Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Dissapointed with my initial experience

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   mmurray21

mmurray21

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 11 posts

Posted 26 July 2010 - 08:45 AM

I must say that I am disappointed with my initial experience with Direct TV. I was previously a Tivo/Time Warner user. I didn't like the lack of HD on TW and from reading the DTV website, it looked like the feature set of the systems were close enough that it would be worth the switch. I previously had 3 HD Tivos and the associate at DTV convinced me that all I would need was 1 DVR and two receivers with MRV to get comparable functionality

My initial install on Thursday was fine until we ran into the issue with MRV and using the internet. I had to come back to this site to confirm that it wouldn't work as it should be just plugging in an ethernet cable into the DVR. When I called DTV they spent 30 minutes telling me all I needed to do was plug in the cable, then they asked do you really want to have an internet connection to your DVR? I said, your website says all these features should work, why is it so hard to actually get them working.

The guy comes out and does the decca thing and after an hour on the phone trying to get MRV to work again we finally get it set up. With Tivo we rarely watch live tivo, so imagine my shock when i realized and confirmed on this site that only one receiver can pull from the DVR at a time. We have two kids who like to watch different programming. One stream at a time is a joke.

Since we finally got the internet set up, I decided to try mediashare and direct 2 PC. Both of these programs seem alpha and certainly not ready for primetime. With Tivo, the features just worked and the support for codecs was pretty vast.

If I get another DVR, I should be fine for viewing, but I doubt direct tv will give me one. Maybe I can find an older model on ebay for the kids.

I think the picture quality and channel line-up for DTV are superior, but as of today, I am disappointed and longing for the days of Tivo where everything worked as it should the first time without all of the alpha features marketed as GA ready.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   joed32

joed32

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,685 posts

Posted 26 July 2010 - 08:57 AM

I must say that I am disappointed with my initial experience with Direct TV. I was previously a Tivo/Time Warner user. I didn't like the lack of HD on TW and from reading the DTV website, it looked like the feature set of the systems were close enough that it would be worth the switch. I previously had 3 HD Tivos and the associate at DTV convinced me that all I would need was 1 DVR and two receivers with MRV to get comparable functionality

My initial install on Thursday was fine until we ran into the issue with MRV and using the internet. I had to come back to this site to confirm that it wouldn't work as it should be just plugging in an ethernet cable into the DVR. When I called DTV they spent 30 minutes telling me all I needed to do was plug in the cable, then they asked do you really want to have an internet connection to your DVR? I said, your website says all these features should work, why is it so hard to actually get them working.

The guy comes out and does the decca thing and after an hour on the phone trying to get MRV to work again we finally get it set up. With Tivo we rarely watch live tivo, so imagine my shock when i realized and confirmed on this site that only one receiver can pull from the DVR at a time. We have two kids who like to watch different programming. One stream at a time is a joke.

Since we finally got the internet set up, I decided to try mediashare and direct 2 PC. Both of these programs seem alpha and certainly not ready for primetime. With Tivo, the features just worked and the support for codecs was pretty vast.

If I get another DVR, I should be fine for viewing, but I doubt direct tv will give me one. Maybe I can find an older model on ebay for the kids.

I think the picture quality and channel line-up for DTV are superior, but as of today, I am disappointed and longing for the days of Tivo where everything worked as it should the first time without all of the alpha features marketed as GA ready.

The big difference is that your Tivos were all DVRs. Maybe you can talk them into giving you a DVR in exchange for one of your non DVRs, then you would be good to go. CSRs and installers still don't know how MRV works for the most part because it's still new. I'm running it with Cat-5 cables to avoid the hassle of an install til they know what they're doing. If you buy (lease) an older model like an HR21, 22, 23 it will need to be installed into your system with Deca. Talk to them and see if they can help you out and good luck!

#3 OFFLINE   cover

cover

Icon

• Registered
  • 529 posts

Posted 26 July 2010 - 09:06 AM

I am disappointed and longing for the days of Tivo where everything worked as it should the first time without all of the alpha features marketed as GA ready.

This is beating a dead horse around here, but I still miss the reliability and "just works" factor of the DirecTiVo boxes prior to the current HR2x series. They did not do MRV, VOD via internet, video sharing, and other thing that have been added to the HR2x series. But in my experience they did their basic job of recording and playing shows better and more reliably than the HR2x.

This doesn't help you (or me) now, but a new TiVo-based DirecTV DVR is still supposedly on schedule to be released later this year.

#4 OFFLINE   wingrider01

wingrider01

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,764 posts

Posted 26 July 2010 - 02:11 PM

This is beating a dead horse around here, but I still miss the reliability and "just works" factor of the DirecTiVo boxes prior to the current HR2x series. They did not do MRV, VOD via internet, video sharing, and other thing that have been added to the HR2x series. But in my experience they did their basic job of recording and playing shows better and more reliably than the HR2x.

This doesn't help you (or me) now, but a new TiVo-based DirecTV DVR is still supposedly on schedule to be released later this year.

sorry the HR2X's that I have fall into the same qualifcation - they just work, they record and play session with no issues.

hat you are tlaking about are optional features that have nothing to do with the basic operation of the HR2X

thought it is rumored to 2011 now

#5 OFFLINE   dsm

dsm

Godfather

• Registered
  • 315 posts

Posted 26 July 2010 - 08:28 PM

My hr20s are very reliable. I'm also embarrassed to admit that I rarely use double buffering. Guess I got so used to the work arounds I actually prefer them now.

#6 OFFLINE   mmurray21

mmurray21

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 11 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 09:19 AM

If you buy (lease) an older model like an HR21, 22, 23 it will need to be installed into your system with Deca. Talk to them and see if they can help you out and good luck!

Does it still need the decca stuff even if I dont care about it communicating with the other DVR/receiver? I just want to have a stand alone unit for the kids.

I spoke to DTV and they told me I need to pay $200 on top of the $5 rental fee for another DVR. Couldn't I buy an older unit off ebay as a standalone and by pass the lease fee.

#7 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,982 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 09:24 AM

Does it still need the decca stuff even if I dont care about it communicating with the other DVR/receiver? I just want to have a stand alone unit for the kids.

I spoke to DTV and they told me I need to pay $200 on top of the $5 rental fee for another DVR. Couldn't I buy an older unit off ebay as a standalone and by pass the lease fee.

Since it looks like you have a SWiM system, the only "Standalone" DVR that works with SWiM is the R16 which is a leased unit, so ebay more than likely wouldn't be an option.
A.K.A VOS

#8 OFFLINE   mmurray21

mmurray21

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 11 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 09:34 AM

Since it looks like you have a SWiM system, the only "Standalone" DVR that works with SWiM is the R16 which is a leased unit, so ebay more than likely wouldn't be an option.

They really have be boxed in....

So I could get rid of the decca stuff, give up on demand, and get the ebay unit

submit to the 200 fee

or go back to time warner

I am already in the dog house because we lost the ability to stream ripped dvd's from my computer and the easy to use netflix integration. I was bamboozeld into thinking on demand would alleviate the netflix issue and media share would help with ripped dvd's

#9 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,119 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 27 July 2010 - 09:44 AM

submit to the 200 fee

I am already in the dog house because we lost the ability to stream ripped dvd's from my computer and the easy to use netflix integration. I was bamboozeld into thinking on demand would alleviate the netflix issue and media share would help with ripped dvd's

Or you didn't do you're homework.
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#10 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,982 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 09:59 AM

submit to the 200 fee

It's not the "DECA stuff", but the type of dish you have. Yes, you could give up the DECA networking and change the dish to the non SWiM LNB, and then go ethernet for on demand. This would let you use legacy receivers/DVRs.
I'm guessing your two kids want to be watching two different programs at the same time, while you will be watching your own recordings. To do this you do need to have two DVRs.
What are you expecting to pay for one off ebay?
A.K.A VOS

#11 OFFLINE   BAHitman

BAHitman

Godfather

• Registered
  • 431 posts
  • LocationAustin Texas

Posted 27 July 2010 - 10:06 AM

Media share will allow you to stream your ripped DVD's. download and try playon. Playon will also let you stream netflix, youtube, hulu, and many others, as well as having a plugin to allow you to stream your DVD's.

you don't need to get rid if you SWiM setup. you can simply get a 2nd HDDVR, (DO NOT DO THIS FROM EBAY). go to amazon or dig around online you can find them a bit cheaper than the $199 that DirecTV charges for them. (you can always try to get DirecTV to give you a discount on one)

HR34, HR20x3, HR22, HR23, H24, H21

-BAHitman

#12 OFFLINE   mdavej

mdavej

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,251 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 10:14 AM

You could certainly try Playon as others have suggested, but I think you'll still be disappointed (still very slow, and the video quality is poor at best). Better to have a box actually designed for streaming. As you've already found out, D* boxes are terrible at that, even with 3rd party servers.

#13 OFFLINE   usnret

usnret

Icon

• Registered
  • 587 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 10:28 AM

Just call D, explain what you want, what it's for, what you can afford, and see what they say. The call doesn't cost anything and they might supprise you.

#14 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,906 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 10:33 AM

I understand your frustration. I really do. I do think that the media sharing is about the weakest aspect of the DIRECTV DVR. I also think you got some bad information about how to hook up the system for whole home viewing.

Like others here, I can't help thinking that you'd be better off with a second DVR, and while paying more money is a lousy solution, it would at least let you stay with DIRECTV where the programming options are better (according to your first post.)

My next step, if I were you, would be to politely work your way up the ladder with customer service. It will be time-consuming but after repeating your story several times I believe you'll be escalated to someone who may be able to help you get what you need with a combination of discounts and complimentary services.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#15 OFFLINE   dsm

dsm

Godfather

• Registered
  • 315 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 11:31 AM

When you call and the recording asks what you want always say "cancel service", this gets me to a capable person who can make decisions about whatever I need every time. Or maybe I'm just lucky...

Steve

#16 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,906 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 11:36 AM

Yeah, and sometimes it's a one-way ticket to canceling your service. Be careful.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#17 OFFLINE   mmurray21

mmurray21

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 11 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 02:29 PM

Media share will allow you to stream your ripped DVD's. download and try playon. Playon will also let you stream netflix, youtube, hulu, and many others, as well as having a plugin to allow you to stream your DVD's.

you don't need to get rid if you SWiM setup. you can simply get a 2nd HDDVR, (DO NOT DO THIS FROM EBAY). go to amazon or dig around online you can find them a bit cheaper than the $199 that DirecTV charges for them. (you can always try to get DirecTV to give you a discount on one)

I am trying hulu now with mixed results. It will definitely help with the wife.

On buying a unit from Amazon.... Are all the units lease options(24's & 23's)? I dont mind paying $200, I just dont like the idea of paying a monthly lease on top of it.

#18 OFFLINE   Carl Spock

Carl Spock

Superfly

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,567 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 02:36 PM

The monthly receiver fee is not for leasing. The $5 per receiver fee existed a dozen years ago when we all owned our own stuff. It is often called a mirror fee because it duplicates the service to your first receiver. In fact, when you start getting bills, you will find a $5 fee for each receiver and a $5 credit for your main receiver. That one is free.

And you'd pay that $5 per receiver fee even if you owned your receiver, as a few folks still do.
hangin' with the bros at 40 Eridani A

#19 OFFLINE   billsharpe

billsharpe

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,307 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted 28 July 2010 - 10:24 AM

When you call and the recording asks what you want always say "cancel service", this gets me to a capable person who can make decisions about whatever I need every time. Or maybe I'm just lucky...

Steve

"Promotions" seems to be the magic word for me.
Bill

Family room: Sony Bravia KDL-40SL130
Living room: Sceptre 32 inch

Protected By... spam firewall...And...