Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Returning Equipment - Told I will pay $15 for return shipping label

• Please log in to reply
104 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Guitar1969

Guitar1969

Legend

• Registered
  • 117 posts

Posted 26 July 2010 - 05:06 PM

I just cancelled Dish - Went to a HTPC with OTA HD and streaming. Not as simple as Dish but no monthly cost anymore.

I read other posts on the return process but didn't get a difinitive answer on return charges.

After convincing the rep I am not going to return the LNB because its 2 stories up, they waived that requirement, but I was told the return box will have a shipping label that I can use which I will be billed $15, or I could ship it my own way at my own cost. Also told I have 30 days to return the equipment.

I just wanted to make sure this was consistant with others experience.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Dave

Dave

Icon

• Registered
  • 864 posts

Posted 26 July 2010 - 05:51 PM

No this is not right. They should not be charging you a return shipping charge. Call again and get another CSR to confirm this for you.

#3 ONLINE   lparsons21

lparsons21

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,272 posts
  • LocationHerrin, IL

Posted 26 July 2010 - 05:57 PM

It is a fairly recent change that came in with all the rest of the fees being raised.

A few more and we can start calling is FeeNetwork!

Lloyd
Receiver : DirecTV Genie HR44-700, Dish Hopper w/Sling & Super Joey
HDTV : Mitsi WD-73742 73" 3D DLP
Surround: Denon AVR-2113ci 7.1 Setup

#4 OFFLINE   Slamminc11

Slamminc11

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,325 posts

Posted 26 July 2010 - 07:34 PM

No this is not right. They should not be charging you a return shipping charge. Call again and get another CSR to confirm this for you.

Wrong.
Dish started this back at the beginning of the last quarter. You will be charged to return the equipment. Either pay it now, or it will be tacked on to your account and you will owe it in order to clear your account. Either way, you get to pay.

#5 OFFLINE   4HiMarks

4HiMarks

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,309 posts
  • LocationLaurel, MD

Posted 27 July 2010 - 08:56 AM

That seems wrong. I'm not sure it's even legal. How can we be obligated to pay to return THEIR equipment to them? If someone tried to do that to me, I would tell them "It's right here. You sent someone to install it, you can send someone to pick it up."
Dish subscriber since 2000, HD since 2004.

#6 OFFLINE   finniganps

finniganps

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,517 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 09:04 AM

Those are the terms of the agreement. If people don't like it they should vote with their feet - I'm not signing up for Dish because they charge you to return THEIR equipment. You don't have to like it (I don't). I think it's foolish because this will be in this former subscribers mind for years from now if someone asks them if they'd consider going back to Dish....they won't.

#7 OFFLINE   jgoggan

jgoggan

Hall Of Fame/Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 1,319 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 09:13 AM

Why are people so surprised to be charged to return rental equipment? If you walk into the local Rent-A-Center and rent a laptop, besides being an idiot for paying those monthly charges, you would still certainly be expected to RETURN it when you were done renting it. You could NOT just tell them "Well, it's sitting here in my living room and I'm done with it -- come and get it."

Also, the "you sent someone to install it, send someone to pick it up" thing really doesn't work. What they installed was the dish -- and you generally do NOT have to return those. Receivers might have come with an installer -- but probably only because they were also installing the dish. Receivers can be shipped pretty easily -- and often are -- so, again, they can be shipped back.

Just seems weird to me that people are so surprised to have to pay to send back something that you are leasing. You would have to do that with almost any other lease also.

- John...

#8 OFFLINE   tsmacro

tsmacro

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,131 posts
  • LocationEast Central Indiana

Posted 27 July 2010 - 09:24 AM

Don't you get free shipping if you have the service plan? Plus any cable company I've ever known makes you return their boxes to them on your own dime. Granted it's usually done by hopping in the car and using your time and gas to bring it to wherever their office is and not via mailing boxes. I have to wonder if this is going to end up costing them more money in the end as it may encourage some people just not to return their equipment at all. Will the $15 fees make them more $$$ than lost equipment not being returned? I guess we'll find out, if they maintain this policy then the answer is probably yes, if they change it then it wasn't worth it obviously.

"The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair." - Douglas Adams

"Who would rule a nation when he could have easier work, such as carrying water uphill in a sieve?" - Robert Jordan

#9 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,211 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 10:33 AM

I have to wonder if this is going to end up costing them more money in the end as it may encourage some people just not to return their equipment at all. Will the $15 fees make them more $$$ than lost equipment not being returned?

Leased equipment not returned can lead to hundreds of dollars charged to the customer canceling. It is DISH's property, send it back ... and be glad that they are meeting you half way by sending a box to return the receiver.

5. B. Return of Leased Equipment. Upon cancellation or disconnection of your Services, you must contact our customer service center or call the telephone number set forth in any applicable Promotion Agreement to schedule the return of your leased Equipment. If you do not return such Equipment undamaged and in working order, normal wear and tear excepted, you are responsible and must pay us certain charges as described in any applicable Promotion Agreement.

http://www.dishnetwo...s/legal/RCA.pdf

Unreturned Equipment Charges: The receiver(s), smart card(s), remote control(s), and LNBFs provided to you under this Agreement are leased and remain the property of DISHat all times. You agree that you will return all such equipment in accordance with the “Equipment Return” section below within 30 days following downgrade or disconnection of service, and if you do not, DISH will charge the following “Unreturned Equipment Charges” to your Qualifying Card, as applicable: LNBF, $50; all standard-definition receivers (301, 311, 322, 381, 512, 522, 625), $100; high-definition (HD) non-DVR receiver (211,211k, 222, 222k, 411), $200; HD DVR receiver (612, 622, 722, 722k), $300; and SlingLoaded™ DVR receiver (922), $400. If your account is involuntarily deactivated for failure to pay your bill or otherwise, DISH will charge the applicable Unreturned Equipment Charge(s) to your Qualifying Card within 72 hours following deactivation. If you return such equipment in accordance with this Agreement, such Unreturned Equipment Charge(s) will be refunded upon DISH’s receipt of the applicable equipment.

Equipment Return: You may use the equipment provided under this plan only while you remain an active customer in good standing and in compliance with this Agreement. You must return all such equipment in good operating condition, normal wear and tear excepted, within 30 days following downgrade or disconnection. If you acquired your equipment directly from DISH, you must call DISH at 800-894-9131 immediately after your downgrade or disconnection to receive a return authorization number and delivery instructions for return of your equipment. If you acquired your equipment from a retailer, you must return all such equipment to: (A) your original retailer, if such downgrade or disconnection occurs during the first 180 days following your initial activation of programming; or (B) DISH, if such downgrade or disconnection occurs after such 180-day period. You are responsible for and shall bear all costs and expenses of returning such equipment. A $15.00 charge will apply if you use a pre-paid label and empty box provided by DISH in returning your equipment; this charge is subject to change at any time.

http://www.dishnetwo...A_Agreement.pdf

#10 ONLINE   lparsons21

lparsons21

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,272 posts
  • LocationHerrin, IL

Posted 27 July 2010 - 11:04 AM

Thanks for quoting the 'ever changing at their whim' terms of service.

Lloyd

#11 OFFLINE   Dave

Dave

Icon

• Registered
  • 864 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 12:18 PM

Actually if you have been a customer before the Feb. terms go into effect you should not have to pay. Dish can not change your contract on a whim like this.
I would call the state attorney generals office and ask them about this.If you signed a contract for service 2 years ago, they (Dish) can not change said contract without you agreeing to it and signing it. This would be a lawsuit waiting to happen. I can only see them enforcing this on any new customers after the February changes in services for new customers. Perhaps someone will bring to there lawyer to file a complaint in court.

#12 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,211 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 12:22 PM

Actually if you have been a customer before the Feb. terms go into effect you should not have to pay. Dish can not change your contract on a whim like this.

The key is finding your contract ... and hoping the line "this charge is subject to change at any time" is not in it.

#13 OFFLINE   RandallA

RandallA

Legend

• Registered
  • 244 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 12:24 PM

I canceled Dish after many years with them and got hit with the $15 per receiver just to send THEIR equipment back.

#14 ONLINE   lparsons21

lparsons21

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,272 posts
  • LocationHerrin, IL

Posted 27 July 2010 - 12:28 PM

The key is finding your contract ... and hoping the line "this charge is subject to change at any time" is not in it.

Every contract that I've seen from dish has a line in it that says they can change any and all terms of the contract. I don't agree with it but that's the way it is.

Lloyd

#15 OFFLINE   Guitar1969

Guitar1969

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 117 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 12:30 PM

Actually I have been with them over 4 years on this go round(Went to D* for a short stint), so I'm sure it wasn't in my initial terms and contract. Not sure if I am going to fight them over $15.
What's really starting to frustrate me is I remember having to pay $199 as a lease upgrade fee to get the VIP622, and that was when it first came out and had numerous issues(heating - I still have it on little rubber stilts to help with airflow). I think back then I thought I was actually buying the equipment for $199, but I guess not.

I started with Dish back in 1996, when it was a great alternative to cable costwise, but let's face it, any advantages satellite had over cable costwise are long gone.

I have moved to a HTPC with Win7 Media Center with OTA antenna for networks, and I can tell you if you like tinkering and such(and it does require that) it is a pretty good alternative - it has its shortcomings, but the content is much greater. It requires a different mindset - start moving away from time based shows.

#16 OFFLINE   matt

matt

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,858 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 12:55 PM

Sometimes it's just worth $15 to get some people out of your life... ship it off and never look back
Slimline 5 with SWM-16
Wireless DECA
HR34-700!
R22-200 Leased
Owned H25-700 and H24-700 off and packed for the move.

DIRECTV subscriber since Nov. 2009

#17 OFFLINE   tsmacro

tsmacro

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,131 posts
  • LocationEast Central Indiana

Posted 27 July 2010 - 01:43 PM

Leased equipment not returned can lead to hundreds of dollars charged to the customer canceling. It is DISH's property, send it back ... and be glad that they are meeting you half way by sending a box to return the receiver.

Yes I fully understand this and myself don't understand why anyone wouldn't send the receivers back, however I also know there's people out there who just don't really give a darn and don't return their equipment anyway. So I was wondering if by charging to return them they might increase the number of people who don't return their receivers. Yes I know all about the fees (I've worked different jobs selling Dish for over 7 years now) but i'm surprised how many people i've talked to that it doesn't act as any kind of deterrent to. There's a whole segment of society out there that just don't seem to care about their credit scores, how much they owe and can't be made to care if Dish is going to try to charge them for their equipment and they can't be bothered to return anything if it means they have to make any kind of effort. Any number of times i've heard people say things along the lines of "I don't care, you'll never get a penny out of me". Maybe the new $15 fee is meant to help recoup the cost of people who are like that? Maybe they don't think the fee will act as a deterrent to responsible people and that people who won't pay it probably weren't going to return the equipment anyway? I don't know, I was just wondering. I'm sure Dish will figure out which way works best for their bottom line in any case.

"The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair." - Douglas Adams

"Who would rule a nation when he could have easier work, such as carrying water uphill in a sieve?" - Robert Jordan

#18 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,211 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 01:59 PM

So I was wondering if by charging to return them they might increase the number of people who don't return their receivers. Yes I know all about the fees (I've worked different jobs selling Dish for over 7 years now) but i'm surprised how many people i've talked to that it doesn't act as any kind of deterrent to. There's a whole segment of society out there that just don't seem to care about their credit scores, how much they owe and can't be made to care if Dish is going to try to charge them for their equipment and they can't be bothered to return anything if it means they have to make any kind of effort. Any number of times i've heard people say things along the lines of "I don't care, you'll never get a penny out of me". Maybe the new $15 fee is meant to help recoup the cost of people who are like that?

I guess I'm not following. The $15 fee would be for people who DO the right thing and return their receivers (and if they can find a cheaper way to ship it they can cut something off of that $15). Higher fees would be charged if they don't return the receiver ($100 and up). Are you suggesting that by charging $15 for use of a shipping label DISH will convince people to give up $100-$400 per receiver by not returning the equipment?

I suppose if someone is the proverbial stone that one cannot get blood out of $15 would be just as hard to collect as $400. Maybe I'm just too smart for the question but I wouldn't protest a $15 charge by setting myself up for a $100-$400 charge.

#19 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,424 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 27 July 2010 - 02:13 PM

This is a recent change, no doubt economy-driven... and I don't like it... BUT

While I can argue that returning the equipment should be free... I can't argue that original receipt of the equipment should be free... and they don't charge you to ship the receiver to you in the first place.

Arguably, they should charge you to send you the equipment instead of giving free receivers in the first place... and since they don't do that, it'd be hard for me to argue on the back-end about paying to send them back.

Again, I'm not saying I like it... but I kind of understand it.

Also... other companies charge for such things if you don't bring them back in to a return-location yourself... I expect folks who live near a main Dish warehouse might get an option to hand-carry the receiver back.

-- I like to go fast (not really)

#20 OFFLINE   DJ Lon

DJ Lon

Legend

• Registered
  • 260 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 02:46 PM

I just cancelled Dish - Went to a HTPC with OTA HD and streaming. Not as simple as Dish but no monthly cost anymore.

I read other posts on the return process but didn't get a difinitive answer on return charges.

After convincing the rep I am not going to return the LNB because its 2 stories up, they waived that requirement, but I was told the return box will have a shipping label that I can use which I will be billed $15, or I could ship it my own way at my own cost. Also told I have 30 days to return the equipment.

I just wanted to make sure this was consistant with others experience.

Yes, I experienced this as well. I told the CSR, "if you want the LNB you can come here and climb on the roof & get it yourself." She waived that requirement but I asked to speak to a supervisor about the $15 and he waived that as well so my account is now closed.

Dish Network sub 4/2005-7/2010 · DirecTV sub 7/2010-present · HR34/700 (on 5th replacement, 2014),
HR24/500 (orig install, 2010), HR24/100 (equip upgr, 2011), HR24/100 (equip upgr, 2014) · Yes, 11 tuners! biggrin.gif

spam firewall