Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

new customer grace period

media player

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   rale2001

rale2001

• Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 25 July 2010 - 04:39 PM

how long is the grace period for new customers that has already been installed with dish??

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   BattleZone

BattleZone

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 25 July 2010 - 04:59 PM

If you mean "how long from activation can I cancel without penalty?" then the answer is 24 hours.

If you mean "how long from when I cancel can I come back to Dish as a New Customer?" the answer is never, though after 2 years, you can get nearly a new customer deal (but you can't buy off the 2-year commitment like a new customer can).

#3 OFFLINE   rale2001

rale2001

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 25 July 2010 - 05:04 PM

thanx for the quick response

#4 OFFLINE   garys

garys

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,163 posts

Posted 25 July 2010 - 07:43 PM

If you mean "how long from when I cancel can I come back to Dish as a New Customer?" the answer is never, though after 2 years, you can get nearly a new customer deal (but you can't buy off the 2-year commitment like a new customer can).

This has been cut to about 6 months.

#5 OFFLINE   tsmacro

tsmacro

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,151 posts
  • LocationEast Central Indiana

Posted 26 July 2010 - 01:27 PM

This has been cut to about 6 months.

As of February it's down to 3 mos now.

"The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair." - Douglas Adams

"Who would rule a nation when he could have easier work, such as carrying water uphill in a sieve?" - Robert Jordan

#6 OFFLINE   lee635

lee635

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,010 posts

Posted 30 July 2010 - 05:18 PM

I thought that new customers could cancel within 30 days and get a full refund? Is it really only 24 hours?
An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind. - Ghandi

#7 OFFLINE   Slamminc11

Slamminc11

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,327 posts

Posted 30 July 2010 - 05:57 PM

I thought that new customers could cancel within 30 days and get a full refund? Is it really only 24 hours?

Dish had the 30 day MBG like three years ago, but not since then

#8 OFFLINE   BattleZone

BattleZone

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 30 July 2010 - 09:17 PM

Yes. Both Dish and DirecTV only give you 24 hours, and they don't even advertise that (the CSR will usually not offer that information if you call).

Keep in mind that the cost to install and activate a new customer is about $700 on average. That's money that largely evaporates if a customer cancels right away, and WAY to expensive to let people just "try it out." This isn't 1996 when people didn't know how satellite worked; it's well proven and well understood, so there's no reason to offer a free 30-day trial (at the cost of $700 or more), which is more-or-less what would happen.

Like all national companies, DirecTV has to set up their rules based on the lowest common denominator. As it is, there are people who try to scam by ordering a satellite install just to get their house wired for free, or just to get a short period of free service, then complain (often about nothing, or about problems they've caused) so they can cancel for free. The contracts and 24-hour rule have *mostly* eliminated those abusers, but plenty of people still order when they have no intention of paying the bill, just to get a month or two of free service. These are the people who like to complain to their installer how Comcast is "trying to charge me $500!" without mentioning that they ordered the top package with all premiums and didn't pay their bill for 3 months until they were disconnected. We all end up paying for these folks, so it's in everyone's best interest to minimize those expenses.

spam firewall