Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

New to HD, not to DirecTV

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   chscott

chscott

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 22 posts

Posted 23 July 2010 - 05:21 PM

SD to HD - 12 Years w/ DirectTV - TiVos

My 8 year old projection TV just gave out last week so I bought a 55" LCD to replace. I had been holding for the elusive new DirecTiVo unit, but we all know that story.

So I take the day off work for install of my HD DVR / HD receiver whole home setup. A nice man called this morning to confirm my appointment (8-Noon EST). At 10AM, another nice man from DirecTV calls stating they are out of the HD-DVR units in the warehouse and installer will be their at 2:00PM for the install. (Are all of DirecTV's call centers in India?)

At 1:30, another nice man calls and say it will be later in the day, this time w/out a time. Installer shows up at 3:15PM. No biggie. Sh#t happens.

I did most of my own installs in the past so I really have not had much contact with DirecTV. The last time I expanded my setup, the installer refused to go into the attic and wanted to run wires on the outside of my house, which I refused so I went into the attic to assist him and his helper.

Since I had all of the cabling, it was pretty much a dish switchout and a reattachment of the new boxes. He wanted to wire from my back bedroom to my living room for On Demand, but I had a spare Cisco/Linksys Powerline Network Kit. I confirmed it was working before he left.

Got the HR24/500 with Whole Home Service (I don't know the differnce between the models, but the box is very fast.)

Had a glitch already. I was pulling media files (pics) from my home server and one pic froze on the screen and I could not make it go away, even when I changed channels. Had to reboot.

Forget all of that! My new HD TV is freaking awesome. The picture is great!

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#2 OFFLINE   miketorse

miketorse

Icon

• Registered
  • 647 posts

Posted 23 July 2010 - 05:27 PM

Are all of DirecTV's call centers in India?

As far as I know, none are.
Mike

My system:

HR21
HR22 w/ AM21
R15
SWM-8
Slimline5 w/ no LOS to 119 Slimline3

#3 OFFLINE   Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson

6EQUJ5 WOW!

• Moderators
  • 13,953 posts

Posted 23 July 2010 - 05:32 PM

Glad ya like the HD. ;)

The powerline adapter is going to be tough. It doesn't handle MRV or streaming video very well.

Mike

µß
Since it costs 2.4¢ to produce a penny, my 2¢ worth is really 4.8¢ worth.  That 4.8¢ is my own and not the 4.8¢ of DIRECTV, Dish, or anyone else for that matter.

#4 OFFLINE   chscott

chscott

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 22 posts

Posted 23 July 2010 - 06:05 PM

Glad ya like the HD. ;)

The powerline adapter is going to be tough. It doesn't handle MRV or streaming video very well.

Mike

I setup my brother-in-law and one of my work mates a couple of months ago with the exact unit and they have not complaints. My connection was not stable until I plugged it directly into power outlet(s), but now it seems to be working fine.

I directly connected my notebook to the receiving end unit and launched a continuous ping to a public server and dropped zero packets during my tests.

I have already downloaded one program without issue. We must be the lucky ones.

#5 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,127 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 23 July 2010 - 06:31 PM

I setup my brother-in-law and one of my work mates a couple of months ago with the exact unit and they have not complaints. My connection was not stable until I plugged it directly into power outlet(s), but now it seems to be working fine.

I directly connected my notebook to the receiving end unit and launched a continuous ping to a public server and dropped zero packets during my tests.

I have already downloaded one program without issue. We must be the lucky ones.

Downloading is one thing...streaming is a whole other beast. You could of made DECA work without the other coax run.
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#6 OFFLINE   chscott

chscott

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 22 posts

Posted 23 July 2010 - 07:23 PM

Not sure what DECA is. Did I make a bad install decision?

#7 OFFLINE   sdirv

sdirv

Icon

• Registered
  • 524 posts

Posted 23 July 2010 - 11:09 PM

Glad ya like the HD. ;)

Mike

Been using mine for D* VOD and Netflix streaming for a long while now, no problems at all.

I was getting some rebuffering on my upstairs set (not on a powerline, it's a wireless Blu_ray player) but seemed to have fixed it by upgrading my G router to an N.......

#8 ONLINE   hasan

hasan

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,905 posts
  • LocationOgden, IA

Posted 24 July 2010 - 07:29 AM

Been using mine for D* VOD and Netflix streaming for a long while now, no problems at all.

I was getting some rebuffering on my upstairs set (not on a powerline, it's a wireless Blu_ray player) but seemed to have fixed it by upgrading my G router to an N.......

Power line adapters are iffy at best. There has been some success, but a lot more failures. Netflix is not as demanding as MRV. I have G (Roku box) for netflix upstairs and it works great, but wireless G for MRV was a complete failure for HD MRV. Going to N solved that (but it still is nowhere nearly as good as DECA, which is perfect.

...hasan, N0AN

SlimLine5-SWiMLNB/DECA/WHDVR
HR44-700, WD20EURX 2 TB eSATA/ThermalTake Max 5 Enclosure

HR24-200, WD20EVDS 2 TB eSATA/ThermalTake Dock

HR24-200, H21-200. Samsung UN60C6400 60" LED/LCD

DirecTV since 1995

#9 OFFLINE   mcbeevee

mcbeevee

97% Complete

• Registered
  • 1,283 posts

Posted 24 July 2010 - 08:03 AM

Not sure what DECA is. Did I make a bad install decision?

DECA = DIRECTV Ethernet Coaxial Adapter

:)

#10 OFFLINE   joed32

joed32

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,686 posts

Posted 24 July 2010 - 08:49 AM

As far as I know, none are.

That is correct. They do have some CSRs who came from India. I spoke with one once.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...