Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Article on Mike White, CEO of DIRECTV...authentication, 3D, TV Everywhere

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
297 replies to this topic

#281 OFFLINE   dreadlk

dreadlk

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,538 posts

Posted 03 August 2010 - 05:55 PM

Hardly.

In looking at the industry volumes and project adoption rates in earlier posts, it would seem quite obvious that failing to seize the opportunity for this kind of on-demand video service revenue would be short-sighted business judgment.

To further segregate myself from any interest or emotional equity on the subject....please note that you can count my PPV orders over the past 3 years on your hands...and have a couple of fingers left - not exactly a huge adopter.

Yes I am not so blind as not to see that there is indeed a tangible market, a growing market, and much more than chump change at stake to seize for those offering such a service. Over a Billion in revenue and only a few to cash in on it - seems like a bandwagon most smart providers would jump upon.

It won't make me rush out to order Cinema movies left and right, but many others will likely enjoy the freedom and ease to order many more flicks with just a remote in hand. No one at DBSTalk represents the viewer population, certainly not me. On the other hand, there are plenty of stats already posted in the last 24 hours in this thread to substantiate its much more than a 5% adoption rate.

Perhaps the exact % or $$$ is not really all that important - just that its coming, will likely bring in more revenue than most of us know, and simply compliment the other choices we have in viewing.

Agree... It's all about the possible revenue but the current numbers that I said are still probably right and very close to 1%

I still think that the reason You, Me and the other 75% of people on this forum don't purchase movies is simply price and as long as they dont address that issue it's probably never going to grow by much.

Edited by dreadlk, 03 August 2010 - 06:00 PM.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#282 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 03 August 2010 - 05:56 PM

Yeah that's why I think you're smart.:lol:

I must be.
DTV = Digital Television

#283 OFFLINE   jacmyoung

jacmyoung

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,544 posts

Posted 03 August 2010 - 06:00 PM

No no, keep going, so far your looking like a Rocket Scientist! Your own posts are proving me right. Just wish we had the exact figures because I would bet with those we would find PPV to be less than 1% of revenue for Directv.

If the 2% is true then the 50+ PPVs may not be the best use of the BW. But PPVs should have much higher % of profit.

However I like to point out again, Mike did not appear to talk about the kind of PPV you guys are debating about. I am hoping he is about low/no cost titles to counter Netflix and the like.

#284 OFFLINE   dreadlk

dreadlk

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,538 posts

Posted 03 August 2010 - 06:03 PM

I must be.

Keep saying it, "I am Smart",, "I Am Smart" soon you'll be replacing "I must be" with "I AM !!!!"

#285 OFFLINE   dreadlk

dreadlk

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,538 posts

Posted 03 August 2010 - 06:06 PM

If the 2% is true then the 50+ PPVs may not be the best use of the BW. But PPVs should have much higher % of profit.

However I like to point out again, Mike did not appear to talk about the kind of PPV you guys are debating about. I am hoping he is about low/no cost titles to counter Netflix and the like.

It's not the Best use of BW but as others have pointed out it's all about Potential Revenue. I have no idea what kind of profit they make, I have good info on Theaters but nothing on Cable or Satellite.

#286 OFFLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 28,913 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 03 August 2010 - 07:01 PM

Yes they would watch PPV but they dont even go into the Menu's to see that it's even there! They don't understand how the Billing will be done and in most cases they don't have a nearby phone line or even own a home Land Line anymore! So they will rent movies from Netflix because it's not technical, it's easy and cheap. Why do you think Directv has Dumbed down PPV ordering so much? The Pictures in the Guide, the Adverts in the Guide etc. all to try and reach those who dont ever go into Menus.

OK, so people are too stupid to use their remote to order movies but smart enough to use their computer to order movies from Netflix. Got it.
DIRECTV Firmware Monitor - iPhone - Android - HTML5

DIRECTV employee since August 2011.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#287 OFFLINE   spartanstew

spartanstew

Dry as a bone

• Registered
  • 12,427 posts
  • LocationWylie, Texas

Posted 03 August 2010 - 07:45 PM

Don't forget Doug, that these same people are so non-tech, that they don't have a landline either.

I'm sure Directv can't wait to get their hands on your unit.

Directv customer since 2000

#288 OFFLINE   jacmyoung

jacmyoung

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,544 posts

Posted 03 August 2010 - 08:26 PM

It's not the Best use of BW but as others have pointed out it's all about Potential Revenue. I have no idea what kind of profit they make, I have good info on Theaters but nothing on Cable or Satellite.

The potential revenue provided by the $4.99/$5.99 PPVs has been reached. Even though the revenue increased from last year, everyone else's revenue has also increased, reflecting the economy in which most families are forced to stay home and order movies, instead of going on vacations.

The 400 additional titles (hopefully many more than that) Mike talked about, they will not get $4.99/$5.99 a pop, only the first run titles can get such a premium, and only when DirecTV can provide them 28 days sooner than Netflix or Redbox.

But if those 400 or more additional titles can be ordered at a very low cost, or some of them even for free, I can see myself quiting Netflix, ordering from DirecTV too. Some others may just decide not to go the OTA/Netflix route and stay with DirecTV.

#289 OFFLINE   dreadlk

dreadlk

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,538 posts

Posted 04 August 2010 - 03:56 PM

Don't forget Doug, that these same people are so non-tech, that they don't have a landline either.

LOL your such a Joke. Why don't you read up on things before posting:nono: Do you know that many many people have gotten rid of their Landlines in the last 5 years. People are ditching Landlines and just using Cell phones, so that they have one number that you can reach them at 24/7 and save about $30 a month in the process. Not saying I agree with their choice but Duh if you kept up with Tech News you would know that's been the Trend for a long time now.

#290 OFFLINE   dreadlk

dreadlk

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,538 posts

Posted 04 August 2010 - 04:03 PM

The potential revenue provided by the $4.99/$5.99 PPVs has been reached. Even though the revenue increased from last year, everyone else's revenue has also increased, reflecting the economy in which most families are forced to stay home and order movies, instead of going on vacations.

The 400 additional titles (hopefully many more than that) Mike talked about, they will not get $4.99/$5.99 a pop, only the first run titles can get such a premium, and only when DirecTV can provide them 28 days sooner than Netflix or Redbox.

But if those 400 or more additional titles can be ordered at a very low cost, or some of them even for free, I can see myself quiting Netflix, ordering from DirecTV too. Some others may just decide not to go the OTA/Netflix route and stay with DirecTV.

I see what your saying, about the economy etc. if it has hit a low then the stay at home situation might change soon but then again the economy could get worst and more people might stay home, but if the economy is worst they may not even have money for Directv Sub to begin with :confused: LOL who knows, I guess Directv just wants to posistion themselves as a big player should PPV ever really take off.

#291 OFFLINE   spartanstew

spartanstew

Dry as a bone

• Registered
  • 12,427 posts
  • LocationWylie, Texas

Posted 04 August 2010 - 04:07 PM

LOL your such a Joke. Why don't you read up on things before posting:nono: Do you know that many many people have gotten rid of their Landlines in the last 5 years. People are ditching Landlines and just using Cell phones, so that they have one number that you can reach them at 24/7 and save about $30 a month in the process. Not saying I agree with their choice but Duh if you kept up with Tech News you would know that's been the Trend for a long time now.

Duh, but the vast majority of those folks are on the tech side of the equation. JSP, that you keep talking about, isn't dumping his land line. You can't have it both ways. You can't say people are so non-tech that they can't figure out VOD, but at the same time they don't have a phone line either.

Go ahead, tell us about all your non-tech customers that don't have land lines as your proof.

#292 OFFLINE   dreadlk

dreadlk

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,538 posts

Posted 04 August 2010 - 04:11 PM

OK, so people are too stupid to use their remote to order movies but smart enough to use their computer to order movies from Netflix. Got it.

Yep a lot of people can Navigate Websites because they do it all day but hand them a remote and ask them to figure out something and you get a whole different story. I would say that most of the problem is still lack of connectivity and not lack of Brains but it all plays a part in these low numbers.

Am I the only one on this Forum who's wife can Navigate Websites, order stuff from Amazon.com etc. but at home if she wants to record a series that is not showing right now, she asks you to go into the search, find the show and setup the series link?

#293 OFFLINE   dreadlk

dreadlk

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,538 posts

Posted 04 August 2010 - 04:15 PM

Duh, but the vast majority of those folks are on the tech side of the equation. JSP, that you keep talking about, isn't dumping his land line. You can't have it both ways. You can't say people are so non-tech that they can't figure out VOD, but at the same time they don't have a phone line either.

Go ahead, tell us about all your non-tech customers that don't have land lines as your proof.

Spartanstew what I love about this is how the First Sentence Sums you up Perfectly.:lol::lol:

http://www.mobilecru...icans-think-so/

Edited by dreadlk, 04 August 2010 - 04:21 PM.

#294 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,849 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 04 August 2010 - 04:21 PM

What I love about this is how the First Sentence Sums you up Perfectly.:lol::lol:

25% isn't most. Most would be 51%
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#295 OFFLINE   spartanstew

spartanstew

Dry as a bone

• Registered
  • 12,427 posts
  • LocationWylie, Texas

Posted 04 August 2010 - 04:22 PM

What I love about this is how the First Sentence Sums you up Perfectly.:lol::lol:

redacted Is there nothing that you understand? People keep pointing out the flaws in everything you say and you just change course. All my statements are accurate. Just like your link alludes to:

The only people I know of that still have landlines either need them for a fax machine or are of a certain generation.

Who do you think is in that generation of people holding on to their land lines? Tech savy 30 year olds?

You have got to be the most obtuse individual to ever grace this forum. redacted you keep going thinking that everyone else must be wrong.

Guess what? They're not.

Edited by Doug Brott, 04 August 2010 - 04:34 PM.
redacted portion of comments

#296 OFFLINE   dreadlk

dreadlk

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,538 posts

Posted 04 August 2010 - 05:59 PM

25% isn't most. Most would be 51%

If you read my Posts I did not say most people don't have a Landline, what I said was they dont have connectivity to the Receiver, IOW I said most people dont have a landline near the Receiver nor do they have an ADSL line near it!

The People not Having Landlines is because my Smart friend does not realize that putting aside the Fact that Most people do not have a Phone near their receivers, many do not even have a Landline and that's been a Growing Trend for Years.

#297 OFFLINE   dreadlk

dreadlk

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,538 posts

Posted 04 August 2010 - 06:19 PM

redacted Is there nothing that you understand? People keep pointing out the flaws in everything you say and you just change course. All my statements are accurate. Just like your link alludes to:

The only people I know of that still have landlines either need them for a fax machine or are of a certain generation.

Who do you think is in that generation of people holding on to their land lines? Tech savy 30 year olds?

You have got to be the most obtuse individual to ever grace this forum. redacted you keep going thinking that everyone else must be wrong.

Guess what? They're not.

Einstein, I said in my original Post, the one that got you so worked up that most people are not interested in Buying PPV, What has changed about that? The Posts on this thread show that less than 2% of Directv's Revenue is from PPV and 75% of people on this Forum are not that interested in it. So my assertion that 400 more shows or Channels is not going to be important nor does it make a difference seem to be proven fairly well.

Secondly, you obviously had no clue that Landlines were going extinct, and you still believe that most people just happen to have a Phone Jack/Ethernet jack right behind their TV.

At this point you seem to be the person who keeps this going, I really don't care what you think, because from your past posts it's obvious that you don’t read Posts nor do you know what is going on in the the real world.

#298 OFFLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 28,913 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 04 August 2010 - 06:21 PM

At this point we've gone from a somewhat productive conversation into a place that best be avoided .. I think everything has been said that needs to be said. Let's all move along and play nice.

Thanks.

This thread has been closed.
DIRECTV Firmware Monitor - iPhone - Android - HTML5

DIRECTV employee since August 2011.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

spam firewall