen to know what Sat # I would be on in the basic receiver set up?

#4 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,129 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 23 July 2010 - 01:07 PM

Thank you for the info. My set up time was so quick and the installer was heading out to do 5 more installs.

Would you happen to know what Sat # I would be on in the basic receiver set up?

If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...