Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Switching Directv Card

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   john1117

john1117

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 28 posts

Posted 24 July 2010 - 10:39 AM

If I have a receiver that is active and I have another receiver that is not, but I want to use the inactive receiver, can I just unhook the current receiver, switch the card and be good to go?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 ONLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,963 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 24 July 2010 - 10:50 AM

No.
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#3 OFFLINE   john1117

john1117

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 28 posts

Posted 24 July 2010 - 10:52 AM

What would I need to do?

#4 ONLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,963 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 24 July 2010 - 10:56 AM

Activate the other receiver with a new card.
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#5 OFFLINE   B Newt

B Newt

Icon

• Registered
  • 683 posts

Posted 24 July 2010 - 10:58 AM

Cards are married to the receiver. You can call dtv and have them activate the card to the other receiver but it wont work in your original receiver anymore.

HR20-100 s/w version 0x087f
au9 dish NO multiswitch or diplexers.
Internet connection via WIFI.

#6 OFFLINE   john1117

john1117

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 28 posts

Posted 24 July 2010 - 11:16 AM

Ok, thanks for the information.

#7 OFFLINE   matt

matt

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,858 posts

Posted 24 July 2010 - 11:35 AM

Cards are married to the receiver. You can call dtv and have them activate the card to the other receiver but it wont work in your original receiver anymore.

Good luck with that... I have been barking up that tree with every receiver I have gotten and gotten nowhere.

They can can do it, I pulled it off once, but now they say policy has changed since then and they won't ever do it.
Slimline 5 with SWM-16
Wireless DECA
HR34-700!
R22-200 Leased
Owned H25-700 and H24-700 off and packed for the move.

DIRECTV subscriber since Nov. 2009

#8 OFFLINE   BattleZone

BattleZone

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 24 July 2010 - 04:15 PM

Good luck with that... I have been barking up that tree with every receiver I have gotten and gotten nowhere.

They can can do it, I pulled it off once, but now they say policy has changed since then and they won't ever do it.

It has *always* been against policy to do that. You might *occasionally* get a CSR on the Access Card team who doesn't follow the rules (they all know better, so that's no excuse), but under normal circumstances there has to be a very, very good reason (like, a CSR screwed up) in order to get supervisor approval for such a switchover.

The policy has always been that a new card is required.

#9 OFFLINE   ThomasM

ThomasM

RF Engineer

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,317 posts
  • LocationMilwaukee, WI

Posted 26 July 2010 - 08:09 PM

Not exactly.

If the card(s) and the receiver(s) were all originally activated on your account, the access card dept. can "move" the cards around for you.

But if you purchase a used receiver you will have to get a new access card for it ($20 S & H fee applies).

3LNB Phase III Dish * 2-R15-300 * R22-200 * D12-100 * DirecTV Subscriber since Y2K

#10 OFFLINE   matt

matt

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,858 posts

Posted 26 July 2010 - 08:13 PM

under normal circumstances there has to be a very, very good reason (like, a CSR screwed up) in order to get supervisor approval for such a switchover

That particular case was when I called about a RID before I bought a used receiver and they told me it was owned and good to go, then it got here and turned out it was leased. They swapped it over and I asked them if I could re-use a card from the receiver I was getting rid of so I could have the whole mess done and not have to call and explain my story again. They did, but like Thomas posted, I haven't been able to move them from an existing receiver to a used receiver I have bought. They have managed to screw up my order and I have gotten some free ones though! :D
Slimline 5 with SWM-16
Wireless DECA
HR34-700!
R22-200 Leased
Owned H25-700 and H24-700 off and packed for the move.

DIRECTV subscriber since Nov. 2009

#11 OFFLINE   bubbagscotch

bubbagscotch

AllStar

• Registered
  • 52 posts

Posted 05 August 2010 - 01:31 PM

Yea I pulled it off in June also. Had an inactive receiver with a card. I asked the CSR if I could use an inactive card to activate the HD receiver, asked me what card was it. It was one of the newer cards and she got my HD receiver activated. Saved me $20.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...