Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

H24 is 1080i the max?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Hooterville

Hooterville

AllStar

• Registered
  • 87 posts

Posted 24 July 2010 - 09:37 AM

Just got the H24 a week or so back and have not had much time with it.

The 1080i light on the front is the highest it will go.

Is this normal?

I guess 1080p is for only certain programs?

I have no clue what I'm doing :rolleyes:

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,123 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 24 July 2010 - 09:40 AM

1080p is for certain PPV. If you have a 1080p/24 TV, then you can use it.
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#3 OFFLINE   DogLover

DogLover

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,510 posts

Posted 24 July 2010 - 12:17 PM

None of the HD receivers or DVRs will "upconvert" to 1080p. They will only display shows that are broadcast or downloaded as 1080p. Currently, that is only some VOD (and maybe some broadcast PPV?). For all other shows, 1080i is the hightest resolution that will display.
DogLover

My Setup

#4 OFFLINE   BattleZone

BattleZone

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 24 July 2010 - 04:11 PM

DirecTV does have ONE HD PPV channel that uses 1080/24p format, so technically, there IS "broadcast" content in 1080/24p, but obviously it is limited to a single title on a single channel at any given moment. No normal TV content is broadcast in 1080/24p (or the "other" 1080p format, which is 1080/60p, which the receivers don't support at all anyway), and as stated earlier, the receivers cannot up-convert to 1080p.

DirecTV's HD receivers do a pretty good job of autodetecting a TV's supported formats (except for a few TV models that mis-report their capabilities), so if you don't have 1080p selected, most likely your TV doesn't support it, and selecting it will not do anything for you.

#5 OFFLINE   TomCat

TomCat

Broadcast Engineer

• Registered
  • 3,642 posts

Posted 26 July 2010 - 07:35 PM

...I have no clue what I'm doing :rolleyes:

I'll break it down for you.

1) Turn on TV

2) Turn on DVR

3) (optional) Turn on sound system

4) (also optional) Pour drinks / pop popcorn

5) Sit, watch, and enjoy

6) Worry about nothing else. Especially not about 1080p vs 1080i vs 720p.

That's all there is to it.
It's usually safe to talk honestly and openly with people because they typically are not really listening anyway.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...