Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Returning Equipment - Told I will pay $15 for return shipping label

• Please log in to reply
104 replies to this topic

#101 OFFLINE   Jon J

Jon J

Grouch Extrordinaire

• Registered
  • 1,154 posts
  • LocationMusic City, USA

Posted 02 June 2012 - 07:09 AM

The LNB isn't attached to the house...

I think from a legal point of view it is.
When news breaks...we fix it.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#102 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,415 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 02 June 2012 - 11:51 PM

I think from a legal point of view it is.

Tell that to the power company and the phone company who have equipment attached or connected to things attached to your house. Power company owns the power meter (you own the box attached to your house that the meter plugs into) for example.

The water faucet attached to your house is yours... but if the gardener comes up and connects a hose to it the hose doesn't become yours because it is connected to something attached to your house.

-- I like to go fast (not really)

#103 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,190 posts

Posted 03 June 2012 - 10:34 AM

Tell that to the power company and the phone company who have equipment attached or connected to things attached to your house. Power company owns the power meter (you own the box attached to your house that the meter plugs into) for example.

And they can come and take it at any time (within the limits of the law) ... just like the gas company and water company. There is no expectation nor desire to have their customers remove their meters. There is also a 100% expectation that whomever is in the home will need to use those meters - unlike satellite where the current or next occupants have many options including not watching television.

The best place to look for a legal answer is in the agreement one signs to get service. The last I looked DISH had specific fees attached to the non-return of equipment. And although historically DISH has waived the requirement to return the LNB if it is something the customer agrees to do when they accepted service they could be held to that agreement.

Personally a dish with an LNB on it looks a lot better on a house than one without. People in the neighborhood don't know if it is in service or not if the LNB is attached - and it could serve as an advertisement. Take the LNB off and it is obviously out of use ... and depending on the community could be an obvious code violation (OTARD protects dishes used, not dishes that are out of use).

The water faucet attached to your house is yours... but if the gardener comes up and connects a hose to it the hose doesn't become yours because it is connected to something attached to your house.

If the gardener leaves the hose there and does not come back for it I'd consider it abandoned property and it would be mine. Just like if the DISH installer left his ladder or some tools. I would give them a reasonable amount of time to claim their abandoned property.

The only exception would be if there was an agreement in place ... where I agreed that the gardener could store his hose on my property. Kind of like the agreement made with a satellite company where I agree that they can put an LNB on my property.

#104 OFFLINE   tcatdbs

tcatdbs

Icon

• Registered
  • 559 posts

Posted 03 June 2012 - 05:37 PM

I don't find the "Switch" I'm supposed to return. I have a 722 and 211, and 2 dishes. A LNB and a LNB "Plus". Is the switch in the "plus"?

If returned in the 2 boxes = $17 x 2 -= $34
If my own 30# box, Fedex GND = $19

Can I use one of their labels for my own 30# box and get charged $17? Probably worth $2 not to take that risk.

edit: Just shipped both in one box, with two LNBF's, total 21#, $11 shipping (Fedex GND)... (El Paso isn't that far from here)

Edited by tcatdbs, 04 June 2012 - 09:57 AM.

#105 OFFLINE   Jon J

Jon J

Grouch Extrordinaire

• Registered
  • 1,154 posts
  • LocationMusic City, USA

Posted 04 June 2012 - 07:16 AM

The best place to look for a legal answer is in the agreement one signs to get service. The last I looked DISH had specific fees attached to the non-return of equipment. And although historically DISH has waived the requirement to return the LNB if it is something the customer agrees to do when they accepted service they could be held to that agreement.

Thanks for this advice. As I continue my contemplation of a switch from DirecTV to DISH these business practice differences are helpful to know.

I had DISH some 14 years ago and, IIRC, purchased all my equipment (dish, receiver, etc.) and installed it myself. I only interacted with DISH when I called to activate service. This was long before the lease model so I don't believe there was any question I owned all the equipment.

All these items are now figuring into my decision. Thanks again.
When news breaks...we fix it.

spam firewall