Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Please help me with my ignorance.

locals

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   cjmjcrlm

cjmjcrlm

• Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 24 July 2010 - 07:27 AM

I am new to D-TV and have a question about setup/installation on dual tuners. I'm not sure how this should work but I basically want to watch one show and be able to record another. I'm not sure how I should wire/connect the receiver for the second tuner. When I tried to do it and enable the tuner it never showed a signal.

My setup;
SL3-SWM Slimline Dish
SWS8wB-P SWM splitter
PI-21 21v Power Inserter
R22-100 receiver (HD enabled account)

The reciever has one port labeled SWM-2 on Tuner 1 and no label on Tuner 2. How should I connect the coax for two tuners using SWM? I've tried to find a manual on installation, tried to find wiring diagrams and tried to find info related to my setup. I've tried connecting it different ways and enabling the second tuner but can't seem to get it right. I know it's probably a simple answer but I can't seem to find it. Do I have to run two coax cables from the splitter, can I use the output on the power inserter, can the tuner do it all off of the SWM-2 tuner 1 input? Don't know if my terminology is wrong or what but help from somebody would be very much appreciated. I'm sure this has been asked and answered many times and apologize for asking again but please help.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   hasan

hasan

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,853 posts
  • LocationOgden, IA

Posted 24 July 2010 - 07:31 AM

I am new to D-TV and have a question about setup/installation on dual tuners. I'm not sure how this should work but I basically want to watch one show and be able to record another. I'm not sure how I should wire/connect the receiver for the second tuner. When I tried to do it and enable the tuner it never showed a signal.

My setup;
SL3-SWM Slimline Dish
SWS8wB-P SWM splitter
PI-21 21v Power Inserter
R22-100 receiver (HD enabled account)

The reciever has one port labeled SWM-2 on Tuner 1 and no label on Tuner 2. How should I connect the coax for two tuners using SWM? I've tried to find a manual on installation, tried to find wiring diagrams and tried to find info related to my setup. I've tried connecting it different ways and enabling the second tuner but can't seem to get it right. I know it's probably a simple answer but I can't seem to find it. Do I have to run two coax cables from the splitter, can I use the output on the power inserter, can the tuner do it all off of the SWM-2 tuner 1 input? Don't know if my terminology is wrong or what but help from somebody would be very much appreciated. I'm sure this has been asked and answered many times and apologize for asking again but please help.

SWM does 2 tuners on only one input of your DVR. You do not need (nor will it work) to have 2 coax lines on the back of your DVR on a SWM setup. You have to use the coax connection on the back that is dedicated to SWM input, you cannot just connect to either one.

...hasan, N0AN

SlimLine5-SWiMLNB/DECA/WHDVR
HR44-700, WD20EURX 2 TB eSATA/ThermalTake Max 5 Enclosure

HR24-200, WD20EVDS 2 TB eSATA/ThermalTake Dock

HR24-200, H21-200. Samsung UN60C6400 60" LED/LCD

DirecTV since 1995

#3 OFFLINE   mcbeevee

mcbeevee

97% Complete

• Registered
  • 1,281 posts

Posted 24 July 2010 - 07:52 AM

Do I have to run two coax cables from the splitter, can I use the output on the power inserter, can the tuner do it all off of the SWM-2 tuner 1 input?

To verify that you have 2 good tuners, go to:

Menu button -> Parental, Fav's & Setup -> System Setup -> Sat & Antenna -> View Signal Strength

From this screen, you can use the +/- to toggle between Tuner 1 and Tuner 2. If both Tuner screens have good numbers, both tuners are working properly.

:)

#4 OFFLINE   cjmjcrlm

cjmjcrlm

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 24 July 2010 - 08:14 AM

I don't know why I couldn't seem to get this to work before but I just enabled the second tuner and went back through setup with the single coax on tuner 1. The receiver restarted and I'm showing signal on both now. I just wasn't sure both tuners could work through the one input and I swear I tried this before but I won't try to figure it out as long as it's working now. Thanks so much for everybody's help.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: locals

spam firewall