Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Returning Equipment - Told I will pay $15 for return shipping label

• Please log in to reply
104 replies to this topic

#61 OFFLINE   cloudy

cloudy

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 29 posts

Posted 15 August 2010 - 05:32 PM

They can have my $15, but they are not convincing me to get up on my roof to get their LNB back. Unless the D* installer rips it down for me, and if it will fit into the receiver box.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#62 OFFLINE   matt

matt

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,858 posts

Posted 15 August 2010 - 05:42 PM

They can have my $15, but they are not convincing me to get up on my roof to get their LNB back. Unless the D* installer rips it down for me, and if it will fit into the receiver box.

If you send back multiple LNBs, do you start getting multiple helpings of $50 refunds? :)
Slimline 5 with SWM-16
Wireless DECA
HR34-700!
R22-200 Leased
Owned H25-700 and H24-700 off and packed for the move.

DIRECTV subscriber since Nov. 2009

#63 OFFLINE   kmfdm515

kmfdm515

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 15 posts

Posted 25 October 2010 - 06:53 AM

bumping this thread as it is now relevant to my interests :(

so...any way to avoid paying the full $45 to return 3 DVRs?

I told the CSR that i wanted one box for all 3 to avoid paying 3 separate shipping charges. He said fine. Sure enough, 3 separate boxes and labels come anyway.

i may take one of the 3 boxes they sent me with all 3 DVRs in it and see how much fedex would charge me to ship that...since i assume i won't be able to just slap the shipping label provided on a box that is now 3x the weight.

#64 OFFLINE   matt

matt

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,858 posts

Posted 25 October 2010 - 07:53 AM

I think the consensus was to not say anything about canceling and return two boxes, which they would pay for, then cancel and only have to pay to return one.
Slimline 5 with SWM-16
Wireless DECA
HR34-700!
R22-200 Leased
Owned H25-700 and H24-700 off and packed for the move.

DIRECTV subscriber since Nov. 2009

#65 OFFLINE   EW800

EW800

AllStar

• Registered
  • 62 posts

Posted 25 October 2010 - 01:22 PM

When I called to cancel Dish, I was told that it would be $15 total to return my two boxes and four remotes. It will be interesting to see if that is really the case or if I will end up getting charged $30.

It was sure "interesting" trying to cancel with Dish. They transferred me to someone that I guess was higher up the food chain, who did everything short of driving over here to house to keep me from canceling. She offered free movie packages - I did not budge. She offered monthly discounts - I did not budge. Then she tried the approach of slamming DirecTV, telling me that DirecTV has an "F" rating with the BBB, are unethical and all that stuff. I still did not budge. I get the feeling the cancellations are alive and well at Dish!

#66 OFFLINE   SaltiDawg

SaltiDawg

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,375 posts

Posted 25 October 2010 - 02:10 PM

It was sure "interesting" trying to cancel with Dish. They transferred me to someone that I guess was higher up the food chain, who did everything short of driving over here to house to keep me from canceling. ...

This is certainly not an approach unique to Dish.

#67 OFFLINE   TBoneit

TBoneit

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,267 posts

Posted 25 October 2010 - 02:49 PM

Just canceled as was also a little surprised by the fee. Wonder how they are going to charge me? My receiver is 5 or 6 years old at least and they have no credit card on file for me.

Old topic I know.

The only way they wouldn't have you credit card and/or checking account number is if you have always paid by Money order or cash.

DirecTV is well known to keep every credit card number ever used to pay on file and ding them if need be for a ETF. They've even done it to people that never had an account and only made a payment for a friend one time.
Remember when your kids were the TV set's remote control?

#68 OFFLINE   dclaryjr

dclaryjr

Godfather

• Registered
  • 387 posts

Posted 26 October 2010 - 08:47 PM

They sent me three boxes but I got everything into two--three receivers, two LNBs, and four remotes. I had a credit coming that was around $30, so it should be pretty close to a wash.
Dave Clary/Corpus Christi, TX
http://davidclary.com
HR24-200
HR21-100
H-23 x 2
JVC 56FN70 1080P LCOS
37" 1080P Sharp Aquos)
Two old TVs to be replaced with HD by end of year
Overpriced AV with psuedo-surround

#69 OFFLINE   grog

grog

Godfather

• Registered
  • 396 posts

Posted 26 October 2010 - 09:34 PM

When I called Dish to cancel the first thing I said was the Dish was no longer on the roof. At that point they saw no need to talk me into staying.

This is what Dish sends when you choose to disconnect.

Posted Image

I left Dish on good terms.
Philips 47" 1080p LCD HDTV 47pfl7422d/37
Philips 42" 1080p LCD HDTV 42pfl3704D
Magnavox 32" 720p LCD HDTV 32MF338B/27
Magnavox 720p 19" LCD
2x DIRECTV Plus® HD DVR (HR24-200 with 1TB ESATA via Thermaltake BlacX external dock), 2x DIRECTV® HD Receiver (H24-200), 1 DIRECTV® Slimline Dish, MRV with Deca CINEMAplus

#70 OFFLINE   Michael1

Michael1

Legend

• Registered
  • 132 posts

Posted 26 November 2010 - 05:56 PM

"A $15.00 charge will apply if you use a pre-paid label and empty box provided by DISH in returning your equipment; this charge is subject to change at any time."

$15 for a shipping box and pre-paid shipping label seems VERY reasonable. I do a lot of shipping in my business. Has anyone priced UPS shipping with insurance lately? That alone is almost $15. Then they provide the box, which costs them money to ship to you, as well as, the box itself with padding. Also if it gets damaged in shipping, they can't come back to you, because it was packaged improperly.

I really don't see what anyone has to complain about. I wish I could ship everything I need to for $15.

Michael

#71 OFFLINE   rencan

rencan

• Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 02 December 2010 - 12:03 PM

I purchased my equipment throught AT and T 4.5 years ago, it was a bundle deal with the telco who partnered with Dish. They pissed off my wife on the phone yesterday and she cancelled service. Now they are saying they own equipment and i will need to pay for shipping.
Trying to convince my wife to call them back since acct is hers; not sure if i want to switch to Direct.

#72 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,214 posts

Posted 02 December 2010 - 01:05 PM

:welcome_s

I purchased my equipment throught AT and T 4.5 years ago, it was a bundle deal with the telco who partnered with Dish. They pissed off my wife on the phone yesterday and she cancelled service. Now they are saying they own equipment and i will need to pay for shipping.
Trying to convince my wife to call them back since acct is hers; not sure if i want to switch to Direct.

Her account, her cancellation? She can pay for shipping. :)

She needs to read her contracts. She'll find the equipment is leased and if she does not return the receiver(s) she will be paying a hefty fee (and the receivers will still not be resalable - so it isn't a case of paying DISH's non return fee then making up the loss on eBay).

#73 OFFLINE   victory1

victory1

• Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 02 December 2010 - 07:06 PM

The OP is right they do charge. I just canceled yesterday and was told the same thing.

#74 OFFLINE   SaltiDawg

SaltiDawg

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,375 posts

Posted 02 December 2010 - 07:31 PM

The OP is right they do charge. I just canceled yesterday and was told the same thing.

Every single poster has agreed, but thanks.

#75 OFFLINE   eudoxia

eudoxia

AllStar

• Registered
  • 80 posts

Posted 03 December 2010 - 11:41 AM

Glad I read this thread.

Good to know what I'm in store for when I FIRE Dish.

Panasonic Viera VT-50
Denon AVR-3805
PS3 w/DNS-323 as Home Media Server

#76 OFFLINE   Kagato

Kagato

Godfather

• Registered
  • 412 posts

Posted 08 December 2010 - 10:54 AM

I might be canceling soon after over 11 years as a customer. I'm just not seeing anything that competes with DirecTV Multi-Room (I want three HD and a consolidated view of 4 tuners worth of content). I really like the interface Dish has for the DVR, but I'm just tired of waiting for vaporware.

#77 OFFLINE   desmo907

desmo907

Mentor

• Registered
  • 31 posts

Posted 08 December 2010 - 12:51 PM

Tried to find any threads on this... but let me vent.

I was out of contract for ~1.5 years and today got ATT U-verse. I called DN to cancel and they said they will mail me the empty boxes to send back my 2 DN boxes. He also said if I use their mailing labels they charge me $15 but I can also make my own and pay myself for postage. He said this is in the "contract".

How outrageous....I guess they expect I won't be upset about this charge and willing to come back to them in the future.... NOT.... :nono2:

#78 ONLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,800 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 08 December 2010 - 12:55 PM

http://www.dbstalk.c...ighlight=return :)
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#79 OFFLINE   Paul Secic

Paul Secic

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,072 posts

Posted 08 December 2010 - 01:11 PM

Tried to find any threads on this... but let me vent.

I was out of contract for ~1.5 years and today got ATT U-verse. I called DN to cancel and they said they will mail me the empty boxes to send back my 2 DN boxes. He also said if I use their mailing labels they charge me $15 but I can also make my own and pay myself for postage. He said this is in the "contract".

How outrageous....I guess they expect I won't be upset about this charge and willing to come back to them in the future.... NOT.... :nono2:

U-verse is horrid unless you're close to a VRAD. Good luck!

I'm back with Dish.

Enjoying AT 250 HBO, 

Equipment: VIP 722 reciever

#80 OFFLINE   desmo907

desmo907

Mentor

• Registered
  • 31 posts

Posted 08 December 2010 - 01:15 PM

Thx for that link.. not sure why the search didnt find it for me :)

yes, I am close to the VRAD and love the flexible DVR features and my 20+meg/sec internet :)

spam firewall