Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Does Esata Force a Reformat

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   chefwong

chefwong

Legend

• Registered
  • 245 posts

Posted 23 July 2010 - 06:10 PM

I have a HR21 with a bad hard drive. If I plug in a hard drive via esata, will the firmware format the drive via Esata or I'm still SOL and will need to get a replacement.....

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Manctech

Manctech

Icon

• Registered
  • 542 posts

Posted 23 July 2010 - 06:17 PM

Yes. It formats the internal and sets up the external for use. Or so I was told.

TWC Technician (Huntersville, Cornelius, Davidson Area)

#3 OFFLINE   jdspencer

jdspencer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,566 posts

Posted 23 July 2010 - 06:49 PM

I don't think it formats the internal drive. Just formats the external for first time use. Otherwise, you wouldn't be able to disconnect the external and be able to view the shows recorded on the internal.

Which does the OP no good if he has a bad internal drive, other than get the DVR operational.
DirecTV since '96, Waivers for ABC, CBS, NBC, & Fox, HR23-700 & HR24-500/AM21, using ethernet based MRV.

#4 OFFLINE   jgriffin104

jgriffin104

Mentor

• Registered
  • 38 posts

Posted 23 July 2010 - 07:14 PM

A quick fix if you want to keep the unit is replace the hard drive with the drive in the ESATA enclosure.

#5 OFFLINE   davring

davring

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,386 posts

Posted 23 July 2010 - 07:18 PM

A quick fix if you want to keep the unit is replace the hard drive with the drive in the ESATA enclosure.

+1
HR20-700(2.0TB)>Sony XBR-55HX929
HR20-700>Sony KDL40V2500
OTA RS outdoor ant
Hardwire networked to Cysco Router 6.0 AT&T DSL
MRV enabled
R15-500>Samsung LNT2342H
DirecTV customer since 1997

#6 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,568 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 24 July 2010 - 10:14 AM

I have a HR21 with a bad hard drive. If I plug in a hard drive via esata, will the firmware format the drive via Esata or I'm still SOL and will need to get a replacement.....

What do you mean by "bad hard drive"?

Rich

Protected By... spam firewall...And...