Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Buying a Directv HD DVR

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   gigascott

gigascott

Mentor

• Registered
  • 36 posts

Posted 23 July 2010 - 02:38 PM

I want to upgrade the Directv DVR in my bonus room to a HD DVR. I called Directv and they said that I could buy a HD DVR for around $160 but I would have to commit to Directv for another two years. I don't want to commit to Directv for another 2 years just in case something better comes along. Is there somewhere I can buy a new HD DVR? Thanks.

-gigascott

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,910 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 23 July 2010 - 02:40 PM

Ebay.
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#3 OFFLINE   Shaqdan

Shaqdan

Legend

• Registered
  • 138 posts

Posted 23 July 2010 - 03:44 PM

Amazon.com

#4 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,910 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 23 July 2010 - 04:06 PM

Amazon.com

The OP doesn't want to extend his contract.
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#5 OFFLINE   LarryFlowers

LarryFlowers

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,290 posts

Posted 23 July 2010 - 04:45 PM

You "buy" a dvr anywhere and when you activate it extends your contract 2 years, does it not?

Realistically... do you live in an area where you see verizon fios trucks? If not, then chances are your choices won't be changing for the next 2 years.
Larry R. Flowers
Winder (Atlanta) GA
Twitter @larryflowers
HR20-700 HR23-700 H24-100
1st DirecTV Receiver Install Nov 1994
i'm a PC Guy

#6 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,910 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 23 July 2010 - 04:49 PM

You "buy" a dvr anywhere and when you activate it extends your contract 2 years, does it not?

Owned DVRs do not extend your contract 2 years.

#7 OFFLINE   spartanstew

spartanstew

Dry as a bone

• Registered
  • 12,434 posts
  • LocationWylie, Texas

Posted 23 July 2010 - 04:54 PM

Owned DVRs do not extend your contract 2 years.

But just about the only place to "buy" an "owned" DVR is on Ebay, which was mentioned in the second post, so this thread has run its course.

I'm sure Directv can't wait to get their hands on your unit.

Directv customer since 2000

#8 OFFLINE   LOCODUDE

LOCODUDE

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,653 posts
  • LocationNew York

Posted 23 July 2010 - 05:32 PM

But just about the only place to "buy" an "owned" DVR is on Ebay, which was mentioned in the second post, so this thread has run its course.

Really?..... Wow......:)

Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it.

Confucius

#9 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,549 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 23 July 2010 - 05:38 PM

And more often than not, not even on eBay.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#10 OFFLINE   BattleZone

BattleZone

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 23 July 2010 - 06:09 PM

To expand:

Any retailer you order from will only offer LEASED equipment. What you are paying is the one-time lease fee. Even at full price ($199), the upfront cost for a leased receiver is much lower than buying the receiver from DirecTV outright ($499). And DirecTV is the only source to buy new equipment outright, except for the HR21 Pro.

So, the only other alternative is to buy a used, OWNED (not leased) receiver. The problem is that 80% of the receivers that are advertised as owned are actually leased (many don't understand the difference, and the rest just don't care that they're screwing someone over). If you are looking at an "owned" receiver, you need to get the access card and RID# and call DirecTV. Ask for the Access Card department, then give them those numbers and verify the receiver is owned, no longer active, and has a zero balance. If those things aren't true, move along.

#11 OFFLINE   matt

matt

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,858 posts

Posted 24 July 2010 - 12:26 AM

Just remember when you are thinking about buying a used receiver...

When buying a used receiver, you have to talk to the access card distribution team NOT A FRONT LINE CSR and check THREE things.

-The receiver must be owned
-The receiver must be disconnected
-The receiver must be tied to an account in good standing, not in collections.

It doesn't matter about pay per view and a balance pending on the card. The card gets replaced, that is what holds the charge. There is a way to reuse the card, but if you are dumb enough to hook it to a phone line or internet after using that method, you will get billed for any balance on the card. It is much less of a headache just to spend the $20 for the card.

Once you are ready to activate it with your new card, ignore the paper about the automated number, call D*, and politely but firmly insist on having the access card department activate it. Don't let a front line CSR activate it. If you follow the paper and use the automated number, it has been my experience that the automated system can't handle owned receivers and it transfers you to a front line CSR. In every case, a front line CSR, called either directly or sent from the automated system has only been able to add a receiver as leased, which messes everything up.

If there is an issue like a small past due balance or something like that where the ACDT rep tells you they can make an exception and go ahead and activate it for you, my best advice is to just walk away. In all cases, when calling to confirm it can be added to your account as owned, politely ask them to notate your account and copy/paste all the information into your notes so it is ready for when you order the card. They have been doing that automatically now lately, but it is always good to ask. It has been my experience that it is helpful to get their employee ID as well, in case there is an issue later.
Slimline 5 with SWM-16
Wireless DECA
HR34-700!
R22-200 Leased
Owned H25-700 and H24-700 off and packed for the move.

DIRECTV subscriber since Nov. 2009

spam firewall