Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Rethink HR24

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   sstv

sstv

Legend

• Registered
  • 211 posts

Posted 25 July 2010 - 09:44 AM

Hi All
I have an HR24 500/AM21 and a H23 on a swm system. I replaced a HR20-100 and a H20. The H20 had IR problems and the HR20 had HDD problems.

The HR24 is fast but the HR20 was no slow poke so the speed thing was no big deal for me.
If you are thinking about a HR24, I would hold off until the BUGS are worked out.
There is a problem with the AM21 not recording correctly, I missed a few shows last week on PBS because of this.
The audio from both OTA and Sat has a lot of"Snap, Crackle, and Pop" on a random basis.
DTV is working on all of this so I guess we just wait for the fix, but I kinda miss my HR20:)
SSTV
since94

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,827 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 25 July 2010 - 09:53 AM

I see you're in Dallas...why are you even recording OTA when we get all networks via the sat?
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#3 OFFLINE   Scott Kocourek

Scott Kocourek

On the edge

• Super Moderators
  • 9,017 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 25 July 2010 - 10:27 AM

Hi All
I have an HR24 500/AM21 and a H23 on a swm system. I replaced a HR20-100 and a H20. The H20 had IR problems and the HR20 had HDD problems.

The HR24 is fast but the HR20 was no slow poke so the speed thing was no big deal for me.
If you are thinking about a HR24, I would hold off until the BUGS are worked out.
There is a problem with the AM21 not recording correctly, I missed a few shows last week on PBS because of this.
The audio from both OTA and Sat has a lot of"Snap, Crackle, and Pop" on a random basis.
DTV is working on all of this so I guess we just wait for the fix, but I kinda miss my HR20:)
SSTV
since94

I think your avatar says it all... Don't Panic.

These are bugs that we be fixed, if someone has a chance to get a HR24 then get it.

Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, Dish Network, or any other company.
Become a DBSTalk.com member or join the CE program HERE

#4 OFFLINE   Jason Whiddon

Jason Whiddon

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,246 posts

Posted 25 July 2010 - 10:45 AM

Id still take the HR24 (have had an HR20/21 and 22), even though the OTA bug p's me off.
65" VT50 / BDP-S6200
X4000 / Outlaw Model 7125
Klipsch RF82 II and RC62 II / Hsu VTF-15H (2)
Directv HR44-200 / TiVo Roamio

#5 OFFLINE   sstv

sstv

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 211 posts

Posted 25 July 2010 - 10:48 AM

I see you're in Dallas...why are you even recording OTA when we get all networks via the sat?

Hi Sigma
When the Fall season starts, a quick check revealed that most of my recordings were local. The quality of OTA in Dallas is very good on all channels.
When you go to bed and a few of those thunder bumper storms roll thru, you dont want to view your recordings to see."searching for sat".
OTA is bullet proof and my system is on a UPS.
SSTV
since94

#6 OFFLINE   Sim-X

Sim-X

Godfather

• Registered
  • 381 posts

Posted 25 July 2010 - 12:01 PM

Hi Sigma
When the Fall season starts, a quick check revealed that most of my recordings were local. The quality of OTA in Dallas is very good on all channels.
When you go to bed and a few of those thunder bumper storms roll thru, you dont want to view your recordings to see."searching for sat".
OTA is bullet proof and my system is on a UPS.
SSTV
since94

Wow, what shows are that important that you have a ups on it?

#7 OFFLINE   Jason Whiddon

Jason Whiddon

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,246 posts

Posted 25 July 2010 - 12:06 PM

Ive had a UPS on my HDDVR's for 4 years now. Nothing worse than missing 20 minutes of a show for a flicker. Also handy during a hurricane.
65" VT50 / BDP-S6200

#8 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,411 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 25 July 2010 - 12:12 PM

Ive had a UPS on my HDDVR's for 4 years now. Nothing worse than missing 20 minutes of a show for a flicker. Also handy during a hurricane.

Exactly why I have a small UPS on mine. Small power blip and it takes a while for the receiver to boot.

#9 OFFLINE   Jason Whiddon

Jason Whiddon

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,246 posts

Posted 25 July 2010 - 12:13 PM

They are getting better though, the 24 beats the snot outta the 22 bootup.
65" VT50 / BDP-S6200

#10 OFFLINE   Bofurley

Bofurley

Godfather

• Registered
  • 321 posts
  • LocationKS

Posted 25 July 2010 - 12:30 PM

I have 2 HR24-500s, and have not had any problems!

#11 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,827 posts

Posted 25 July 2010 - 02:36 PM

I do know what you mean about the audio issues but it's limited to only certain TVs and generally only to Dolby Digital, if that helps.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#12 OFFLINE   spartanstew

spartanstew

Dry as a bone

• Registered
  • 12,427 posts
  • LocationWylie, Texas

Posted 25 July 2010 - 03:55 PM

:confused:

If it's important enough to record, it's important enough to have a ups.

Why wouldn't you put a ups on a dvr? Heck, I've got 6 of them throughout the house on most of my components.

I'm sure Directv can't wait to get their hands on your unit.

Directv customer since 2000

#13 OFFLINE   hasan

hasan

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,830 posts
  • LocationOgden, IA

Posted 25 July 2010 - 04:19 PM

Why wouldn't you put a ups on a dvr? Heck, I've got 6 of them throughout the house on most of my components.

I have 6 of them just behind my home theater rack and another 8 throughout the house on various computers, etc.

Not only do you not lose programming due to glitches in the power (which are routine in rural Iowa), you have line switching away from surges, as well as built in surge protection. None of this even addresses the issue of our sat boxes being sub-glorified computers, with large hard drives (that can't be backed up). Now, who in their right mind would subject their computer hard drives to less than graceful power loss and the surge when coming back up.

My order of importance for UPS' is:

1. Prevent hardware failures (specifically hard drives)
2. Protect against surges/dirty power/restart issues.
3. Not lose a complete recording because of a 1 second power gllitch.

...hasan, N0AN

SlimLine5-SWiMLNB/DECA/WHDVR
HR44-700, WD20EURX 2 TB eSATA/ThermalTake Max 5 Enclosure

HR24-200, WD20EVDS 2 TB eSATA/ThermalTake Dock

HR24-200, H21-200. Samsung UN60C6400 60" LED/LCD

DirecTV since 1995

#14 OFFLINE   gio12

gio12

Icon

• Registered
  • 836 posts

Posted 25 July 2010 - 04:24 PM

Huh, basically anything I record. If I record it, i dont want to miss it. Especially during FOOTBALL season. My wife almost made me ditch Direct years ago because she a had a large group over for here gators and a storm rolled in.

Well between 20-35 with searching for sat and then boot up, they missed a huge portion of the game. Here in SFLA you need it.

#15 OFFLINE   gio12

gio12

Icon

• Registered
  • 836 posts

Posted 25 July 2010 - 04:26 PM

Same reason I do here in SFLA with rain storm, FOOTBALL season.

Between 20-35min with searching for sat and then boot up, who wants miss a huge portion a game? Here in SFLA, recording OTA with networks ensures you wont miss anything.

#16 OFFLINE   john18

john18

Icon

• DBSTalk Club
  • 978 posts

Posted 25 July 2010 - 04:39 PM

I have a healthy sized UPS for my entire home entertainment system and another one for my computers and router.

#17 OFFLINE   sstv

sstv

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 211 posts

Posted 25 July 2010 - 05:21 PM

Hi All
I have a 450 va UPS that powers my HR24 and SWM PI. This will give me about 45 min of down time. I could add my LCD tv but that wouldcut my run time very short.
The UPS cost me about $40.00 and works very good
SSTV
since 94

#18 OFFLINE   cover

cover

Icon

• Registered
  • 529 posts

Posted 26 July 2010 - 09:20 AM

Wow, so much I want to comment on in this thread I don't know where to start.

I completely agree. Having used HR20-700s for years, I recently had my first experience with HR22s and HR24s. The HR22 is a bit molasses-like in terms of speed compared to the HR20. The HR24s are snappy and faster than the HR20s, but the HR20s were fast enough that speed wasn't an issue. The HR22s, well, I wouldn't want to have to use one all the time due to the slow speed of the UI.

As for OTA using the HR24 with the AM21, I started a thread about a week ago on the HR24-100's seeming inability to successfully tune 2 OTA channels at the same time without the picture and sound breaking up on both - one OTA at a time works fine but not two at a time. With the HR24-500, I'm about to start another thread to outline the results of a test of OTA recording reliability.

I can't speak for the Dallas locals, but at least for Memphis picture quality of OTA is significantly better than from satellite. The satellite locals are over-compressed. I suspect this is true of most cities except possibly LA and New York, which may get allotted more bandwidth - just guessing on that.

Exactly. I don't want to miss 10 minutes of a recorded show because the power blinked and the DVR had to reboot. (I miss enough recordings due to software bugs, thanks.) In addition, a UPS should provide better surge, spike, and noise protection.

#19 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,827 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 26 July 2010 - 09:24 AM

I can't speak for the Dallas locals, but at least for Memphis picture quality of OTA is significantly better than from satellite. The satellite locals are over-compressed. I suspect this is true of most cities except possibly LA and New York, which may get allotted more bandwidth - just guessing on that.

I can speak for Dallas and the sat feeds are excellent PQ. They used to be bad, but that was 3-4 years ago.
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#20 OFFLINE   Jason Whiddon

Jason Whiddon

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,246 posts

Posted 26 July 2010 - 09:32 AM

My local sat hd feeds look good, but are still visibly soft compared to the OTA feeds (55" tv). I bought a 1TB EHD because I like to record 100% OTA locals, but I'm stuck until the bug is fixed. I know we are a small minority, but local PQ matters to me.
65" VT50 / BDP-S6200

spam firewall