Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

5th tuner dilema...

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   jeffmacguy

jeffmacguy

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 21 posts

Posted 26 July 2010 - 01:13 PM

I would like to add a 5th tuner to my installation. I currently have a traditional slimline 5 with a 8-port multi-switch supporting 4 DVR's (HR-2x). I'm running unsupported MRV over my cat 5 home infrastructure.

Unfortunately, the room where I wish to install the 5th tuner has a single RG-6 run. My preference would be to retro-fit the legacy LNB with SWM, since all tuners are SWM capable. When I called just to request info on how the installer might accomplish this, I was told that the installer would use his discretion depending on available hardware, but that often they would add a second multi-switch and cascade from the first. This seems unnecessarily clunky/cumbersome. As I'd prefer something more eloquent, I considered biting the bullet and paying for the "supported MRV" which would require the installer to make the SWM exchange, in addition to the tuner.

It seems silly that I'd have to go to this trouble, not to mention the additional expense, just to get the additional tuner with the installation hardware I prefer.

Is there any way to avoid this?
_______
HR24 (New 7/28/2010) - Sony 46" LCD / HDMI
HR21-700 - Visio 26" LCD / HDMI
HR21-100 - Insignia 32" LCD / HDMI
HR21-700 - SONY 32" CRT / component (boat anchor)
HR20-100 - (NO TV, but available through MRV)
DirecTivo Phillips DSR7000
HR10-250
Slimline 5
(2) Zinwell-8 Multiswitch

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#2 OFFLINE   miketorse

miketorse

Icon

• Registered
  • 647 posts

Posted 26 July 2010 - 01:16 PM

You can't have a SWM LNB. An extra tuner after 4 DVR's will reach 9 (two per DVR). 8 is the max.
Mike

My system:

HR21
HR22 w/ AM21
R15
SWM-8
Slimline5 w/ no LOS to 119 Slimline3

#3 OFFLINE   dsw2112

dsw2112

Always Searching

• Registered
  • 1,936 posts

Posted 26 July 2010 - 01:17 PM

I would like to add a 5th tuner to my installation. I currently have a traditional slimline 5 with a 8-port multi-switch supporting 4 DVR's (HR-2x). I'm running unsupported MRV over my cat 5 home infrastructure.

Unfortunately, the room where I wish to install the 5th tuner has a single RG-6 run. My preference would be to retro-fit the legacy LNB with SWM, since all tuners are SWM capable. When I called just to request info on how the installer might accomplish this, I was told that the installer would use his discretion depending on available hardware, but that often they would add a second multi-switch and cascade from the first. This seems unnecessarily clunky/cumbersome. As I'd prefer something more eloquent, I considered biting the bullet and paying for the "supported MRV" which would require the installer to make the SWM exchange, in addition to the tuner.

It seems silly that I'd have to go to this trouble, not to mention the additional expense, just to get the additional tuner with the installation hardware I prefer.

Is there any way to avoid this?

What kind of box are you adding (receiver or DVR?) You currently have 8 tuners (4 DVR's @ 2 tuners each) so your next box will either be the 9th or 10th tuner. A SWMLnb will not work for you (as it only supports 8 tuners) and cascading is not an appropriate method of adding a multiswitch. The "correct" approach for anything over 8 tuners is 2 SWM8's in parallel, or a SWM16. If you go with the "whole home DVR" the ONLY correct method is a SWM16.
SL3-Slimline to SWM16 - DECA
HR34-700, HR24-500, & HR22-100

#4 OFFLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 28,929 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 26 July 2010 - 01:19 PM

If you're adding a receiver, you will have to get a new multiswitch anwyay. Since all are SWiM capable, you might end up with the SWiM-16. See if they'll cut you a break on the Whole Home Installation (with Internet) and that should definitely get you set up the right way.
DIRECTV Firmware Monitor - iPhone - Android - HTML5

DIRECTV employee since August 2011.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#5 OFFLINE   jeffmacguy

jeffmacguy

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 21 posts

Posted 26 July 2010 - 03:05 PM

Thanks for all the advice... I placed the order online for an additional tuner, and requested professional installation, which turned out to be free. The charge for the receiver (HD-DVR) was $99, which isn't too bad. I made a note in the "note to installer" space that the Zinwell 8 was maxed out and installation would require a SWM-16. Hopefully, he'll have one on the truck and save himself a return trip.

I'll update the thread with the final outcome.
_______
HR24 (New 7/28/2010) - Sony 46" LCD / HDMI
HR21-700 - Visio 26" LCD / HDMI
HR21-100 - Insignia 32" LCD / HDMI
HR21-700 - SONY 32" CRT / component (boat anchor)
HR20-100 - (NO TV, but available through MRV)
DirecTivo Phillips DSR7000
HR10-250
Slimline 5
(2) Zinwell-8 Multiswitch

#6 OFFLINE   dsw2112

dsw2112

Always Searching

• Registered
  • 1,936 posts

Posted 26 July 2010 - 03:10 PM

...I placed the order online for an additional tuner...

Just a quick semantics note, you placed an order for 2 tuners :D

Good luck!
SL3-Slimline to SWM16 - DECA
HR34-700, HR24-500, & HR22-100

Protected By... spam firewall...And...