Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

So is there any downside to SWM vs. Legacy setup?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Dazed & Confused

Dazed & Confused

Godfather

• Registered
  • 273 posts

Posted 24 July 2010 - 03:26 PM

I currently have just two HD DVR's with two cables to each DVR directly from the dish (no splitters). I usually just record the same thing to both receivers, but baseball & football games sometimes limit me to having a game on just one reciever, which means it is always on the wrong receiver.:lol:

I am a firm believer in if it ain't broke, don't fix it; but while on the phone the other day with D* for a different issue, I asked if they could do the whole home thing free, to which they said OK. I am taking a road trip for three weeks so I told them don't install until 8/16. Plenty of time to cancel if I should be wary. Any reliability issues, signal issues, or such I should know about? Or is it just a no-brainer? Thanks to a previous thread here, I was able to describe the exact equipment I needed for the switch.:goodjob:

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   PHL

PHL

Legend

• Registered
  • 131 posts

Posted 24 July 2010 - 03:38 PM

For 3 bucks a month, you will effectively double your storage space and greatly increase your flexibiility. I've had it for about 4 weeks now, and I love it.
HR34 Living Room
HR24-500 Office
HR24-500 Bedroom
Whole Home DVR enabled :)

#3 ONLINE   Scott Kocourek

Scott Kocourek

On the edge

• Super Moderators
  • 9,062 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 24 July 2010 - 03:56 PM

Go for it, it is a very stable setup and worth every penny. The whole home setup will make it so you never think about where you may watch a show again.

Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, Dish Network, or any other company.
Become a DBSTalk.com member or join the CE program HERE

#4 OFFLINE   BattleZone

BattleZone

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 24 July 2010 - 03:57 PM

Given that a SWM LNB has an Automatic Gain Circuit that will amplify a low signal up to 15 db, SWM will generally be more reliable in less-than-ideal situations than a legacy install. There are also fewer parts and connections, so less to go wrong.

#5 OFFLINE   hasan

hasan

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,853 posts
  • LocationOgden, IA

Posted 24 July 2010 - 04:00 PM

It is, indeed, a no brainer in your situation. You will love how MRV (now called WHDVR) works in the DECA setup. I switched about a month ago. I had a perfectly functional MRV setup with ethernet/wireless and the older non-SWM dish. I don't regret the new dish, decas and much improved MRV.

...hasan, N0AN

SlimLine5-SWiMLNB/DECA/WHDVR
HR44-700, WD20EURX 2 TB eSATA/ThermalTake Max 5 Enclosure

HR24-200, WD20EVDS 2 TB eSATA/ThermalTake Dock

HR24-200, H21-200. Samsung UN60C6400 60" LED/LCD

DirecTV since 1995

#6 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,861 posts

Posted 24 July 2010 - 05:24 PM

No downside I can think of.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#7 OFFLINE   mrfatboy

mrfatboy

Godfather

• Registered
  • 322 posts

Posted 24 July 2010 - 06:19 PM

I currently have just two HD DVR's with two cables to each DVR directly from the dish (no splitters). I usually just record the same thing to both receivers, but baseball & football games sometimes limit me to having a game on just one reciever, which means it is always on the wrong receiver.:lol:

I am a firm believer in if it ain't broke, don't fix it; but while on the phone the other day with D* for a different issue, I asked if they could do the whole home thing free, to which they said OK. I am taking a road trip for three weeks so I told them don't install until 8/16. Plenty of time to cancel if I should be wary. Any reliability issues, signal issues, or such I should know about? Or is it just a no-brainer? Thanks to a previous thread here, I was able to describe the exact equipment I needed for the switch.:goodjob:

I have the same setup you do. However, I just used the "unsupported" MRV and it works perfect. If you already have a wired home LAN network it's easy to do yourself.
DirecTV since '99, Grandfathered DNS Waivers for ABC, CBS, NBC, & Fox | HR24-500 | HR23-700 | Unsupported MRV

My Network Setup

My Computer Setup

#8 OFFLINE   Dazed & Confused

Dazed & Confused

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 273 posts

Posted 25 July 2010 - 05:34 AM

Thanks for the comments. It's hard to complain about something that is free, so I was mainly concerned about picture quality, and reliability. Reading many posts around here makes me think I must be pretty lucky. In my first ten years I never had a service call, and the original dish was never touched again after installation. Of course, there were receiver replacements, but that was just a trip down to CC or BB to pick up a new one. I have had a few receivers replaced in the last 3 years since going to HD, but I do still have the original HR20-100 that was installed. I've never had one of those black clouds hanging over my head regarding DirecTV, and have become pretty spoiled. So my main purpose with this thread was to try and get a feel for any problems I may be introducing to my DirecTV experience, so to speak.:lol:

I do understand all the benefits, and it even lets me get VOD into the bedroom without buying another wireless adapter. It is all the other baggage with a different installation setup that I am concerned about.

#9 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,667 posts

Posted 25 July 2010 - 06:16 AM

Thanks for the comments. It's hard to complain about something that is free, so I was mainly concerned about picture quality, and reliability.

SWiM will be a solid performer to achieve those goals.

It's also the pathway to Whole Home DVR Service, should you choose to go that route.
DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

#10 OFFLINE   Jason Whiddon

Jason Whiddon

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,262 posts

Posted 25 July 2010 - 06:20 AM

Ive had DECA for a few days and love it. I have two HDDVR's, like you, and you'll love it.
65" VT50 / BDP-S6200
X4000 / Outlaw Model 7125
Klipsch RF82 II and RC62 II / Hsu VTF-15H (2)
Directv HR44-200 / HR24-500

#11 OFFLINE   BattleZone

BattleZone

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 25 July 2010 - 06:25 AM

Picture quality can't be affected by digital transport systems; either the data arrives or it does not. It isn't like analog transmissions were low signal strength or RF interference results in picture degredation.

spam firewall