Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Can't get HR21-700 to see new hard drive

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   sweetpete

sweetpete

• Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 25 July 2010 - 10:31 AM

Hi All,

I spent about an hour this morning searching and reading the various discussions in this forum regarding upgrading the internal hard drive of a HR2x receiver, but haven't found a solution to my problem.

I tried replacing the WD 330G HD in my HR21-700 with a WD 1TB unit. When I boot up the receiver, it goes through a few of the startup steps, but never gets to a "Formatting hard drive..." screen, and I instead end up with a blue screen saying there's something wrong with the hard drive, etc., error 14-909. I put back the original HD and everything works fine.

From what I've read here, the HR21 should have automatically formatted the new HD on boot. I tried the REC-DOWN ARROW trick, the SELECT button trick to access the diagnostic menus, etc. Nothing works. I did plug the new HD into my PC and ran SpinRite, and it says everything is OK.

Any ideas? I suppose I could buy an external eSATA enclosure, but I'm wondering if I will have the same problem.

Suggestions?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 ONLINE   bobnielsen

bobnielsen

Éminence grise

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,100 posts
  • LocationBainbridge Island, WA

Posted 25 July 2010 - 10:40 AM

Some WD models are problematic. See this thread.

#3 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,349 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 25 July 2010 - 11:00 AM

Hi All,

I spent about an hour this morning searching and reading the various discussions in this forum regarding upgrading the internal hard drive of a HR2x receiver, but haven't found a solution to my problem.

I tried replacing the WD 330G HD in my HR21-700 with a WD 1TB unit. When I boot up the receiver, it goes through a few of the startup steps, but never gets to a "Formatting hard drive..." screen, and I instead end up with a blue screen saying there's something wrong with the hard drive, etc., error 14-909. I put back the original HD and everything works fine.

From what I've read here, the HR21 should have automatically formatted the new HD on boot. I tried the REC-DOWN ARROW trick, the SELECT button trick to access the diagnostic menus, etc. Nothing works. I did plug the new HD into my PC and ran SpinRite, and it says everything is OK.

Any ideas? I suppose I could buy an external eSATA enclosure, but I'm wondering if I will have the same problem.

Suggestions?

What model of WD HDD do you have?

Rich

#4 OFFLINE   sweetpete

sweetpete

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 25 July 2010 - 11:20 AM

Hi Guys,

Thanks for responding so quickly. I have the WD1002FAEX (1TB, 64MB cache). I'll search that discussion mentioned above.

#5 OFFLINE   sweetpete

sweetpete

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 25 July 2010 - 11:31 AM

Guys,

Also, this drive is NOT an Advanced Format drive:

"http://www.pcper.com/article.php?aid=870"

#6 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,349 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 25 July 2010 - 02:53 PM

Hi Guys,

Thanks for responding so quickly. I have the WD1002FAEX (1TB, 64MB cache). I'll search that discussion mentioned above.

I think we've found your problem. I'm not positive, but I think that might be an EARS HDD and if it is it's not gonna work. Better to get the WD EVDS HDD drives. In any event, I haven't heard of any HDDs with a 64MB cache that work with the HRs.

Rich

#7 OFFLINE   sweetpete

sweetpete

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 25 July 2010 - 04:03 PM

Rich,

So, one of these?

"http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136496&cm_re=western_digital_av-_-22-136-496-_-Product"

#8 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,349 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 26 July 2010 - 07:11 AM

Rich,

So, one of these?

"http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136496&cm_re=western_digital_av-_-22-136-496-_-Product"

Yes, but I'd buy it from Amazon. They have no restocking fees. Also, you might want to consider the 1.5TB version of that same model. Just a few bucks more.

Rich

#9 OFFLINE   sweetpete

sweetpete

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 26 July 2010 - 08:57 AM

Thanks Rich - will do!

Protected By... spam firewall...And...