Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Two HR24 setup

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   wistex

wistex

Mentor

• Registered
  • 36 posts

Posted 26 July 2010 - 08:04 AM

I had DirecTV for 3 years, then I moved, so I thought I would give U-Verse a try because of the total home DVR. That is awesome but the HD quality is pretty miserable, especially for sports. I'm moving from my rental now and U-Verse isn't even in the new neighborhood. The new place has existing DirecTV service, but they have the Hx20 models, which is what I used to have as well. When we move in, I want two HR24s and a H24. I don't have three HDTVs yet, only 1, but I will as soon as we figure out the space requirements in each area. Will the installer have an issue with that? From reading here, it sounds like I should also request a Internet Connection Kit?

I've been reading on directv.com and here a lot but I still have a few questions about the MRV and DECA. With two HR24s wired up, will I be able to record 4 HD shows at the same time with a single playlist? Do I ever specify which DVR is recording what or does the system just switch back and forth between two DVRs such that the "next" recording is on the DVR with the most space remaining? Thanks everyone, I'm really excited about this next generation DirecTV system.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   joed32

joed32

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,636 posts

Posted 26 July 2010 - 08:25 AM

I had DirecTV for 3 years, then I moved, so I thought I would give U-Verse a try because of the total home DVR. That is awesome but the HD quality is pretty miserable, especially for sports. I'm moving from my rental now and U-Verse isn't even in the new neighborhood. The new place has existing DirecTV service, but they have the Hx20 models, which is what I used to have as well. When we move in, I want two HR24s and a H24. I don't have three HDTVs yet, only 1, but I will as soon as we figure out the space requirements in each area. Will the installer have an issue with that? From reading here, it sounds like I should also request a Internet Connection Kit?

I've been reading on directv.com and here a lot but I still have a few questions about the MRV and DECA. With two HR24s wired up, will I be able to record 4 HD shows at the same time with a single playlist? Do I ever specify which DVR is recording what or does the system just switch back and forth between two DVRs such that the "next" recording is on the DVR with the most space remaining? Thanks everyone, I'm really excited about this next generation DirecTV system.

DVRs can only control what they record, they can not control another DVR. They can play what is on another DVR. From a non DVR receiver you can select "record" and then choose which DVR to record to. Hope that makes sense. 2 DVRs could record 4 programs but you would have to set up 2 on one DVR and then set up 2 on the Other DVR. I just added an HD receiver to my all DVR system to make life simpler. Now I can record from a single location.

#3 OFFLINE   wistex

wistex

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 36 posts

Posted 26 July 2010 - 08:31 AM

I think that makes sense. So DVR1 would have its own set of season passes and DVR2 would have a second set of season passes, with no overlap. But all recorded programs will be accessible from any HR24/H24. So it's mostly just an initial setup issue. The playlist is combined but the DVR functions are not.

#4 OFFLINE   jodyguercio

jodyguercio

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,793 posts

Posted 26 July 2010 - 08:34 AM

I think that makes sense. So DVR1 would have its own set of season passes and DVR2 would have a second set of season passes, with no overlap. But all recorded programs will be accessible from any HR24/H24. So it's mostly just an initial setup issue. The playlist is combined but the DVR functions are not.

Exactly. One dvr can be setup to record ABC/CBS shows and the other NBC (are there shows there still to watch?)/FOX shows. You can then share the playlist on both units and all programs will be viewable on all units.
A veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life." That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it. -- Author Unknown

LIVE SIMPLE, LOVE GENEROUSLY , CARE DEEPLY, SPEAK KINDLY AND LEAVE THE REST TO GOD

#5 OFFLINE   wistex

wistex

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 36 posts

Posted 26 July 2010 - 08:53 AM

Well, I can deal with that! Sounds amazing! This will give me the flexibility to record the Sunday night/Monday night football games without having to juggle DVRs and later showings of other shows.

I like NBCs Thursday night comedies, Chuck, and "The Event" sounds promising as a new show. So I still watch more NBC than CBS where I only watch The Amazing Race!

#6 OFFLINE   bobnielsen

bobnielsen

Éminence grise

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,969 posts
  • LocationBainbridge Island, WA

Posted 26 July 2010 - 08:59 AM

Since the others didn't mention it, I recommend that you do get the internet connection kit as part of your installation. It will tie your router into the DECA network, giving you access to Media Share, TV Apps, VOD and Directv2PC.

spam firewall