Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

An always silent DVR screen?

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   wingtoc

wingtoc

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 10 posts

Posted 24 July 2010 - 12:17 PM

Is there a DVR screen I can bring up that is 1) always silent, and 2) easy to get to without seeing the tv screen? I'd need to be able get to the silent screen before the tv is turned on because ...

Our TV won't allow itself to be muted, or its volume to be turned down, until 5-10 seconds after it is on. Meanwhile we're stuck for those 5-10 seconds with full blast volume (at whatever level it was turned off at) until the tv lets us mute it or turn it down.

With Tivo we could press a button to go to the Tivo main menu, which was silent, just before turning on the tv, and we could turn down the volume during the silence of the menu screen.

(I know we could reduce the volume before turning the tv off, so I'm not really looking for that solution.)

Thanks for the help.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 ONLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,046 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 24 July 2010 - 12:19 PM

Press pause.
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#3 OFFLINE   TheDurk

TheDurk

Legend

• Registered
  • 166 posts

Posted 24 July 2010 - 02:12 PM

Press pause.

Yep. Just remember to check that blue ring is not blinking, or you could UNPAUSE a paused show. I do this to avoid hearing the score of a baseball game when I am tuning in late.(Yankees games are wishlist recorded).
See My Setup

#4 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,640 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 24 July 2010 - 06:49 PM

Power off the DVR then turn it on last.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#5 OFFLINE   wingtoc

wingtoc

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 10 posts

Posted 24 July 2010 - 09:16 PM

Yes! Pressing pause will work perfectly. Thanks a lot everybody.

#6 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,878 posts

Posted 24 July 2010 - 09:20 PM

and :welcome_s to DBSTalk!
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#7 OFFLINE   wingtoc

wingtoc

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 10 posts

Posted 24 July 2010 - 09:37 PM

Thanks. This place kicks buttocks.

#8 OFFLINE   spartanstew

spartanstew

Dry as a bone

• Registered
  • 12,442 posts
  • LocationWylie, Texas

Posted 24 July 2010 - 10:10 PM

If you're using a universal remote, you could also program it to mute the TV before turning it off, so that it would be muted when you turned it back on.

I'm sure Directv can't wait to get their hands on your unit.

Directv customer since 2000

#9 OFFLINE   hasan

hasan

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,877 posts
  • LocationOgden, IA

Posted 25 July 2010 - 07:59 AM

If you're using a universal remote, you could also program it to mute the TV before turning it off, so that it would be muted when you turned it back on.

I've never owned a TV that would "remember" it had been muted prior to being turned off, so depending on the TV involved, this trick might not work.

...hasan, N0AN

SlimLine5-SWiMLNB/DECA/WHDVR
HR44-700, WD20EURX 2 TB eSATA/ThermalTake Max 5 Enclosure

HR24-200, WD20EVDS 2 TB eSATA/ThermalTake Dock

HR24-200, H21-200. Samsung UN60C6400 60" LED/LCD

DirecTV since 1995

#10 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 19,015 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 25 July 2010 - 08:22 AM

Our TV won't allow itself to be muted, or its volume to be turned down, until 5-10 seconds after it is on. Meanwhile we're stuck for those 5-10 seconds with full blast volume (at whatever level it was turned off at) until the tv lets us mute it or turn it down.

Many modern televisions have a default volume setting that can be adjusted as needed (including setting to silent). This allows the volume to be set to a particular value each and every time the TV is fired up. I have my main TV set to come up at a volume setting of zero as I don't normally use the TV sound system.

Another option is to wait to turn on the receiver until after the TV has been adjusted.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#11 OFFLINE   hasan

hasan

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,877 posts
  • LocationOgden, IA

Posted 25 July 2010 - 08:36 AM

Many modern televisions have a default volume setting that can be adjusted as needed (including setting to silent). This allows the volume to be set to a particular value each and every time the TV is fired up. I have my main TV set to come up at a volume setting of zero as I don't normally use the TV sound system.

Another option is to wait to turn on the receiver until after the TV has been adjusted.

My HDTV comes up at the last set volume level, but does not remember being muted. So, if one turned the volume down to "1", that would accomplish the same thing. Good suggestion!

(I don't need it here, because I never use the TV volume, having a home theater amp) Even when using the Samsung built-in Netflix, I use the optical out to the HT, as no TV has sound that I can live with.

Given you can get a cheap optical in HT setup for under a $100 that will vastly outperform any TVs built in speaker setup, I don't know why anyone (who doesn't have space considerations), would tolerate non-DD 5.1 poor audio performance that it typical of most TVs.

...hasan, N0AN

DirecTV since 1995

#12 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,918 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 25 July 2010 - 10:07 AM

My HDTV comes up at the last set volume level, but does not remember being muted. So, if one turned the volume down to "1", that would accomplish the same thing. Good suggestion!

(I don't need it here, because I never use the TV volume, having a home theater amp) Even when using the Samsung built-in Netflix, I use the optical out to the HT, as no TV has sound that I can live with.

Given you can get a cheap optical in HT setup for under a $100 that will vastly outperform any TVs built in speaker setup, I don't know why anyone (who doesn't have space considerations), would tolerate non-DD 5.1 poor audio performance that it typical of most TVs.

I've got a 50" Panny plasma in the master bedroom and it's sound quality is passable. Certainly not equal to an A/V system (which I'm not allowed to put in the room, long story), but better than I thought it would be.

Rich

#13 OFFLINE   paulman182

paulman182

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,838 posts

Posted 26 July 2010 - 05:55 AM

Because so far TV audio quality has not mattered to me as long as I can hear it and dialog is understandable.

I did say, "so far.":)

Equipment includes a buncha stuff that I no longer have interest in detailing

#14 OFFLINE   hasan

hasan

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,877 posts
  • LocationOgden, IA

Posted 26 July 2010 - 06:54 AM

Because so far TV audio quality has not mattered to me as long as I can hear it and dialog is understandable.

I did say, "so far.":)

Yep, different strokes for different folks, to be sure.:)

To me, one of the most enjoyable things about TV is the sound quality, specifically dolby digital. For others, it may have no value whatsoever.

It is, however, important to the creators of the programming, as many, if not most take advantage of the both the dynamic range and increased channel separation of Dolby Digital.

...hasan, N0AN

DirecTV since 1995

#15 OFFLINE   jodyguercio

jodyguercio

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,793 posts

Posted 26 July 2010 - 08:29 AM

Our reasoning behind not using 5.1 for our tv viewing is simple, we have a small child who sleeps during prime time viewing and 5.1, even in night mode, is enough to keep him awake. Do we like two channel tv audio? No, we would rather use the HT setup we have but we have to consider our little one before tv viewing.
A veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life." That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it. -- Author Unknown

LIVE SIMPLE, LOVE GENEROUSLY , CARE DEEPLY, SPEAK KINDLY AND LEAVE THE REST TO GOD

#16 OFFLINE   hasan

hasan

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,877 posts
  • LocationOgden, IA

Posted 26 July 2010 - 09:30 AM

Our reasoning behind not using 5.1 for our tv viewing is simple, we have a small child who sleeps during prime time viewing and 5.1, even in night mode, is enough to keep him awake. Do we like two channel tv audio? No, we would rather use the HT setup we have but we have to consider our little one before tv viewing.

That's the best reason I've ever seen for not having a HT on a sat system!

...hasan, N0AN

DirecTV since 1995

#17 OFFLINE   NaperDan

NaperDan

Legend

• Registered
  • 162 posts

Posted 26 July 2010 - 10:48 AM

Check your TV's audio settings. Many reputable, mainstream TV manufacturers include a volume setting for when it's turned on. Also bear in mind that your DVR is up and running as soon as the blue circle stops spinning (assuming you don't have yours turned off)...which is usually way before modern TVs are ready to send audio to their internal speakers. Also try just switching it to a non-audio channel before you turn it off, or right after you turn it on. But I think your best option is the TV audio.

Can you not just turn the volume down to zero before you power it off?
D*tv'er since the beginning...

#18 OFFLINE   spartanstew

spartanstew

Dry as a bone

• Registered
  • 12,442 posts
  • LocationWylie, Texas

Posted 26 July 2010 - 11:04 AM

That's the best reason I've ever seen for not having a HT on a sat system!

Well, I only have 5.1 (or 7.1) on 2 of our 7 displays.

don't need speakers in the bedroom.
don't need speakers on my 19" display in my home office
The kids don't need speakers in their play room to watch Dora.
We don't need speakers in the guest room
We don't need speakers in the loft (computer area) on that 20" display.

I'm sure Directv can't wait to get their hands on your unit.

Directv customer since 2000

#19 OFFLINE   hasan

hasan

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,877 posts
  • LocationOgden, IA

Posted 26 July 2010 - 01:44 PM

Well, I only have 5.1 (or 7.1) on 2 of our 7 displays.

don't need speakers in the bedroom.
don't need speakers on my 19" display in my home office
The kids don't need speakers in their play room to watch Dora.
We don't need speakers in the guest room
We don't need speakers in the loft (computer area) on that 20" display.

I should have said "main sat system". No need for HT elsewhere, as you noted.:)

...hasan, N0AN

DirecTV since 1995

Protected By... spam firewall...And...