Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Wireless Setup Feature?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Wilf

Wilf

Legend

• Registered
  • 220 posts

Posted 23 July 2010 - 04:14 PM

A new item "Wireless Setup" (#1) now appears in the Broadband setup menu for my 722. It is grayed out, so I am assuming that is something that is going to be enabled. Network Setup (#2) is now the one for the ethernet connection. Does anyone have info on this?

Wilf

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   BattleZone

BattleZone

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 23 July 2010 - 06:16 PM

A USB to WiFi dongle is being Beta-tested. No further info is available yet that I'm aware of.

#3 OFFLINE   mark8arm

mark8arm

• Registered
  • 8 posts

Posted 20 August 2010 - 01:25 PM

The dish website now shows instructions on how to connect to broadband using a wireless USB adapter connected to the USB on the back of the DVR. I did a web chat to find out what USB wireless devices were supported, and was told that any would work. So i purchased a no-name adapter from Amazon (fortunately only $13), but when I connected it, I got a message saying that I had connected an unsupported device. So I just called Dish support, and was told that I needed to use a Netgear 802.11n USB adapter - but they wouldn't have them available for sale until Sept. 20th - but I could go buy one from any store. Unfortunately that's all the product description she had, and Netgear have several USB wireless adapters. Does anyone know which one(s) Dish is going to support?

#4 OFFLINE   Jim5506

Jim5506

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,467 posts

Posted 20 August 2010 - 07:30 PM

Netgear WNDA 3100
Tuners: Hopper 2000; Hopper w/Sling; 3 Joeys; Samsung SIR-T351; Accurian 6000;2 X HD TiVo; 2 X TiVo Series 2 Stand alone; Panasonic Showstopper 2000
Dish 1000.2 @ 110, 119, 129; dish 500 @ 61.5
Antennas - CM4228; RS U75-R; coathanger; Funke PSP.1922 (stillin the box); paperclip
Displays: Sony VPH D50Q with HD Fury HDMI input; Hitachi 57F59; Sony Bravia LCD;Sanyo 32" LCD; Panasonic 42" plasma
Sony 80GB PS3; Toshiba HD-DVD

Give me a Finco colinear array and I'll rule the world - HA-HA-HA-HA!

#5 OFFLINE   mark8arm

mark8arm

• Registered
  • 8 posts

Posted 25 August 2010 - 01:09 PM

Hi Jim from Lubbock,

OK - I returned my no-name adapter to Amazon, and purchased the (much more expensive) Netgear WNDA3100, also from Amazon. It arrived today, and upon connection I got exactly the same "you have connected an unsupported USB device" message. Very frustrating. Have you tried this yourself? Do you know that this specific device is supported, and not one of Netgear's other 802.11n USB adapters?

#6 OFFLINE   olds403

olds403

Godfather

• Registered
  • 332 posts

Posted 25 August 2010 - 05:22 PM

Since that menu item is grayed out, I would bet they haven't turned it on yet. In which case it would show up as an unsupported usb device, since the receiver doesn't know what to do with it yet.

#7 OFFLINE   DRayFin

DRayFin

• Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 13 September 2010 - 09:18 PM

Netgear WNDA 3100

Bought this to give it a try and it works great on my 722k.

#8 OFFLINE   THawk

THawk

• Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 25 September 2010 - 04:56 PM

I have (2) 622's currently. I was having trouble with the "phone line through power" setup that I had been using for awhile, So I looked into the wireless. Dish Network said today that they don't know when the "Wireless Connectors" would be available for sale. I had a NetGear WN111 (802.11N USB adapter) laying around so I tried it. It did not work. The lady at Dish Network said she had spoken to people that had went out and bought adapters and they worked, so she didn't think they were proprietory by any means. I assumed maybe the N was not supported, so I bought a G (Linksys WUSB54GSC) and it does not work either. Both give the error message of being an unsupported device. If anyone is using a Wireless USB adapter, please post what works. I'm not interested in a gaming adapter or a bridge. (Also, I have heard different opinions on the HomePlug stuff, and not sure about trying those either).

#9 OFFLINE   scooper

scooper

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,739 posts
  • LocationYoungsville NC

Posted 25 September 2010 - 08:18 PM

Go read post #4 in this thread.

Otherwise - you can use Homeplug (to some various degrees of success) or hardwired ethernet, or try some device that bridges ethernet to wireless and back.
You CAN put antennas on your owned and/or controlled property...

http://www.fcc.gov/mb/facts/otard.html

#10 OFFLINE   SaltiDawg

SaltiDawg

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,375 posts

Posted 26 September 2010 - 09:15 AM

Go read post #4 in this thread. ...

I believe I read that you'll need Vers 2 rather then Ver 1

Protected By... spam firewall...And...