Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Returning Equipment - Told I will pay $15 for return shipping label

• Please log in to reply
104 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   tsmacro

tsmacro

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,151 posts
  • LocationEast Central Indiana

Posted 27 July 2010 - 03:16 PM

I guess I'm not following. The $15 fee would be for people who DO the right thing and return their receivers (and if they can find a cheaper way to ship it they can cut something off of that $15). Higher fees would be charged if they don't return the receiver ($100 and up). Are you suggesting that by charging $15 for use of a shipping label DISH will convince people to give up $100-$400 per receiver by not returning the equipment?

I suppose if someone is the proverbial stone that one cannot get blood out of $15 would be just as hard to collect as $400. Maybe I'm just too smart for the question but I wouldn't protest a $15 charge by setting myself up for a $100-$400 charge.

What i'm saying is there are people who just don't return their equipment whether there's a fee or not. Maybe this fee helps make up for that loss of equipment? Yes that means us honest people are subsidizing those who aren't. But what else is new? Such is life. I was also asking if by charging this fee might increase the number of people who don't return receivers just as a FU to Dish? Probably not by any great number i'd imagine but there will be some. Does it makes sense to those of us that think rationally? No, but i've been doing this long enough to realize that there's quite a number of people out there that don't and I talk to them every day!

"The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair." - Douglas Adams

"Who would rule a nation when he could have easier work, such as carrying water uphill in a sieve?" - Robert Jordan

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   normang

normang

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,012 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 04:48 PM

Wow. find me a product that you bought or leased that you decide to return to a vendor that's free?

I suspect that most any place you purchase something and you decide for whatever reason you don't want it, particularly over the internet, its going to cost you something to return it, if nothing else, there might be a re-stocking fee.

The $15 for a receiver, might be a touch high, but with insurance, might even cost you more to ship it yourself these days.
Norm

#23 OFFLINE   matt

matt

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,858 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 05:06 PM

The $15 for a receiver, might be a touch high, but with insurance, might even cost you more to ship it yourself these days.

You might want to consider FedEx for your shipping needs if these are the kind of prices your pay for shipping. I have sent receivers all over the place with insurance for about $12.
Slimline 5 with SWM-16
Wireless DECA
HR34-700!
R22-200 Leased
Owned H25-700 and H24-700 off and packed for the move.

DIRECTV subscriber since Nov. 2009

#24 OFFLINE   Dave

Dave

Icon

• Registered
  • 864 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 07:33 PM

I would still let the state attorney generals office know that Dishnetwork is changing your contract without you signing any papers or a new contract authorizing these changes. Any and all states will look into your complaint. It is against state law to just change any contract without offering the customer a out first. My contract says nothing about me having to pay Dish to send them back there box. If they are going to charge you, then please let the state know of this change of service. Perhaps it will catch up with them as it did with cell phone companies. Even if it states in the current contract that they can change when they want to, it still is not legal in most states. Who knows may be a class action waiting to happen. As I stated it would have to be a new contract signed by you the individual authorizing said to be legal.

#25 ONLINE   Nick

Nick

Keep going - don't give up!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,243 posts
  • LocationThe Beautiful Golden Isles of Coastal Georgia

Posted 27 July 2010 - 07:53 PM

Reading this thread arguing over an insignificant $15 return fee is 15 minutes of my life I'll never get back! :nono2:

Edited by Nick, 12 August 2010 - 07:04 AM.

~ 12 Year Anniversary Month ~
Charter Gold Club Member
DBSTalk Club ~ 21k Club
Top 10 Poster

#26 OFFLINE   Slamminc11

Slamminc11

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,327 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 08:07 PM

I would still let the state attorney generals office know that Dishnetwork is changing your contract without you signing any papers or a new contract authorizing these changes. Any and all states will look into your complaint. It is against state law to just change any contract without offering the customer a out first. My contract says nothing about me having to pay Dish to send them back there box. If they are going to charge you, then please let the state know of this change of service. Perhaps it will catch up with them as it did with cell phone companies. Even if it states in the current contract that they can change when they want to, it still is not legal in most states. Who knows may be a class action waiting to happen. As I stated it would have to be a new contract signed by you the individual authorizing said to be legal.

yeah, good luck with that!

#27 OFFLINE   TulsaOK

TulsaOK

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,469 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 09:02 PM

Reading this thread arguing over an insignificant $15 return fee is 15 minutes of my life I'll never get back! :nono2:

I was thinking the same thing myself.
<span style='font-size: 10px;'>“Life is hard; it's harder if you're stupid.”<br /> - John Wayne</span><br /><br />Avatar: Tanner 1992 - 2009

#28 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,514 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 09:31 PM

What i'm saying is there are people who just don't return their equipment whether there's a fee or not. Maybe this fee helps make up for that loss of equipment?

Charging the people who don't return equipment $100-$400 should make up for the unreturned equipment.

In any case ... I see it as a nice way of taking one more step out of the hassle of returning equipment. I might be able to get it shipped for under $15 ... but as I don't ship stuff that often from home (read: never) I don't have the supplies so it would be take it to work and use supplies there for FedEx/UPS or go to a store with a FedEx/UPS counter or some other hassle. Send me a box with a label that costs me $15 to use and I probably won't care that I could have shipped it myself for $12 plus the extra hassle.

This isn't a "because we can" fee like many of the fees out there ... this is a specific pass through of a cost that a particular customer has generated. The customer is free to use any other shipper who can get the receiver to its destination.

If DISH didn't charge the departing customer the $15 (should they choose to use the label) they would just have to pass the charge on to the other 14 million loyal customers who have not left them.

#29 OFFLINE   matt

matt

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,858 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 10:51 PM

If DISH didn't charge the departing customer the $15 (should they choose to use the label) they would just have to pass the charge on to the other 14 million loyal customers who have not left them.

by putting it in the monthly receiver fee! Oh wait, they did both! :grin:
Slimline 5 with SWM-16
Wireless DECA
HR34-700!
R22-200 Leased
Owned H25-700 and H24-700 off and packed for the move.

DIRECTV subscriber since Nov. 2009

#30 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,505 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 27 July 2010 - 11:20 PM

by putting it in the monthly receiver fee! Oh wait, they did both! :grin:

Yeah... if I look at it that way... the increased monthly cost now of additional receivers should pay for the return costs as long as the customer stays at least a couple of months!

-- I like to go fast (not really)

#31 OFFLINE   tsmacro

tsmacro

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,151 posts
  • LocationEast Central Indiana

Posted 28 July 2010 - 08:29 AM

Charging the people who don't return equipment $100-$400 should make up for the unreturned equipment.

I suppose it would if you actually collected it. The problem being the kind of people who don't return their equipment are usually the same ones who won't pay the non-return fee. Of course these are also the people that will try to come back to Dish five years later and their old account has been charged off and of course they don't qualify for the new promotion if they're lucky Dish will let them subscribe by purchasing their own equipment and paying full price for installation, but i've seen cases where they won't let a person come back even doing that. Of course these are also the same people who can't understand just because they had an "old bill from a few years back" with Dish why they won't let them come back. After all back then it was all their ex-wives fault or the house burned down or some other similar tragedy and surely now after a few years the slate has been wiped clean and they qualify for a free re-do. :rolleyes:

"The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair." - Douglas Adams

"Who would rule a nation when he could have easier work, such as carrying water uphill in a sieve?" - Robert Jordan

#32 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,514 posts

Posted 28 July 2010 - 09:21 AM

I suppose it would if you actually collected it. The problem being the kind of people who don't return their equipment are usually the same ones who won't pay the non-return fee. Of course these are also the people that will try to come back to Dish five years later and their old account has been charged off ...

You're lucky if they don't try to come back in three months and get DISH to pay their ETF at whatever provider they are leaving (plus new equipment and a dish since the old one somehow is missing/damaged).

At least they are charging the right class of people ... leavers ... and if those leavers don't like a $15 shipping charge they can shop their own shipping (as noted in previous posts).

#33 OFFLINE   Jhon69

Jhon69

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,637 posts

Posted 29 July 2010 - 07:35 PM

So if I don't return my 625 Dish will charge me $100?.SOLD!.:grin:

#34 OFFLINE   puckwithahalo

puckwithahalo

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,286 posts

Posted 30 July 2010 - 10:03 PM

Um...no terms were changed. The residential customer agreement has always just said the equipment had to be returned. Never said anything about E* agreeing to cover return costs. For years however, they did. Now they've decided not to.
The postings on this site are my own and don't represent Dish's positions, strategies, or opinions.

-Puck

#35 OFFLINE   coldsteel

coldsteel

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,984 posts

Posted 01 August 2010 - 03:50 AM

So if I don't return my 625 Dish will charge me $100?.SOLD!.:grin:

Except it'll still be considered a leased receiver; so if you sell it, it will be worthless to the buyer.
DISH 625 dvr

The opinions posted on this site are my own and do not represent DISH Network's positions, strategies or opinions. Unless I decide to be bad or call out an idiot...

#36 OFFLINE   puckwithahalo

puckwithahalo

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,286 posts

Posted 01 August 2010 - 08:34 AM

Except it'll still be considered a leased receiver; so if you sell it, it will be worthless to the buyer.

Also, $100 is the minimum, charged for things like 301's and 311's. A 625 would be more. Probably $200 - $250. Can't remember exactly.
The postings on this site are my own and don't represent Dish's positions, strategies, or opinions.

-Puck

#37 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,514 posts

Posted 01 August 2010 - 12:50 PM

Also, $100 is the minimum, charged for things like 301's and 311's. A 625 would be more. Probably $200 - $250. Can't remember exactly.

You don't have to remember. The contracts are on DISH's website and quoted in a post above:

DISH will charge the following “Unreturned Equipment Charges” to your Qualifying Card, as applicable: LNBF, $50; all standard-definition receivers (301, 311, 322, 381, 512, 522, 625), $100; high-definition (HD) non-DVR receiver (211,211k, 222, 222k, 411), $200; HD DVR receiver (612, 622, 722, 722k), $300; and SlingLoaded™ DVR receiver (922), $400.

#38 OFFLINE   habsfan66

habsfan66

AllStar

• Registered
  • 74 posts

Posted 02 August 2010 - 12:51 PM

Wrong.
Dish started this back at the beginning of the last quarter. You will be charged to return the equipment. Either pay it now, or it will be tacked on to your account and you will owe it in order to clear your account. Either way, you get to pay.

Anybody know if the $15 fee applies if you're only downgrading service, not quitting Dish completely?

#39 OFFLINE   scooper

scooper

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,726 posts
  • LocationYoungsville NC

Posted 02 August 2010 - 01:06 PM

$5 to downgrade programming, except more for adult and maybe more for some other packages.
You CAN put antennas on your owned and/or controlled property...

http://www.fcc.gov/mb/facts/otard.html

#40 OFFLINE   Jim5506

Jim5506

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,454 posts

Posted 02 August 2010 - 02:41 PM

The $15 fee is for the return label to send your leased receivers back, it has NOTHING to do with programming, except that of course you have cancelled everything.
Tuners: Hopper 2000; Hopper w/Sling; 3 Joeys; Samsung SIR-T351; Accurian 6000;2 X HD TiVo; 2 X TiVo Series 2 Stand alone; Panasonic Showstopper 2000
Dish 1000.2 @ 110, 119, 129; dish 500 @ 61.5
Antennas - CM4228; RS U75-R; coathanger; Funke PSP.1922 (stillin the box); paperclip
Displays: Sony VPH D50Q with HD Fury HDMI input; Hitachi 57F59; Sony Bravia LCD;Sanyo 32" LCD; Panasonic 42" plasma
Sony 80GB PS3; Toshiba HD-DVD

Give me a Finco colinear array and I'll rule the world - HA-HA-HA-HA!

spam firewall