Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Selling my HR24, Where are the purchases stored?

• Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   Richierich

Richierich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,465 posts

Posted 26 July 2010 - 09:10 AM

Even though you are an exemployee don't count on the box showing up as owned until you have checked with D*.

You have to tell Directv that it was Owned by the previous Directv Customer and they can check and see that it was Owned and then Flag it an an Owned DVR on your Account.

I had to call Twice to get this done after a CSR with the Access Card Department refused to flag it as Owned until I had to call and get another Customer Service Agent who was Experienced to put in my notes on my account (after she had verified it was indeed Owned by the Previous Customer) and then she transferred me to the Access Card Department where they read the notes and noted that it was an Owned DVR.
DIRECTV CUSTOMER SINCE 1997
Here's My Setup

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson

6EQUJ5 WOW!

• Moderators
  • 13,824 posts

Posted 26 July 2010 - 10:10 AM

For quite awhile the HR21 pro's were selling for $200 new.

I would think many people would pay more for an owned HR24 than an owned HR21 PRO

I agree with you there. Given the choice, I’d take the HR24 for more money every day of the week.

Additionally, I don’t really see a reason to pay the extra money for an owned receiver. Speaking only for me, I don’t see an advantage.

• I would prefer to plug in an eSATA drive rather than open it up (owned or not) so that doesn’t matter to me.
  • By the time I’m ready to drop it in favor of new model it won’t be worth much on the open market.
  • The “Additional Receiver” & “Leased Receiver” fee are exactly the same so I don’t save any money.
  • Owning the DVR will actually cost me more because of the higher price to acquire the receiver than the price to lease (which could be free in some cases...not usually but it has been known to happen).
  • Although the external enclosure adds cost to the drive it won’t offset the added cost to own the DVR.
Besides, I still have old receivers and two dishes laying around that I need to get rid of. If it’s leased, I return them and I’m done...except for the dishes. They don’t seem to ever want them back. :grin:

My 2¢ FWIW.

Mike

µß
Since it costs 2.4¢ to produce a penny, my 2¢ worth is really 4.8¢ worth.  That 4.8¢ is my own and not the 4.8¢ of DIRECTV, Dish, or anyone else for that matter.

#23 OFFLINE   Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich

Lifetime Achiever

• Registered
  • 30,092 posts

Posted 26 July 2010 - 10:17 AM

Former employee is how its owned, all employee equipment is owned

Umm... No it isn't.
You better double check twice.

All my equipment is classifed as leased.
I had to jump through a lot of hopes, to deactivate a D12 and hang on to it for testing purposes.

They actually did charge the non-return charge, because I didn't send it back in.
Earl - Gotta Love Karma

DIRECTV employee since April 2008.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#24 OFFLINE   jackten

jackten

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 33 posts

Posted 26 July 2010 - 10:56 AM

Well, all of my equipment was owned, even an H21 which was originally a leased piece of equipment, once it was activated on my account it became Owned equipment. I have seen my account and other employee accounts and all of the equipment i've seen has always been owned, as is this HR24. IMO, the HR24 is the way to go, primarily in terms of speediness. Scrolling through the playlist is SUPER quick and the guide can fly by too. Thanks for all the input, but I'm not sure we have a consensus or a test case on the recordings:

Does getting a new access card make the recordings useless? I can see how it would, as the access card seems to "do" the decoding, but it seems like there's some other opinions out there.
5LNB SWiM System
HR24-100
HR20-700
HR20-700
R22-100

#25 OFFLINE   spartanstew

spartanstew

Dry as a bone

• Registered
  • 12,427 posts
  • LocationWylie, Texas

Posted 26 July 2010 - 10:59 AM

You better double check twice.

In other words, check four times.

I'm sure Directv can't wait to get their hands on your unit.

Directv customer since 2000

#26 OFFLINE   matt

matt

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,858 posts

Posted 26 July 2010 - 11:01 AM

Does getting a new access card make the recordings useless? I can see how it would, as the access card seems to "do" the decoding, but it seems like there's some other opinions out there.

Like I said:

I have bought DVRs with recordings on them that play fine after I get a new card. It is usually crap I don't care about though, but I have watched some movies that way. :)

Slimline 5 with SWM-16
Wireless DECA
HR34-700!
R22-200 Leased
Owned H25-700 and H24-700 off and packed for the move.

DIRECTV subscriber since Nov. 2009

#27 OFFLINE   Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich

Lifetime Achiever

• Registered
  • 30,092 posts

Posted 26 July 2010 - 11:03 AM

Well, all of my equipment was owned, even an H21 which was originally a leased piece of equipment, once it was activated on my account it became Owned equipment. I have seen my account and other employee accounts and all of the equipment i've seen has always been owned, as is this HR24. IMO, the HR24 is the way to go, primarily in terms of speediness. Scrolling through the playlist is SUPER quick and the guide can fly by too. Thanks for all the input, but I'm not sure we have a consensus or a test case on the recordings:

Well if you are sure it is owned....
All I know is that mine (and most of my co-workers) all our equipment is leased, just like the customers.

As for the recording... just reset the entire box to erase the recordings.

Typically before you can switch Access Cards, the box has to dial in (or internet connect) to make sure all PPV has been charged correctly.

The non-ppv recordings shouldn't be tied to the access card, they are tied to the RID.
Earl - Gotta Love Karma

All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#28 OFFLINE   jackten

jackten

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 33 posts

Posted 26 July 2010 - 11:06 AM

Earl,

Are you an HSP account type or a DTV account type? In other words, are you an installer working for an HSP or do you work for Directv itself? I know there's a BIG difference in terms of equipment and billing, maybe that's what the difference is. Mine was a DTV account type, and all DTV account equipment is owned equipment.
5LNB SWiM System
HR24-100
HR20-700
HR20-700
R22-100

#29 OFFLINE   gfrang

gfrang

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,335 posts

Posted 26 July 2010 - 11:07 AM

For me lease is a win win except for the state tax i get charged each mouth.

I would never think of buying a receiver.

#30 OFFLINE   matt

matt

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,858 posts

Posted 26 July 2010 - 11:09 AM

[*]Owning the DVR will actually cost me more because of the higher price to acquire the receiver than the price to lease (which could be free in some cases...not usually but it has been known to happen).

Not in my case. I have never paid anywhere close to the lease price, even with my HR24. I have bought 2 HR20s in the past for less than $50 each, along with several other steals and deals. Maybe after I am out of my first year the prices will get down to $100 and possibly free, but why bother to wait for that?

Because the hard drive may go out? Oh no! It's $20 for a leased replacement. If the one you bought works for years awesome, or if it only works for 2 days then you just leased a new receiver for the ~$50 you paid for the owned one, $20 for the card you needed, and $20 shipping. You just leased a DVR for ~$90; $110 off the normal lease price and $10 off a loyal customer discount. Sure, you extend your commitment that way, but who cares anyway? If I spend $100 or $200 on something I hope to use it for at least two years or I wouldn't have bought it.
Slimline 5 with SWM-16
Wireless DECA
HR34-700!
R22-200 Leased

#31 OFFLINE   Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich

Lifetime Achiever

• Registered
  • 30,092 posts

Posted 26 July 2010 - 11:09 AM

Earl,

Are you an HSP account type or a DTV account type? In other words, are you an installer working for an HSP or do you work for Directv itself? I know there's a BIG difference in terms of equipment and billing, maybe that's what the difference is. Mine was a DTV account type, and all DTV account equipment is owned equipment.

Yes, I work for Directv itself, and it is a DTV Account.
And the system that was just added to my account two months ago, leased.
Earl - Gotta Love Karma

#32 OFFLINE   jackten

jackten

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 33 posts

Posted 26 July 2010 - 11:11 AM

Well, that's an error somewhere. I'm not sure if you have access to it in your position, but look it up in DORIS. Activation of any equipment on a DTV account makes it owned equipment.
5LNB SWiM System
HR24-100
HR20-700
HR20-700
R22-100

#33 OFFLINE   matt

matt

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,858 posts

Posted 26 July 2010 - 11:12 AM

Earl, do you have access to DORIS in your position? :lol: :lol: :lol:
Slimline 5 with SWM-16
Wireless DECA
HR34-700!
R22-200 Leased

#34 OFFLINE   spartanstew

spartanstew

Dry as a bone

• Registered
  • 12,427 posts
  • LocationWylie, Texas

Posted 26 July 2010 - 11:12 AM

I'm not sure if you have access to it in your position,

:lol:

I'm sure Directv can't wait to get their hands on your unit.

Directv customer since 2000

#35 OFFLINE   jackten

jackten

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 33 posts

Posted 26 July 2010 - 11:15 AM

Didn't mean to step on anybody's toes here, and I'm sure Earl does, but just something to look up if someone has access to it.
5LNB SWiM System
HR24-100
HR20-700
HR20-700
R22-100

#36 OFFLINE   matt

matt

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,858 posts

Posted 26 July 2010 - 11:15 AM

Maybe we should move this to the Laughter Is The Best Medicine forum because I find that post pretty darn funny! :D
Slimline 5 with SWM-16
Wireless DECA
HR34-700!
R22-200 Leased

#37 OFFLINE   Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich

Lifetime Achiever

• Registered
  • 30,092 posts

Posted 26 July 2010 - 11:18 AM

It's all good...

Just posting to make sure that you verify it is owned, not really trying to drag out DTV internal processes here. I don't have an issue with my equipment being leased.

If your's are flagged as owned... then I guess you are free to do with them as you wish.

Let's not worry about if I have access to DORIS or Doris either :) My wife may be reading this thread...
Earl - Gotta Love Karma

#38 OFFLINE   jackten

jackten

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 33 posts

Posted 26 July 2010 - 05:48 PM

Called Customer service and they confirmed All of my 6 Receivers all are owned by me, even the one which was originally leased (An H21 sent to my dad, which he didn't need, and I activated on my account instead) became owned upon activation.
5LNB SWiM System
HR24-100
HR20-700
HR20-700
R22-100

#39 OFFLINE   jackten

jackten

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 33 posts

Posted 26 July 2010 - 06:50 PM

Sold
5LNB SWiM System
HR24-100
HR20-700
HR20-700
R22-100

#40 OFFLINE   jep8821

jep8821

Mentor

• Registered
  • 41 posts

Posted 02 August 2010 - 07:31 PM

I was the one who purchased the Reciever and Directv had no problem activating it as owned. I called in advance and had Directv send a new access card. It arrived today as well. Everything went smoothly. I did proactively request the access card division when I called to activate it.

Thanks.

Jason Pollard
All Owned:
HR34-700
HR24-500
HR23-100
HR21-200
SWM 16
DECA (self installed)

spam firewall