Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

How to configure my house?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Eastern Bear

Eastern Bear

• Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 25 July 2010 - 12:26 PM

I'm currently a DISH subscriber and I'm seriously considering moving to DirecTV because of the sports programming. The DISH website has a cool feature that allows you to configure your house, but I cannot find a similar feature for DirecTV. Perhaps some of you wouldn't mind pointing me in the right direction or just giving me a good config.

Here's what I have now:

4 TVs in the house.
2 HD DVR receivers. Each shared by two separate TVs. Only two are able to view HD.

(I like this because I only need two receivers and one of the TVs is in the kitchen. There is no practical way to have a receiver in there.)

The HD DVR + option from DirecTV looks appealing, but I guess that means I would need the HD DVR + and three HD+ Receivers? How do the remotes work? Could I hide my kitchen based receiver somewhere? (perhaps in the basement just below my kitchen?)

Thanks for any tips. I'd love to see an on-line configurator that would also show me the costs.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 ONLINE   azarby

azarby

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,019 posts

Posted 25 July 2010 - 01:14 PM

I'm currently a DISH subscriber and I'm seriously considering moving to DirecTV because of the sports programming. The DISH website has a cool feature that allows you to configure your house, but I cannot find a similar feature for DirecTV. Perhaps some of you wouldn't mind pointing me in the right direction or just giving me a good config.

Here's what I have now:

4 TVs in the house.
2 HD DVR receivers. Each shared by two separate TVs. Only two are able to view HD.

(I like this because I only need two receivers and one of the TVs is in the kitchen. There is no practical way to have a receiver in there.)

The HD DVR + option from DirecTV looks appealing, but I guess that means I would need the HD DVR + and three HD+ Receivers? How do the remotes work? Could I hide my kitchen based receiver somewhere? (perhaps in the basement just below my kitchen?)

Thanks for any tips. I'd love to see an on-line configurator that would also show me the costs.

DTV doesn't have a configurator. What you need to do is determine how many DVRs you want and how many plain HD receivers. Using the whole home connection scheme, any box can playback any saved recording from any DVR. If you wnat to record four things at one time, get 2 HD DVRS and 2 HD receivers. If you neeed to record 6 things, then 3 DVRS etc. Each HD receiver has two seperate tuners and can be used to record or watch two broadcasts at the same time. You can also record two programs while watching a previously recorded broadcast. Using SWiM technology, only one cable per receiver is necessary and if you want VOD, a way to access your router and tie it into the coax.

Good luck and enjoy.

#3 OFFLINE   spartanstew

spartanstew

Dry as a bone

• Registered
  • 12,433 posts
  • LocationWylie, Texas

Posted 25 July 2010 - 01:51 PM

And all the DVR's outputs are active all the time, so you could have a box in the living room connected via HDMI and you could run component to the kitchen to use the same box. Both displays would have to be watching the same program, but you wouldn't need a box in the kitchen by doing this. If it's a SD set in the kitchen, you could also run composite.

I'm sure Directv can't wait to get their hands on your unit.

Directv customer since 2000

#4 OFFLINE   Eastern Bear

Eastern Bear

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 26 July 2010 - 04:40 PM

Thanks for the suggestions. I have a couple of follow up questions. If I had a single receiver connected to the kitchen and the living room could I watch two different shows at the same time? It looks like I can based on azarby's comments, but spartanstew makes me wonder.

I think I may be able to avoid the whole issue if the receivers use a UHF remote. I could easily put the receiver in the basement with a UHF remote (that's how I do it now with my DISH receiver). Anybody know if DirecTV receivers use UHF?

Thanks again for your patience with this long time lurker...:)

#5 OFFLINE   Scott Kocourek

Scott Kocourek

On the edge

• Super Moderators
  • 9,051 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 26 July 2010 - 04:47 PM

Thanks for the suggestions. I have a couple of follow up questions. If I had a single receiver connected to the kitchen and the living room could I watch two different shows at the same time? It looks like I can based on azarby's comments, but spartanstew makes me wonder.

I think I may be able to avoid the whole issue if the receivers use a UHF remote. I could easily put the receiver in the basement with a UHF remote (that's how I do it now with my DISH receiver). Anybody know if DirecTV receivers use UHF?

Thanks again for your patience with this long time lurker...:)

If you have a single receiver or HDDVR you can still only watch the same show if one receiver is hooked to two tv's.

If you have a HDDVR in one room and a HD receiver in another you can watch one recording on the HDDVR and another recording using the HD receiver via Whole Home DVR setup. Confusing enough?

Yes directv receivers work with RF or IR, but not both at the same time. I don't know what frequency though.

Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, Dish Network, or any other company.
Become a DBSTalk.com member or join the CE program HERE

#6 OFFLINE   Scott Kocourek

Scott Kocourek

On the edge

• Super Moderators
  • 9,051 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 26 July 2010 - 04:50 PM

Check This out, the Whole Home DVR service explained by smarter people. :lol:

Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, Dish Network, or any other company.
Become a DBSTalk.com member or join the CE program HERE

#7 OFFLINE   Eastern Bear

Eastern Bear

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 28 July 2010 - 09:42 PM

Thanks!

spam firewall