Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Rethink HR24

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   BigCTM

BigCTM

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 27 posts

Posted 26 July 2010 - 11:36 AM

The PBS issue is not just related to the HR24/AM21. I had OTA with an HR20 and had all kinds of problems with PBS. Actually I have had fewer problems now with the HR24/AM21 but it is still not perfect. I still occasionally get the dreaded blank screen or the do you want to delete issue.

Hi All
I have an HR24 500/AM21 and a H23 on a swm system. I replaced a HR20-100 and a H20. The H20 had IR problems and the HR20 had HDD problems.

The HR24 is fast but the HR20 was no slow poke so the speed thing was no big deal for me.
If you are thinking about a HR24, I would hold off until the BUGS are worked out.
There is a problem with the AM21 not recording correctly, I missed a few shows last week on PBS because of this.
The audio from both OTA and Sat has a lot of"Snap, Crackle, and Pop" on a random basis.
DTV is working on all of this so I guess we just wait for the fix, but I kinda miss my HR20:)
SSTV
since94

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   1953

Icon

• Registered
  • 616 posts

Posted 26 July 2010 - 09:09 PM

Hi Sigma
When the Fall season starts, a quick check revealed that most of my recordings were local. The quality of OTA in Dallas is very good on all channels.
When you go to bed and a few of those thunder bumper storms roll thru, you dont want to view your recordings to see."searching for sat".
OTA is bullet proof and my system is on a UPS.
SSTV
since94

I also live in Dallas County and can attest to the extremely high quality OTA stations. Dallas-Fort Worth is the 5th largest television market in the United States. In addition to the major networks we have a vast assortment of independent channels.

#23 OFFLINE   mickcris

mickcris

Legend

• Registered
  • 163 posts

Posted 26 July 2010 - 10:21 PM

I also live in Dallas County and can attest to the extremely high quality OTA stations. Dallas-Fort Worth is the 5th largest television market in the United States. In addition to the major networks we have a vast assortment of independent channels.

about 2 years ago I was having issues with cbs, abc, and nbc sat feed pixilating and dropping audio. those channels were basically unwatchable. Fox was the only one that was ok. I set up an antenna after that and still record my locals from it. I guess they are better now.

#24 OFFLINE   leww37334

leww37334

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,489 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 06:22 AM

I have 6 of them just behind my home theater rack and another 8 throughout the house on various computers, etc.

Not only do you not lose programming due to glitches in the power (which are routine in rural Iowa), you have line switching away from surges, as well as built in surge protection. None of this even addresses the issue of our sat boxes being sub-glorified computers, with large hard drives (that can't be backed up). Now, who in their right mind would subject their computer hard drives to less than graceful power loss and the surge when coming back up.

My order of importance for UPS' is:

1. Prevent hardware failures (specifically hard drives)
2. Protect against surges/dirty power/restart issues.
3. Not lose a complete recording because of a 1 second power gllitch.

Hasan has it right (as usual), UPS's are more about protecting equipment than protecting recordings, I get a lot of voltage spikes where I am and a good UPS will help to filter those out.
“Reason is not automatic. Those who deny it cannot be conquered by it. Do not count on them. Leave them alone.” - Ayn Rand

#25 OFFLINE   sat4r

sat4r

Godfather

• DBSTalk Club
  • 282 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 07:04 AM

about 2 years ago I was having issues with cbs, abc, and nbc sat feed pixilating and dropping audio. those channels were basically unwatchable. Fox was the only one that was ok. I set up an antenna after that and still record my locals from it. I guess they are better now.

+1
2 HR24-200 AM-21N AM-21
1 HR34-700 AM-21N
1 HR21-PRO AM-21
SLIMLINE DISH with SWM16
DECA system
U-VERSE INTERNET TURBO24
LG 42LW5300 LED 3D
LG 65LW6500 LED 3D
DIRECTV NOMAD
Customer since 03/2000

#26 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,861 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 07:10 AM

Yes, there were issues several years ago. But honestly I gave up my OTA recording capability about 18 months ago because I simply wasn't using it.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

spam firewall