Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Article on Mike White, CEO of DIRECTV...authentication, 3D, TV Everywhere

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
297 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Satelliteracer

Satelliteracer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,032 posts

Posted 26 July 2010 - 06:17 PM

Some good information that touches on many things discussed here, including authentication, programming deals, etc, etc.

http://www.multichan...HITE_KNIGHT.php
DIRECTV employee

All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,929 posts
  • LocationDripping Springs, TX

Posted 26 July 2010 - 06:25 PM

From the link:

"Historically, we had a very limited offering in terms of the number of pay-per-view movies that we could offer our customers. We’re about to explode the variety that we can offer our customers later on this summer by a factor of 10 or more. We’re going to go from less than 20 [movies] to 400-plus. As we evolve towards connecting the box to the Internet, it enables us to go to thousands and thousands. "

Still wondering how they're going to do that. Will the mystery of why Spaceway1 has been cleaned out of LIL's be answered?

See post My Setup for configuration info.

#3 OFFLINE   LOCODUDE

LOCODUDE

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,649 posts
  • LocationNew York

Posted 26 July 2010 - 06:40 PM

Quite an interesting read...... Thanks.

Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it.

Confucius

#4 OFFLINE   davring

davring

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,378 posts

Posted 26 July 2010 - 06:46 PM

Good insight, thanks Satelliteracer.
HR20-700(2.0TB)>Sony XBR-55HX929
HR20-700>Sony KDL40V2500
OTA RS outdoor ant
Hardwire networked to Cysco Router 6.0 AT&T DSL
MRV enabled
R15-500>Samsung LNT2342H
DirecTV customer since 1997

#5 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,662 posts
  • LocationDawson, Georgia

Posted 26 July 2010 - 07:15 PM

Will the mystery of why Spaceway1 has been cleaned out of LIL's be answered?

Yep! To make room for LILs... at least partially anyway.

~Alan

#6 OFFLINE   Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson

6EQUJ5 WOW!

• Moderators
  • 13,824 posts

Posted 26 July 2010 - 08:00 PM

Web access? Very Cool! :D

Mike

µß
Since it costs 2.4¢ to produce a penny, my 2¢ worth is really 4.8¢ worth.  That 4.8¢ is my own and not the 4.8¢ of DIRECTV, Dish, or anyone else for that matter.

#7 OFFLINE   Jason Whiddon

Jason Whiddon

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,256 posts

Posted 26 July 2010 - 08:25 PM

It's a good read. If they'd lower the price on 1080p VOD, they'd get most of my movie business.
65" VT50 / BDP-S6200
X4000 / Outlaw Model 7125
Klipsch RF82 II and RC62 II / Hsu VTF-15H (2)
Directv HR44-200 / HR24-500

#8 OFFLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 28,913 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 26 July 2010 - 09:34 PM

Thanks Sat Racer .. Looks like some good stuff in there.
DIRECTV Firmware Monitor - iPhone - Android - HTML5

DIRECTV employee since August 2011.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#9 OFFLINE   TheRatPatrol

TheRatPatrol

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,697 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, AZ

Posted 26 July 2010 - 09:38 PM

MCN: You’re offering about 200 HD channels

Really? Where are they?

#10 OFFLINE   GregLee

GregLee

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,594 posts

Posted 26 July 2010 - 10:04 PM

... movies in particular are a big opportunity for DirecTV.

Wow. What a concept.
Greg

#11 OFFLINE   Carl Spock

Carl Spock

Superfly

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,567 posts

Posted 26 July 2010 - 10:16 PM

Fascinating. Posted Image

Obviously a very competent guy, but I can help but feel he's still learning. When asked about new opportunities, he talks about expanding VOD offerings dramatically, which will be huge, and the ability to insert local ads, which may be big for them but means diddly-squat to the viewer.

Where's that vision thing? Maybe the future is in the authentication side of the interview, but here he's talking about initial negotiations. One thing that's always impressed me about DirecTV is they are like the chess master, eight moves ahead of his opponent. With White, I get a guy who'd be a formidable competitor but is otherwise a lug-nut who grinds away to makes things happen.

I sure hope he's got a visionary hidden away in a dingy office.
hangin' with the bros at 40 Eridani A

#12 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,372 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 26 July 2010 - 10:16 PM

Yep! To make room for LILs at least partially anyway.

There would seem to be no reason to "make room" for LILs was all Spaceway 1 ever had (or could have, in terms of full-time programming) on it. I suspect that S1 represents one of DIRECTV's least economical assets and that's why it is idle.

I don't think Spaceway 1 is going to play much of a part in this PPV-heavy future unless there are a very few customers that buy a whole lot of PPVs. We all have a pretty good idea about how the satellite Internet carriers feel about downloading movies via satellite.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#13 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,372 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 26 July 2010 - 10:39 PM

When asked about new opportunities, he talks about expanding VOD offerings dramatically, which will be huge, and the ability to insert local ads, which may be big for them but means diddly-squat to the viewer.

The interesting part is that he spent so much time on the idea of authentication which suggests Internet delivery as opposed to satellite delivery.

I'm not sure the all of the broadband Internet providers are ready for this vision of the future. It works for cable because cable has a known pipe. Steady streaming to a non-DVR over a DSL connection may not prove satisfactory and that's a big if for a company that is pushing WHDS so hard.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#14 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,623 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 05:18 AM

This is the part that was most interesting (and newer)...

MCN: When you say content on the Web, is that YouTube-like content, or content from broadcasters and cable programmers? MW: All of the above. As media consumption has fragmented over the last 10 years, there are going to be a number of areas that consumers will want to access. We are already going to be streaming [the NFL] Sunday Ticket [out-of-market package] on an iPad for subscribers that take that package this fall. [We’re] looking at ways that we can expand [content] that’s available by either authenticating deals that we’ve done, and we’re trialing some things with a couple of our programming partners. I think that will evolve as well.

DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

#15 OFFLINE   Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich

Lifetime Achiever

• Registered
  • 30,092 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 06:14 AM

Obviously a very competent guy, but I can help but feel he's still learning. When asked about new opportunities, he talks about expanding VOD offerings dramatically, which will be huge, and the ability to insert local ads, which may be big for them but means diddly-squat to the viewer.

It's called more revenue streams, to help keep the customer prices as low as it can be. "Local" targeted ads are a key difference between SAT and Land-Based providers
Earl - Gotta Love Karma

DIRECTV employee since April 2008.

#16 OFFLINE   Jason Whiddon

Jason Whiddon

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,256 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 07:26 AM

More VOD people buy, the more they make, the less they plan to raise our rates (hopefully).
65" VT50 / BDP-S6200

#17 OFFLINE   Carl Spock

Carl Spock

Superfly

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,567 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 07:52 AM

Earl and elway, of course you are both right. This is a good way to improve DirecTV's bottom line.

I'm just saying this kind of info is more important to the bean counters than the general public.

In pure PR terms, I didn't think it was that great of an interview. In a piece meant for the public, if White wants to discuss nuts and bolts issues, he should talk about improved customer service, not how he can sell more ads. There was nothing in there about customer care.
hangin' with the bros at 40 Eridani A

#18 OFFLINE   Jason Whiddon

Jason Whiddon

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,256 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 07:53 AM

Very true, and as someone who does not use VOD, and would like a channel like BBCAHD, it's not very exciting. I also am not sold on 3D either.
65" VT50 / BDP-S6200

#19 OFFLINE   Hutchinshouse

Hutchinshouse

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,632 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 07:54 AM

More VOD people buy, the more they make, the less they plan to raise our rates (hopefully).

!rolling

#20 OFFLINE   Jason Whiddon

Jason Whiddon

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,256 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 07:59 AM

I'd believe Earl before I got overly paranoid...
65" VT50 / BDP-S6200

spam firewall