Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

High pitch noise from HR20-700

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 ONLINE   MikeW

MikeW

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,542 posts

Posted 23 July 2010 - 04:56 PM

I notice a faint high pitch noise coming from my 3 HR20-700s. It becomes much louder when I tune to local HD channels. I don't hear this sound on any of my other DVRs (2 HR21, HR24, R22). Am I the only one? It has gotten to the point where I need to move the 20 out of my bedroom and swap it with the R22 in my den.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   wilbur_the_goose

wilbur_the_goose

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,407 posts

Posted 23 July 2010 - 06:47 PM

How's the temperature?

#3 ONLINE   MikeW

MikeW

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 2,542 posts

Posted 23 July 2010 - 08:07 PM

124-126

#4 OFFLINE   Yoda-DBSguy

Yoda-DBSguy

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,083 posts
  • LocationA Galaxy Far, Far Away.....

Posted 23 July 2010 - 10:29 PM

I notice a faint high pitch noise coming from my 3 HR20-700s. It becomes much louder when I tune to local HD channels. I don't hear this sound on any of my other DVRs (2 HR21, HR24, R22). Am I the only one? It has gotten to the point where I need to move the 20 out of my bedroom and swap it with the R22 in my den.

Are you sure it's not the front face plate vibrating from the spinning hard drive? There have been alot of reports of the above which can be fixed or at least aliviated by placing felt sticky pads (or something comperable) under the unit.

#5 ONLINE   MikeW

MikeW

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 2,542 posts

Posted 24 July 2010 - 12:55 AM

Are you sure it's not the front face plate vibrating from the spinning hard drive? There have been alot of reports of the above which can be fixed or at least aliviated by placing felt sticky pads (or something comperable) under the unit.

No. I'm certain that the sound is coming from inside. It is the same on 3 boxes. The noise intensifies on local HD channels and is very faint when viewing SD channels. It's been happening for a few months. I first noticed on my bedroom DVR because it was more noticeable when all was quiet. A swapped out the hard drive, but it did no good.

#6 OFFLINE   bubbagscotch

bubbagscotch

AllStar

• Registered
  • 52 posts

Posted 25 July 2010 - 09:48 AM

I have that issue too but it's on my H20-100. It makes a high pitch sound that seems to be coming somewhere in the back region. It only does it when I tune into an HD channel even if I power the receiver down. When I switch to the SD channels it doesn't make the noise. Might be the b band converter but I switched mine and it still makes the noise.

#7 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,930 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 25 July 2010 - 10:02 AM

No. I'm certain that the sound is coming from inside. It is the same on 3 boxes. The noise intensifies on local HD channels and is very faint when viewing SD channels. It's been happening for a few months. I first noticed on my bedroom DVR because it was more noticeable when all was quiet. A swapped out the hard drive, but it did no good.

Could that be an oscillator whine? I had a TV that made a high pitched sound and it was diagnosed as an oscillator whine. Never got fixed. None of my nine 20-700s have that issue, if that's any help.

I'd dump any HR that did that. I just returned a 20-700 that had different issues, took me several calls to the protection plan and they finally gave up on my insistence that it be replaced with another 20-700 or a 24. Sent me to the Case Management Group who immediately denied my request. Called the PP back and told them what had happened and they got me to Customer Service and a CSR that couldn't understand what I was talking about and set up a case with the CMG again. Finally got a guy who understood my frustration and he told me that the CMG CANNOT give out the specific model anymore. He then went into various reasons why I needed a 20. Told him firmly that I didn't want a 20-100 and he "said" he could not guarantee anything. Two days later a 20-700 showed up. Persistence, patience and politeness does pay off.

Rich

#8 OFFLINE   gfrang

gfrang

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,335 posts

Posted 25 July 2010 - 11:09 AM

I had a hr20- 100 that had a loose face plate at the corner near the acess card door.It was driving me freeking nuts so i had to come up whit a very high teck solution.

What i did was take a piece of bubblegum (chewed) and pressed it into the corner in between the faceplate and top cover.

Problem resolved.

Edited by gfrang, 25 July 2010 - 11:15 AM.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...