Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

New Cust. Wanted HR24, Got HR23, Told can't get HR24

• Please log in to reply
107 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   gilg1

gilg1

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 14 posts

Posted 26 July 2010 - 04:35 PM

When I had my MRV installed a couple months ago, I was speaking to the DirecTV installer and his supervisor, both from DTV and not a sub-contractor, about the HR24 and H24 receivers. The supervisor told me that ALL new customers are supposed to receive the HR24 and H24 receivers upon installation. Like Sim-X stated earlier, you should have just refused the installation.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 28,917 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 26 July 2010 - 04:47 PM

I think that's "All new customer who also order whole-home" are supposed to get 24s. I'm not sure that's the case when whole home isn't ordered.
DIRECTV Firmware Monitor - iPhone - Android - HTML5

DIRECTV employee since August 2011.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#23 OFFLINE   matt

matt

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,858 posts

Posted 26 July 2010 - 04:50 PM

I think that's "All new customer who also order whole-home" are supposed to get 24s. I'm not sure that's the case when whole home isn't ordered.

That would be my parent's, who are scheduled for Saturday. Looks like I might have to raise a fuss if they bring something else, even though I don't like the idea of the tech not getting paid properly. If they are supposed to get them, then I want to make sure they get them.
Slimline 5 with SWM-16
Wireless DECA
HR34-700!
R22-200 Leased
Owned H25-700 and H24-700 off and packed for the move.

DIRECTV subscriber since Nov. 2009

#24 OFFLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 28,917 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 26 July 2010 - 05:30 PM

"supposed to" means 24s are the priority. It's not the same thing as "has to" .. although I suppose you could force the latter if you're so inclined.
DIRECTV Firmware Monitor - iPhone - Android - HTML5

DIRECTV employee since August 2011.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#25 OFFLINE   matt

matt

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,858 posts

Posted 26 July 2010 - 05:35 PM

Eh, it's a PITA to schedule stuff like this since they live an hour and a half away. I just won't take an HR21-100s!

Mom has my old Series 2 Tivo and dad has a VCR so I doubt they will care about it as much as I do, but I will ask for the Hx24 and see what happens. We are doing basically a custom install so I don't think it would be nice to send the tech away too many times :)
Slimline 5 with SWM-16
Wireless DECA
HR34-700!
R22-200 Leased

#26 OFFLINE   poppin_fresh

poppin_fresh

Mentor

• Registered
  • 47 posts

Posted 26 July 2010 - 05:57 PM

I just turned my installer away a couple minutes ago. I specified hr24, he knew I wanted it, but the warehouse was out and gave him hr21 refurbs to give me. I told him i didn't want three year old equipment and he understood. They can't tell me when they will have them back in stock.

So much for all whole house installs getting the 24s only. Guess I have some phone calls to make.

#27 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 26 July 2010 - 06:06 PM

I just turned my installer away a couple minutes ago. I specified hr24, he knew I wanted it, but the warehouse was out and gave him hr21 refurbs to give me. I told him i didn't want three year old equipment and he understood. They can't tell me when they will have them back in stock.

So much for all whole house installs getting the 24s only. Guess I have some phone calls to make.

If you want to make demands for specific equipment, acquire it yourself.
DTV = Digital Television

#28 OFFLINE   poppin_fresh

poppin_fresh

Mentor

• Registered
  • 47 posts

Posted 26 July 2010 - 06:43 PM

I don't think it's unreasonable for a new customer to ask for NEW equipment when signing up for new service. I asked for it when I ordered the service and was told by customer service i was getting newest equipment when they confirmed the install. Even the installer said he wouldn't take old equipment either.

#29 OFFLINE   matt

matt

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,858 posts

Posted 26 July 2010 - 07:01 PM

I don't think it's unreasonable for a new customer to ask for NEW equipment when signing up for new service. I asked for it when I ordered the service and was told by customer service i was getting newest equipment when they confirmed the install. Even the installer said he wouldn't take old equipment either.

A lot of people seem to think leasing a receiver is like leasing a car. So following that, if I go and lease a car and have the chance to lease a brand new car fast car with a big engine or an old, loud, slow, small engine (hard drive) beat up car that smells like cat pee for the same price, I'm going to wait until the dealership has the new ones in.

NEW customers should get NEW equipment. Now, I do realize that a new HR23 is still new, and that's fine. New but not newest I should say, but newest would be ideal. These old refurb boxes for new customers are a joke and almost a slap in the face with the shape some of them are in.
Slimline 5 with SWM-16
Wireless DECA
HR34-700!
R22-200 Leased

#30 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,860 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 07:22 AM

I'll say again, that until/unless DIRECTV adopts tiered pricing for its products, all DVRs are considered the same and you get what you get. There is a way to make sure that if you have an HR24, you'll get another one if it's replaced under the protection plan. Beyond that, I've yet to see them give a pathway to getting the DVR of your choice. I was told it was in the works but it hasn't shown up.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#31 OFFLINE   Sim-X

Sim-X

Godfather

• Registered
  • 381 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 08:23 AM

If you want to make demands for specific equipment, acquire it yourself.

So you should have to pay for everything out of pocket & install it yourself if your a new customer? That makes no sense at all. Maybe the idiots that came up with the "luck of the draw" policy should rethink the situation a little bit.

So when you go lease a new car from the dealership you should just get whatever they want to give you? Well sir I understand you would like a GT(HR24), but we only have a 4 cylinder so that is what you get.

You are signing a 2 year lease with them, you should be able to pick out what equipment you want. What other company has such an outrageous policy?

#32 OFFLINE   Carl Spock

Carl Spock

Superfly

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,567 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 08:30 AM

What other company has such an outrageous policy?

1) Cable TV companies all across the country.
2) Car rental companies which promise you a mid sized sedan and give you whatever is on the lot.
3) Most public schools where, in general, you don't get to pick your teachers.

I'm not saying that a subscriber shouldn't jawbone the system to get the gear they want, or a parent shouldn't move their kid to another classroom if they don't like their teacher, but this is not quite as unusual a situation as you make it, Sim-X.

Edited by Carl Spock, 27 July 2010 - 08:37 AM.

hangin' with the bros at 40 Eridani A

#33 OFFLINE   cover

cover

Icon

• Registered
  • 529 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 08:42 AM

So you should have to pay for everything out of pocket & install it yourself if your a new customer? That makes no sense at all. Maybe the idiots that came up with the "luck of the draw" policy should rethink the situation a little bit.

Long timers going back to before the leasing model always had to buy the equipment. I personally remembering paying $800 for an HR10 that I still own. The same used to be true with Dish - don't know if it still is.

But certainly it is the case that any cable company hands you whatever they happen to have. I don't like the current "luck of the draw" system either and I think it is a bit ridiculous that DTV's system apparently doesn't even give them the capability to specify which DVR model to ship, even in extraordinary circumstances. That might be OK if all the DVRs really were functionally equivalent, but they are not. Following Stuart's approach, I would even be willing to pay extra for what I want. Thankfully there are still third party retailers like SolidSignal that can provide specific models.

With all that said, I can see huge operational advantages to DTV in treating all the DVRs as equals. There are also advantages to customers, among them much lower up-front costs and easy, no hassle, low/no cost replacement if a DVR dies.

#34 OFFLINE   Sim-X

Sim-X

Godfather

• Registered
  • 381 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 09:57 AM

Actually when I had Comcast, the new DCX3400 boxes came out I got 2 of them swapped out no questions asked, no charges.

As far as the teacher example, no you don't get to pick your teachers. However if you had a valid reason to switch, I promise you that you could make it happen.

There is rental car places that let you walk out on the lot and pick the car you want. I assure you a car rental place would charge you more for a "GT" model vs a non-GT.

Not to mention the fact there is such a small amount of customer who care about what model IRD they get, so let them pick.

Do you understand how bad your customer satisfaction has to be in order to get an "F" rating from the BBB? I understand they are big company, but the BBB still factors that in and an "F" rating is outrageous.

Not sure how you could side with DTV on their policy when they have an "F" rating they are clearly doing something wrong and I promise you the way they run their leasing operation has something to do with it.

Can DirecTV run things however they want? They sure can and if I have a problem with it I can leave at anypoint. All I am saying is the policy they have in place right now is an absolute joke because I do like DirecTV and I think they have a great product but they really need to shape up with this leasing business.

Maybe I will open a pizza delivery restaurant and when someone orders a pizza they get whatever kind of pizza I decide to make. So if I have too much sausage in stock they get all sausage or if if I have too much pepperoni I will send them that. That would make people happy.

If DirecTV wants to charge a little extra for a newer model, fine but at least make it an OPTION. You shouldn't have to just get lucky.

Edited by Sim-X, 27 July 2010 - 10:03 AM.

#35 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,900 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 27 July 2010 - 10:12 AM

Do you understand how bad your customer satisfaction has to be in order to get an "F" rating from the BBB? I understand they are big company, but the BBB still factors that in and an "F" rating is outrageous.

Not sure how you could side with DTV on their policy when they have an "F" rating they are clearly doing something wrong and I promise you the way they run their leasing operation has something to do with it.

The BBB ratings are worthless, but we've beat that horse enough here. You seem to bring it up a lot...Do some research.

Ironically, Directv has ranked #1 in Customer Satisfaction in J.D. Power and Associates, for 7 years in a row, DIRECTV scored higher in customer satisfaction than every cable company measured in the American Customer Satisfaction Index.
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#36 OFFLINE   Carl Spock

Carl Spock

Superfly

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,567 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 10:28 AM

All I am saying is the policy they have in place right now is an absolute joke because I do like DirecTV and I think they have a great product but they really need to shape up with this leasing business.

It's SimCity!
hangin' with the bros at 40 Eridani A

#37 OFFLINE   joenhre

joenhre

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 23 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 11:14 AM

Even the first HDdvr HR20 is light years ahead of Comcrap's dvr,i myself would not do that:nono:

I agree the Comcast DVRs (at least the motorolas that I've used) don't compare to Directv's HR line. A lot of that can be blamed on Comcast, because their software makes the boxes even worse than they could be.
Unless you live in an Xfinity area and plan on getting a TIVO (you will lose Comcast's ondemand access unless you also keep a comcast STB) I'd stick with Directv and the HR-23. Or do as others have suggested , get an HR-24 from an online retailer then send the HR-23 back to Directv and see if they will credit the $199.

#38 OFFLINE   Sim-X

Sim-X

Godfather

• Registered
  • 381 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 05:08 PM

The BBB ratings are worthless, but we've beat that horse enough here. You seem to bring it up a lot...Do some research.

Ironically, Directv has ranked #1 in Customer Satisfaction in J.D. Power and Associates, for 7 years in a row, DIRECTV scored higher in customer satisfaction than every cable company measured in the American Customer Satisfaction Index.

I only bring it up when people sit there and try to defend DTV & their stupid policies that make no sense at all. I never said comcast DVR was better, I'm saying when a new model came out and I wanted a new one they said ok here you go. Thanks for buying our best programming package and hsi. We would love to swap a box for you and keep you happy.

They just will give my old box to someone that doesn't care what model they get, I on the other hand do care.

I wouldn't say the BBB ratings are worthless. The BBB knows you can't make everyone happy. Are you trying to justify an "F" rating as acceptable because it's not.

All I am saying is DTV's policy on equipment is total BS and no other company I know runs such an awful operation when it comes to leasing equipment. If you think DTV has such a wonderful policy then you can keep the old models and refurbs and I'll fight a little harder for HR24's.

Look at our poor OP here, he gets lied to by a tech and now he is SOL. You guys sit there and defend dtv and dtv is the ones in the wrong here.

#39 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 05:21 PM

I only bring it up when people sit there and try to defend DTV & their stupid policies that make no sense at all. I never said comcast DVR was better, I'm saying when a new model came out and I wanted a new one they said ok here you go. Thanks for buying our best programming package and hsi. We would love to swap a box for you and keep you happy.

They just will give my old box to someone that doesn't care what model they get, I on the other hand do care.

I wouldn't say the BBB ratings are worthless. The BBB knows you can't make everyone happy. Are you trying to justify an "F" rating as acceptable because it's not.

All I am saying is DTV's policy on equipment is total BS and no other company I know runs such an awful operation when it comes to leasing equipment. If you think DTV has such a wonderful policy then you can keep the old models and refurbs and I'll fight a little harder for HR24's.

Look at our poor OP here, he gets lied to by a tech and now he is SOL. You guys sit there and defend dtv and dtv is the ones in the wrong here.

BBB ratings are both worthless and pointless. Everyone seems to be aware of that...but you. Apparently, you are not aware of what it takes to get a positive or negative rating with them. If you, or anyone else, demands to have a specific model then you have ability to go and get one. This is all very simple. You do not have the right to demand specific equipment. You do have the right to acquire specific equipment yourself. Get over it.
DTV = Digital Television

#40 OFFLINE   matt

matt

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,858 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 05:25 PM

My parents are big on the BBB, or as I call them, the UN of consumer affairs. :grin:

I just laugh when the mention it :)
Slimline 5 with SWM-16
Wireless DECA
HR34-700!
R22-200 Leased

spam firewall