Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Hate to be a fanboi...

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   mobandit

mobandit

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,142 posts

Posted 26 July 2010 - 01:46 PM

Had to call D* concerning a couple of billing issues...took me over 30 minutes, but everything was corrected in one call. Even got the Free HD for 24 months (which is what took the longest) for an existing customer thrown in!

Love my DirecTV!

ETCM (SS/SW), USN (RET)
22 years, 4 months, 9 days

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#2 OFFLINE   johns70

johns70

Legend

• Registered
  • 200 posts

Posted 26 July 2010 - 10:07 PM

It's not as bad as people here make it sound.

#3 OFFLINE   joed32

joed32

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,686 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 07:34 AM

If people have a problem with customer service they post and complain about it. Almost no one posts to say that things went well.

#4 OFFLINE   jdspencer

jdspencer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,585 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 09:53 AM

If people have a problem with customer service they post and complain about it. Almost no one posts to say that things went well.

This is very true.
I called last week to get the $10 credit for 2 year deal for HD access. No problem whatsoever.
DirecTV since '96, Waivers for ABC, CBS, NBC, & Fox, HR23-700 & HR24-500/AM21, using ethernet based MRV.

#5 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 32,102 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 12:55 PM

It's not as bad as people here make it sound.

We tend to hear about the exceptions/negative....as opposed to the OP here taking the time to share the positive.

Thanks to the OP, and yes....it is more common than one would think.
DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

#6 OFFLINE   ATARI

ATARI

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,876 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 02:20 PM

To the OP -- You're not a fanboi, just a satisfied customer.

Like most of us, when we're happy and satisfied with the service we are receiving, we just go about our merry way.
But when there is a problem, we need to vent, usually in a vocal, public display (such as a forum).
It's human nature -- I'm guilty of it.
So thanks for taking the time to post a positive comment.

#7 OFFLINE   mobandit

mobandit

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,142 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 02:24 PM

I truly am a satisfied customer...of course, I realize that it is just TV...but I do enjoy my TV!

ETCM (SS/SW), USN (RET)
22 years, 4 months, 9 days

#8 OFFLINE   Jazzmo

Jazzmo

AllStar

• Registered
  • 89 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 02:31 PM

I'm pretty happy. Been with them for 14 yrs straight. Called about a week ago to check why a channel was having video dropouts. Didn't know if it was my equip or thiers. It was thiers. Anyway, I was offered a dvr for free to replace a dead tivo that I owned (no contract time added :)), the hd extra pack for 6 months free (don't need to tell them to turn it off), and FREE HD for 12 months ($10 credit over a year, no need to autopay). I didn't even ask for these things. So I'm good. :)

#9 OFFLINE   crkeehn

crkeehn

Godfather

• Registered
  • 350 posts

Posted 28 July 2010 - 01:21 PM

Well, I was being a bit cranky a couple of days ago. I was smarting from the discovery that due to LOS issues I was unable to upgrade to HD service. I went to my account page on DirecTV and happened to look at the "Let Me know how you like your anniversary gift" link. I was crabby and underwhelmed by their current gift, the ever popular free PPV movie and responded that it was of absolutely no use to me.

Apparently my comment was passed up the line as I just checked my email and have been given a $10 discount for the next 12 months.

In fairness, when I have had a problem, I have been able to resolve it with Customer Service. This time, in spite of the fact that the problem was my crankiness and contrariness, CS made a real effort to provide me with a solution. I am extremely impressed with the lengths that they are willing to go to keep customers satisfied.

I will say that at no time was I unpleasant, just crabby.

#10 OFFLINE   rainydave

rainydave

AllStar

• Registered
  • 85 posts

Posted 28 July 2010 - 02:04 PM

I've been with DirecTv since Nov 2001. I've been extremely pleased with their service. I've had very minor issues with customer service. All in all, I'm a happy customer.

#11 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,274 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 28 July 2010 - 03:34 PM

Anyway, I was offered a dvr for free to replace a dead tivo that I owned (no contract time added :))

I'd double check on that. Unless you have the Protection Plan, replacing an owned receiver with a leased one will create a new commitment.

- Merg

Today's problems don't worry me, I haven't solved yesterday's yet.

SlimLine-3 Dish w/ SWM16 (HD Service / WHDVR) / Full Setup
HR34-700 / Panasonic TC-P50G25 HDTV / HDMI / Networked - DECA / Family Room
HR44-700 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

HR24-100 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

#12 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 32,102 posts

Posted 28 July 2010 - 03:36 PM

I'd double check on that. Unless you have the Protection Plan, replacing an owned receiver with a leased one will create a new commitment.

- Merg

You are correct.

#13 OFFLINE   ATARI

ATARI

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,876 posts

Posted 29 July 2010 - 07:14 AM

You are correct.

Apparently not so with a TiVo replacement.

When I replaced my dead SD TiVo a couple months ago, two separate CSRs mentioned to me (unprompted) that the replacement would not add to the commitment period.

YMMV

#14 OFFLINE   lee78221

lee78221

Godfather

• Registered
  • 251 posts

Posted 29 July 2010 - 07:59 AM

I'm not a Fanboi, I'm am Fan Man! :)

#15 OFFLINE   Hutchinshouse

Hutchinshouse

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,632 posts

Posted 29 July 2010 - 08:09 AM

Can we close this thread? Too much harmony and pleasantries going on. :lol:

Just joking. Since I got my channel in HD, I’ve been very happy with DIRECTV.

Getting my fair share of discounts and free-bees too. I’m a "penciled in" fanboy. More national HD will ink it. ;)

#16 OFFLINE   hasan

hasan

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,906 posts
  • LocationOgden, IA

Posted 29 July 2010 - 10:47 AM

There are a ton of customers who are pleased with the service, and not represented here. There are quite a few users who are very pleased with their service and don't post those opinions here.

This is a watering hole for a narrow group of people with active interest in the technology and programming offered by D*, as well as a place to raise issues and have them responded to. As such, the "I'm happy" camp (put me in it), is grossly under-represented...and given the purpose of these forums, that's how it should be.

No other resource anywhere helps people (in the consumer electronics domain) to the extent that we see here. People who are largely satisfied, don't need our help much, so a thread like this isn't all that attractive (in terms of # of posts or even views, for that matter.)

I'm glad someone took the time. I'm no fan boy, but I know a good service when I see it. There is a lot of work to be done, and much has been accomplished with the CE program. I'm good with that.:)

...hasan, N0AN

SlimLine5-SWiMLNB/DECA/WHDVR
HR44-700, WD20EURX 2 TB eSATA/ThermalTake Max 5 Enclosure

HR24-200, WD20EVDS 2 TB eSATA/ThermalTake Dock

HR24-200, H21-200. Samsung UN60C6400 60" LED/LCD

DirecTV since 1995

#17 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 32,102 posts

Posted 29 July 2010 - 11:12 AM

Apparently not so with a TiVo replacement.

When I replaced my dead SD TiVo a couple months ago, two separate CSRs mentioned to me (unprompted) that the replacement would not add to the commitment period.

YMMV

The same would hold true for any other obsolete SD-based hardware they have offered in the past. Replacements would have to come from newer hardware. I have not located anything that has a "statue of limitations" on Protection Plan owned hardware longevity, only that it will be replaced by working replacement equipment - no impact to one's commitment.

#18 OFFLINE   johns70

johns70

Legend

• Registered
  • 200 posts

Posted 30 July 2010 - 12:13 AM

I've had a few bad experiences but nothing bad enough to make me come here and vent like some do. Everyone is bound to get a bad CSR, or have a not so great install once in a while.

Certain people don't get a free HD DVR upgrade and they post it here and act like DIRECTV is the worst company in the world. :rolleyes:

Protected By... spam firewall...And...