Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

N00b needs help!!

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   tonyinvc

tonyinvc

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 11 posts

Posted 24 July 2010 - 11:47 PM

I'm new to DTV (about 1 hour old) and I'm curious as to what bells and whistles does the "advanced" HD DVR receiver has. Also is it necessary to pay the 1 time fee of 25.00 for the TV internet connection service? Won't the installer simply hook up the receiver to my router?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 24 July 2010 - 11:53 PM

Start here: http://www.dbstalk.c...ad.php?t=151213

The installer will hook up an adapter to your router *IF* you order it on your install, and are also installing a Connected Home system (i.e. at least one HD DVR and a second HD receiver or DVR). As to what they charge, its all negotiable when you contract the install, but $25 sounds about right for the adapter.

Tivo Premier XL4, Tivo Premier, Tivo HD whole home on Xfinity HD, DirecTv Whole Home with 39" high gain KaKu dish, Roku3,SageTv 8 TB Win8 Server -> DVDO Edge-> Denon AVR, Klipsch KB15's/Panasonic 55ST60 plasma"

#3 OFFLINE   jab5325

jab5325

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 31 posts

Posted 25 July 2010 - 06:39 AM

I'd never pay the $25 for the internet connection kit.

Unless you want a wireless connection, just get a piece of CAT5 cable and run it to your router. Works just the same and will save you money.

#4 OFFLINE   NR4P

NR4P

Dad

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,904 posts
  • LocationSunny Florida

Posted 25 July 2010 - 06:57 AM

I'm new to DTV (about 1 hour old) and I'm curious as to what bells and whistles does the "advanced" HD DVR receiver has. Also is it necessary to pay the 1 time fee of 25.00 for the TV internet connection service? Won't the installer simply hook up the receiver to my router?

:welcome_s to dbstalk

By being one hour new to Directv I am not sure if you have had your install yet or just placed an order.

The internet connection service is part of the Whole Home DVR service where you can watch shows on any receiver or DVR. The interconnect connection is optional but that is normally part of the whole home service installation.

If you are getting more than one HD DVR, meaning other DVR's and/or receivers, I recommend doing this whole home dvr service at the same time and getting it connected to the internet. The internet connection isn't necessary but adds Video on Demand to the whole home DVR service.

#5 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,689 posts

Posted 25 July 2010 - 07:02 AM

I'm new to DTV (about 1 hour old) and I'm curious as to what bells and whistles does the "advanced" HD DVR receiver has. Also is it necessary to pay the 1 time fee of 25.00 for the TV Internet connection service? Won't the installer simply hook up the receiver to my router?

First of all...
:welcome_s

Since we're not certain which model you have.... more information on the benefits and features on the most recent HD DVRs is contained via this link to another thread - including a downloadable piece on the HR24 unit, the most recent HD DVR in the DirecTV inventory.

http://www.dbstalk.c...ad.php?t=172657

If you have another model HD DVR...there are also links to previous models there as well.

A "standard" DirecTV service installation alone does NOT include connection to your router/network, unless you contracted for the (optional) Whole Home DVR service (WHDS) and Internet connection service. That also will result in a $3 monthly service fee. That said, some installers go beyond the call of duty and help out with such connections if they can.

This is a great thread of information about WHDS:

http://www.dbstalk.c...ad.php?t=178068
DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

#6 OFFLINE   john18

john18

Icon

• DBSTalk Club
  • 979 posts

Posted 25 July 2010 - 10:27 AM

Unless you want a wireless connection, just get a piece of CAT5 cable and run it to your router. Works just the same and will save you money.

That isn't entirely true or necessarily a good idea. Many people have found that by adding that kit they have received HR24's and SWiM, especially folks that have been customers on legacy installations. However, even new installs seem to have a much better chance of getting a HR24 installed when they also have the Whole Home system installed rather than using the unsupported ethernet solution.

In the long run it could be a very well spent $25.00.

#7 OFFLINE   tonyinvc

tonyinvc

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 11 posts

Posted 25 July 2010 - 11:19 AM

Thank you all very much for the info and welcoming me to the forum. I could literary spend days reading the post and comments.

#8 OFFLINE   dsw2112

dsw2112

Always Searching

• Registered
  • 1,936 posts

Posted 25 July 2010 - 11:37 AM

This works fine with an all ethernet network for VOD/MRV, but will not work for those on an all HX24 setup with whole home. Attaching an ethernet cable disables the HX24's internal DECA and will disrupt MRV. The supported way to "inject" internet for anyone with a DECA setup is with a DECA dongle attached to the router.
SL3-Slimline to SWM16 - DECA
HR34-700, HR24-500, & HR22-100

#9 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,866 posts

Posted 25 July 2010 - 02:38 PM

That's right, you do need the Internet Connection Kit if you're on SWM or have HR24s.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...