Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

New Cust. Wanted HR24, Got HR23, Told can't get HR24

• Please log in to reply
107 replies to this topic

#51 OFFLINE   Carl Spock

Carl Spock

Superfly

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,567 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 06:09 PM

And all of this has what to do with getting a HR24?

Here is the thread to discuss DirecTV's rating with the Better Business Bureau.

Otherwise, how about if we get back on topic?
hangin' with the bros at 40 Eridani A

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#52 OFFLINE   Drucifer

Drucifer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,402 posts
  • LocationNY Hudson Valley

Posted 27 July 2010 - 06:31 PM

. . . .
Otherwise, I'll suck it up and go Comcrap.

More like bending over!

DREW
Do it Right, Do it Once
LR: HR34-7, Bsm: HR24-1, Den HR24-2, MB: HR24-5, Kit: H25-5
PrimeStar '95, DirecTV  '00

#53 OFFLINE   poppin_fresh

poppin_fresh

Mentor

• Registered
  • 47 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 07:00 PM

I called dtv today to talk through my lack of getting what I asked for yesterday. Needless to say I got nowhere. The csr basically said to call the installer and ask them to pull a couple 24s aside and call me when they're in. I called him and left a message. I have another install scheduled for next Tuesday, but the installer has yet to call me back.

I told them I'm not in a hurry and don't mind waiting a couple weeks if I have to for stock. I have a feeling this is an excersise in futility. We'll see.

#54 OFFLINE   devaska1

devaska1

Mentor

• Registered
  • 45 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 07:12 PM

In my case everything, I am a new customer who got a defective, refurbished HR22-100 DVR on initial install. I had nothing but problems from day one, after much work(DTV should be paying me ha) and research I asked for and received an HR24-100 which works like a gem. IMO it should be standard to give all new subs the newest equipment, not refurbished, rehashed crap. As a new customer I wouldn't expect anything less. Here is a link to the thread describing my first month with DTV. http://www.dbstalk.c...ad.php?t=181533
Thanks

And all of this has what to do with getting a HR24?

Here is the thread to discuss DirecTV's rating with the Better Business Bureau.
Otherwise, how about if we get back on topic?

I'm not sticking up for the BBB's system of ratings but, many average consumers or would be customers do rely on it as a valid source of consumer opinion and advice. Not everyone in America has tech aware friends who can help them make well informed decisions about DTV,Cable etc....
What about big companies like DTV that have great BBB ratings what are they doing that DTV is not?
As for the whole equipment thing, as a new customer I feel like i've been put through the wringer and it's only a month I've been a DTV customer. It's been a lot of work to get things sorted out so i'm semi-happy with my service. I am not so sure how the average non-DBS'er would fare with such issues. Just sayin.....

Edited by devaska1, 27 July 2010 - 08:34 PM.

#55 OFFLINE   devaska1

devaska1

Mentor

• Registered
  • 45 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 07:16 PM

I called dtv today to talk through my lack of getting what I asked for yesterday. Needless to say I got nowhere. The csr basically said to call the installer and ask them to pull a couple 24s aside and call me when they're in. I called him and left a message. I have another install scheduled for next Tuesday, but the installer has yet to call me back.

I told them I'm not in a hurry and don't mind waiting a couple weeks if I have to for stock. I have a feeling this is an excersise in futility. We'll see.

If I were you i'd hold out, or do all you can to twist your tech/installers arm to find some 24's for you. After my recent problems I think the wait might be worth it!

#56 OFFLINE   Sim-X

Sim-X

Godfather

• Registered
  • 381 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 08:02 PM

You just keep proving our point for us. Thank you for making this so easy. :D

Keep thinking that.

You know with all your guys knowledge, I'm surprised you guys don't go work for DirecTV. You could help them keep that F rating they work so hard on.

Heck you guys could even go into business together, always good to get your rating down with the BBB when starting a new company.

I heard the BBB is so ridiculous that no customer would even think to check with them before signing on with a company. Let alone a 2 year agreement.

You know what, let's give the BBB an "F" rating since they are so worthless. I'm gonna start telling our customers that the BBB is stupid and pointless. You guys would make for some great business owners. When a customer asks why your BBB rating sucks you can just tell them they are stupid. I'm sure the customer will be like you know what, your right.

#57 OFFLINE   matt

matt

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,858 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 08:05 PM

That last line is so good, it is now in my signature :D

EDIT: Well, you edited it, so I guess the first part of the last line is good.
Slimline 5 with SWM-16
Wireless DECA
HR34-700!
R22-200 Leased
Owned H25-700 and H24-700 off and packed for the move.

DIRECTV subscriber since Nov. 2009

#58 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,612 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 08:06 PM

You know what, let's give the BBB an "F" rating since they are so worthless.

Way ahead of you. Feel free to come back and continue this discussion once you have brushed up on the details.
DTV = Digital Television

#59 OFFLINE   Sim-X

Sim-X

Godfather

• Registered
  • 381 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 08:06 PM

That last line is so good, it is now in my signature :D

lol, looks great :D

#60 OFFLINE   Sim-X

Sim-X

Godfather

• Registered
  • 381 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 08:11 PM

Way ahead of you. Feel free to come back and continue this discussion once you have brushed up on the details.

Well your the mastermind here, you tell me.

#61 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,221 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 27 July 2010 - 08:16 PM

You know with all your guys knowledge, I'm surprised you guys don't go work for DirecTV. You could help them keep that F rating they work so hard on.

Heck you guys could even go into business together, always good to get your rating down with the BBB when starting a new company.

I heard the BBB is so ridiculous that no customer would even think to check with them before signing on with a company. Let alone a 2 year agreement.

You know what, let's give the BBB an "F" rating since they are so worthless. I'm gonna start telling our customers that the BBB is stupid and pointless. You guys would make for some great business owners. When a customer asks why your BBB rating sucks you can just tell them they are stupid. I'm sure the customer will be like you know what, your right.

AT&T gets slammed by tons of people. They had 8,628 complaints filed the last 36 months ..they are accredited...guess their rank. A+
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#62 OFFLINE   Sim-X

Sim-X

Godfather

• Registered
  • 381 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 08:33 PM

AT&T gets slammed by tons of people. They had 8,628 complaints filed the last 36 months ..they are accredited...guess their rank. A+

Just curious if you ever passed math class. Let's do some simple math here.

AT&T Aprox 8,600 complaints over 36 months = about 239 complaints per month on average.

DTV, almost 40,000 complaints over 36 months = about 1,100+ complaints per month.

Now go take a look at all the DBA names that AT&T does business under. Now take all those companies and figure millions upon millions of customers combined. The u-verse division alone one could only imagine how many customers they have. U-verse in case you didn't know happens to be in a similar business as directv. Now I personally don't like at&t but props to them for keeping a clean record.

So AT&T's complaint rate just happens to be about 460% lower than DirecTV with millions upon millions more customers.

You guys are right, by doing some quick math you can clearly see that AT&T must just pay off the BBB to get that A rating. Not like they actually run a square operation or handle customers complaints better than DTV.

Man you guys need to go back to elementary school and learn some math.

How does it make any sense that at&t has an A rating with way less complaints. That doesn't seem right :rolleyes: That is outrageous, the BBB is worthless!

It's not like AT&T may have actually EARNED that rating. I'm sure they just paid the BBB off, makes sense right?

#63 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,221 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 27 July 2010 - 08:36 PM

AT&T Aprox 8,600 complaints over 36 months = about 239 complaints per month on average.

DTV, almost 40,000 complaints over 36 months = about 1,100+ complaints per month.

Now go take a look at all the DBA names that AT&T does business under. Now take all those companies and figure millions upon millions of customers combined. The u-verse division alone one could only imagine how many customers they have. U-verse in case you didn't know happens to be in a similar business as directv. Now I personally don't like at&t but props to them for keeping a clean record.

So AT&T's complaint rate just happens to be about 460% lower than DirecTV with millions upon millions more customers.

You guys are right, by doing some quick math you can clearly see that AT&T must just pay off the BBB to get that A rating. Not like they actually run a square operation or handle customers complaints better than DTV.

How does it make any sense that at&t has an A rating with way less complaints. That doesn't seem right :rolleyes: That is outrageous, the BBB is worthless!

This might wake you up:

The fact that DIRECTV got an 'F' despite responding to all but a handful (<50) of the complaints is a bit suspicious.

http://www.dbstalk.c...=1&d=1273180841
Source: http://www.la.bbb.or...TV-Inc-81000357

Let's realize first that this is 39,000 complaints out of 18,000,000 subscribers or a BBB complaint rate of 0.22% .. Less thane 1/4 of 1% of DIRECTV subscribers feel a need to even talk to the BBB.

Looks like slightly more than half required adjustment either in bill or in practice while the other half found DIRECTV to be performing correctly based on contract terms.

Even if it's bad because more than 50 percent should have been "fixed," it just doesn't makes sense that it's an 'F' .. Almost every single complaint was addressed. It seems as if at a minimum it should be a 'D' because some effort was made regarding each complaint, but perhaps 'D' because folks didn't like the response that was received.

Either way, it's a nice sound bite to say that DIRECTV received an 'F' from the BBB. I just don't think it's truly representative of the companies performance. DIRECTV certainly has areas in which they need to improve. I believe they have improved over the last 3-4 years in these areas and that there is more work to be done, but this story and this rating really don't seem to be telling the whole truth.

If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#64 OFFLINE   matt

matt

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,858 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 08:38 PM

15,009 Best Buy customers who can't read, huh? Always wondered how many it was! :P
Slimline 5 with SWM-16
Wireless DECA
HR34-700!
R22-200 Leased

#65 OFFLINE   Sim-X

Sim-X

Godfather

• Registered
  • 381 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 08:39 PM

This might wake you up:

now I want you to add up all of at&t customers under the DBA list and do the same math you just showed me.

#66 OFFLINE   matt

matt

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,858 posts

What is AT&T's complaint rate?
Slimline 5 with SWM-16
Wireless DECA
HR34-700!
R22-200 Leased

#67 OFFLINE   devaska1

devaska1

Mentor

• Registered
  • 45 posts

I am sure that the BBB partly bases its ratings on how long a company has been in business and also in large part on not just the number of complaints. But the number of complaints that are resolved. That leads me to believe that there must be a ton of outstanding complaints about DTV open at the BBB. If someone has more info feel free to add. And maybe this thread out to be moved to one specific to DTV and the BBB. And here is the link to how the BBB determines it's rankings/grades. http://sandiego.bbb.org/ratingsystem/

#68 OFFLINE   Sim-X

Sim-X

Godfather

• Registered
  • 381 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 08:40 PM

15,009 Best Buy customers who can't read, huh? Always wondered how many it was! :P

Your sig looks awesome, btw :)

#69 OFFLINE   MysteryMan

MysteryMan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,083 posts
  • LocationUSA

:nono2:

#70 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,221 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

now I want you to add up all of at&t customers under the DBA list and do the same math you just showed me.

You're the math whiz.

#71 OFFLINE   devaska1

devaska1

Mentor

• Registered
  • 45 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 08:47 PM

sigma1914 beat me to the punch theres my answer mostly anyway!

#72 OFFLINE   awblackmon

awblackmon

Legend

• Registered
  • 183 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 08:54 PM

I have for a long time seen posts where people are not happy due to not getting the latest model DVR installed. I was a sub_contractor installer doing installs for DTV and we went out of the shop with whatever we had in stock that day. Often it was refurbished DVRs and I was not warmly greeted by customers when I would show up.

Now two years later I am still installing Directv, but now I do it for a retail store. If other retailers are anything like the place I am working, IF you want the latest model you should call your retailer for signing up to DTV. We don't have HR 20 or 22 or 23 anywhere on our shelves. We only install HR 24 and H24. I installed the last of the HR 23s 5 weeks ago and we only order and receive the HR24s now.

So I would suggest you call your local retail store and have their technician bring and install exactly what you want.

Notice I did not say what store I work for due to what I think may be rules against such a thing, but I do think talking about retail outlets for DTV in general should be ok. Consider it if you really want the latest gear. The sales guy should be able to have some control over sending you out the gear you want. If not, call the next retail shop and talk with them.

In the end, you are putting income into the pockets of people that live in the town you live in.

#73 OFFLINE   spartanstew

spartanstew

Dry as a bone

• Registered
  • 12,515 posts
  • LocationWylie, Texas

Posted 27 July 2010 - 08:58 PM

In my case everything, I am a new customer who got a defective, refurbished HR22-100 DVR on initial install. I had nothing but problems from day one, after much work(DTV should be paying me ha) and research I asked for and received an HR24-100 which works like a gem. IMO it should be standard to give all new subs the newest equipment, not refurbished, rehashed crap. As a new customer I wouldn't expect anything less. Here is a link to the thread describing my first month with DTV. http://www.dbstalk.c...ad.php?t=181533
Thanks

There's been customers that have received defective HR24's and there have been many customers that have received perfectly working refurbished HR22's. Getting new does not mean it will be perfect and getting a refurb does not mean it will be crap.

I'm sure Directv can't wait to get their hands on your unit.

Directv customer since 2000

#74 OFFLINE   Carl Spock

Carl Spock

Superfly

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,567 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 09:01 PM

Great post, awblackmon. :righton:

This was my solution when I joined the leased equipment world back in 2007. In addition to all the advantages mentioned in your post, I also found my local installer was priced competitively with the deal I could get by calling into DirecTV.

I took control of the situation and got exactly what I wanted when I wanted it. I didn't need to cancel any installs, get frustrated or even involve the AAA, err, the BBB.
hangin' with the bros at 40 Eridani A

#75 OFFLINE   devaska1

devaska1

Mentor

• Registered
  • 45 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 09:12 PM

I hear ya spartanstew, I'm only relaying my experience as a month old DTV customer, it's tough to have a good attitude about a company when the first thing they do is send you equipment that's refurbished and doesn't even work. All i'm saying is there's got to be some way that DTV can ensure that new customers get fully functional equipment. So far to me it seems like a crapshoot. Hey, there's a chance you might get some equipment that works, but there's also a chance you'll get a POS*** too. That doesn't inspire customers to rave about a company.

There's been customers that have received defective HR24's and there have been many customers that have received perfectly working refurbished HR22's. Getting new does not mean it will be perfect and getting a refurb does not mean it will be crap.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...