Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Buying a Directv HD DVR

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   gigascott

gigascott

Mentor

• Registered
  • 36 posts

Posted 23 July 2010 - 02:47 PM

I want to upgrade the Directv SD DVR I have in my bonus room to a Directv HD DVR. I called Directv and they will sell me a HD DVR for around $160 but I will have to commit to stay with them for another 2 years. Is there somewhere I can buy a new or refurbished Directv HD DVR? Thanks.

-gigascott

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   drpjr

drpjr

Icon

• Registered
  • 722 posts

Posted 23 July 2010 - 02:52 PM

They will "sell" you a box that you will really be leasing. The cost is an upfront lease fee. $160 sounds like an odd number. Usually it's $99 or $199 or sometimes free. Have you checked online to see what comes up for you? I am assuming you already have HD service.
HR34/HR24-500/Mits WD73C8
HR20-100 HR24-500//Samsung UN55F6350AF
SWiM Network w/MRV
AT&T 2Wire Gateway Modem/Router

#3 OFFLINE   azarby

azarby

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,061 posts

Posted 23 July 2010 - 03:12 PM

I want to upgrade the Directv SD DVR I have in my bonus room to a Directv HD DVR. I called Directv and they will sell me a HD DVR for around $160 but I will have to commit to stay with them for another 2 years. Is there somewhere I can buy a new or refurbished Directv HD DVR? Thanks.

-gigascott

It's really hard to "buy" a DTV DVR these days unless you buy an "Owned " box from a private party. You could look at Ebay or Craig's List, but before you make the purchase, get the RID and call the DTV access card group and verify that it is really owned or if someone is trying to sell a leased unit. Also make sure there is no liabilty on the account. You will have to pay $20 for a new access card.

#4 OFFLINE   gigascott

gigascott

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 36 posts

Posted 23 July 2010 - 03:13 PM

I have found some weakness. Can I just buy one of these and use it with my current Directv account? Do I just get a card from Directv?

-gigascott

#5 OFFLINE   azarby

azarby

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,061 posts

Posted 23 July 2010 - 03:18 PM

I have found some weakness. Can I just buy one of these and use it with my current Directv account? Do I just get a card from Directv?

-gigascott

Are you sure you are buying a unit or is it a lease. Normally these online stores only have units that are leased. Read the fine print. I beleive the only box that they can sell you is the HR21PRO, all others are leased.

Quote from the weaknees site.

"Please note that DirecTV generally considers all new equipment activated after March, 2006 to be leased equipment"

#6 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,117 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 23 July 2010 - 03:20 PM

Deja vu. http://www.dbstalk.c...493#post2539493
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#7 OFFLINE   azarby

azarby

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,061 posts

Posted 23 July 2010 - 03:23 PM

-gigascott

Refurbs and"new" from authorized dealers already have the access card. From anyone else, you need to call DTV and purchase it from them.

#8 OFFLINE   matt

matt

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,858 posts

Posted 24 July 2010 - 12:27 AM

Deja vu or not...

When buying a used receiver, you have to talk to the access card distribution team NOT A FRONT LINE CSR and check THREE things.

-The receiver must be owned
-The receiver must be disconnected
-The receiver must be tied to an account in good standing, not in collections.

It doesn't matter about pay per view and a balance pending on the card. The card gets replaced, that is what holds the charge. There is a way to reuse the card, but if you are dumb enough to hook it to a phone line or internet after using that method, you will get billed for any balance on the card. It is much less of a headache just to spend the $20 for the card.

Once you are ready to activate it with your new card, ignore the paper about the automated number, call D*, and politely but firmly insist on having the access card department activate it. Don't let a front line CSR activate it. If you follow the paper and use the automated number, it has been my experience that the automated system can't handle owned receivers and it transfers you to a front line CSR. In every case, a front line CSR, called either directly or sent from the automated system has only been able to add a receiver as leased, which messes everything up.

If there is an issue like a small past due balance or something like that where the ACDT rep tells you they can make an exception and go ahead and activate it for you, my best advice is to just walk away. In all cases, when calling to confirm it can be added to your account as owned, politely ask them to notate your account and copy/paste all the information into your notes so it is ready for when you order the card. They have been doing that automatically now lately, but it is always good to ask. It has been my experience that it is helpful to get their employee ID as well, in case there is an issue later.
Slimline 5 with SWM-16
Wireless DECA
HR34-700!
R22-200 Leased
Owned H25-700 and H24-700 off and packed for the move.

DIRECTV subscriber since Nov. 2009

#9 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,340 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 24 July 2010 - 09:51 AM

-gigascott

There is an HR20-700 for sale on eBay right now with a 1.5TB HDD internal. The HR has never been activated, so it will be a leased unit when activated. You might be able to get it at a decent price. I already called ACT and they gave me the above info. Only reason I'm not buying it is I don't want another leased HR.

Look at this HR this way: It would cost you about $199 for a HD DVR from D*. Add to that the price of a 1.5TB internal and the time it took to put it in and if you can get it for around $300, it's a good buy. If it works. :)

Rich

#10 OFFLINE   billsharpe

billsharpe

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,305 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted 24 July 2010 - 10:47 AM

-gigascott

I suggest you call DirecTV and ask for promotions. I called last month to get the HD Access free for 24 months and was offered in addition to the $10 per month credit, without my asking, a second DVR free of extra cost. I had to extend my commitment and pay a $29 service fee but that was it.
Bill

Family room: Sony Bravia KDL-40SL130
Living room: Sceptre 32 inch

#11 OFFLINE   wingrider01

wingrider01

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,764 posts

Posted 24 July 2010 - 10:55 AM

-gigascott

if you want 100 percent new and owned get the HR21-Pro

http://www.solidsign...1PRO)&c=DIRECTV Receivers&sku=

429.00 without shipping or tax

#12 OFFLINE   BattleScott

BattleScott

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,353 posts

Posted 24 July 2010 - 11:00 AM

-gigascott

No matter where you get the DVR, they will consider it upgrading when you activate it and you will reset your 2-year committment. If you have "loyal customer status" and are persistent (ask for customer retention if you need to), you should be able to get the HD DVR free and the 24-month HD credit in exchange for the 2-yr committment. If you don't have it already, you'll have to agree to auto bill-pay to get the 24 month credit. They will only give you 12 months if not.

I know I said I was leaving, but anywhere a "Scott" needs help, that supercedes...
HR24-500 / AM-21 / WGA54AG
42" Pannasonic Plasma
HR22-100 / 26" LG LCD
Slimline 5-LNB

#13 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,902 posts

Posted 24 July 2010 - 11:35 AM

if you want 100 percent new and owned get the HR21-Pro

http://www.solidsign...1PRO)&c=DIRECTV Receivers&sku=

429.00 without shipping or tax

I disagree with this. Yes it is guaranteed to be a new, owned receiver but it's far from being the latest and greatest. In fact it's out of production.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#14 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,340 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 24 July 2010 - 12:27 PM

[quote name='BattleScott']No matter where you get the DVR, they will consider it upgrading when you activate it and you will reset your 2-year committment. If you have "loyal customer status" and are persistent (ask for customer retention if you need to), you should be able to get the HD DVR free and the 24-month HD credit in exchange for the 2-yr committment. If you don't have it already, you'll have to agree to auto bill-pay to get the 24 month credit. They will only give you 12 months if not.

Not quite correct, but close. An owned HR, bought on the net, doesn't extend your commitment.

Rich

Protected By... spam firewall...And...