Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Article on Mike White, CEO of DIRECTV...authentication, 3D, TV Everywhere

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
297 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,874 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 08:04 AM

My only point of disagreement is with his stance that there's a lot more growth to be had with 3D. Maybe the technology will rapidly mature but otherwise I see 3D as a dead end.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,025 posts
  • LocationDripping Springs, TX

Posted 27 July 2010 - 08:08 AM

My only point of disagreement is with his stance that there's a lot more growth to be had with 3D. Maybe the technology will rapidly mature but otherwise I see 3D as a dead end.

Are you sure you didn't forget to turn the glasses on so you could see it wasn't a dead end;)

See post My Setup for configuration info.

#23 OFFLINE   Hutchinshouse

Hutchinshouse

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,632 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 08:18 AM

Whole heartedly agree! I was out shopping over the weekend. There’s still “old school” 3D blu-ray movies for sale. By old school I mean the red and blue glasses style 3D. This has got to be so confusing for the average consumer.

3D with Glasses--->:kickbutt:<---Grim reaper

#24 OFFLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 28,919 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 27 July 2010 - 08:25 AM

My take on that comment was different than yours Stuart. I think he was being a bit less optimistic than he made it sound. For instance, immediately after that he said "That’s not to say I think it’s the same as HD — I don’t believe it is — but I certainly think that’s an opportunity."

This (to me) translates to: "3D is big, but it ain't that big."

Certainly everyone can draw their own conclusion, though.
DIRECTV Firmware Monitor - iPhone - Android - HTML5

DIRECTV employee since August 2011.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#25 OFFLINE   cover

cover

Icon

• Registered
  • 529 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 08:26 AM

I agree. I tend to think 3D it is just a fad. On the other hand, the industry is pushing it so hard as the Next Big Thing that it may become a self-fulfilling prophecy.

#26 OFFLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 28,919 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 27 July 2010 - 08:27 AM

Whole heartedly agree! I was out shopping over the weekend. There’s still “old school” 3D blu-ray movies for sale. By old school I mean the red and blue glasses style 3D. This has got to be so confusing for the average consumer.

I can see it now ..

Government Warning: This is "old school" 3D. It will not work the way you expect on new digital 3DTVs.

All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#27 OFFLINE   ATARI

ATARI

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,876 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 08:27 AM

"but we want to ensure that we don’t undermine the business model that creates the economics for us to create great content and, frankly, for us to be able to distribute it"

We don't want to piss-off our content providers, so we will be limiting where and how you can watch what you have already paid for by implementing more layers of DRM.

#28 OFFLINE   ATARI

ATARI

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,876 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 08:28 AM

I agree. I tend to think 3D it is just a fad. On the other hand, the industry is pushing it so hard as the Next Big Thing that it may become a self-fulfilling prophecy.

I will be purchasing a new TV next month -- 3D will not be a selling point for me -- in fact, it will be a moot point.

#29 OFFLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 28,919 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 27 July 2010 - 08:32 AM

"but we want to ensure that we don’t undermine the business model that creates the economics for us to create great content and, frankly, for us to be able to distribute it"

We don't want to piss-off our content providers, so we will be limiting where and how you can watch what you have already paid for by implementing more layers of DRM.

Is it really more layers or just a different methodology .. heck, they may even be using the Apple model with the HR2x as the "iTunes" device. The good news is that this seems to be a crack in the "on the go" conservatism that DIRECTV has shown in the past. It's the implementation part that's not so clear at the moment.

although I suspect we'll hear about it @ DBSTalk first :grin:

#30 OFFLINE   daisydog6

daisydog6

• Registered
  • 7 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 08:39 AM

I'd really like to see some true cost-saving bundles from DirecTV. Mr. White mentions their telco partners. Maybe they should move on to someone new like LightSquared, who is building a nationwide 4G wireless broadband network and will wholesale their service.

#31 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,874 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 08:40 AM

There are already some bundles in parts of the country, and I wouldn't be surprised to see more.

#32 OFFLINE   john18

john18

Icon

• DBSTalk Club
  • 980 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 09:16 AM

I tend to think 3-D seems to have all the earmarks of a fad. Even as a nominal early adopter, I plan on steering clear of that. I'm still smarting over my loss in the HD-DVD v. Blu-Ray war!!

Since Earl is sniffing around this thread let me pose a question. Revenue streams are important, but I suspect that long term viability also includes making certain that the customer receives superior value for their $$$. Rates are trending up and (with the economy the way it is) income for many is either flat or declining. D* has a huge investment in infrastructure so it seems to me they need to find, and walk, a fine line that rewards their investment without losing customers who simply decide that they can't afford as much entertainment expenses, especially with web-based alternatives.

#33 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,856 posts
  • LocationDawson, Georgia

Posted 27 July 2010 - 09:22 AM

My take on that comment was different than yours Stuart. I think he was being a bit less optimistic than he made it sound. For instance, immediately after that he said "That’s not to say I think it’s the same as HD — I don’t believe it is — but I certainly think that’s an opportunity."

This (to me) translates to: "3D is big, but it ain't that big."

Certainly everyone can draw their own conclusion, though.

I have the same take as Doug...

"3D will be big, but not as big as HD" was what I got out of it...

~Alan

#34 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,856 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 09:25 AM

There would seem to be no reason to "make room" for LILs was all Spaceway 1 ever had (or could have, in terms of full-time programming) on it. I suspect that S1 represents one of DIRECTV's least economical assets and that's why it is idle.

I should have worded it better.

I'm sure there was a reason why SW1 was emptied... however, they have already transitioned some markets to SW1, so it's no longer empty. That last part was what I was trying to get across...

~Alan

#35 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,874 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 09:25 AM

Well, maybe, but I personally think 3D will have about the same effect on the TV market as minidiscs had on the audio market.

#36 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,856 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 09:33 AM

As for my take on the article?! Well, I wasn't really impressed.

It seemed to imply (to me) that one of the reasons channel negotiations are taking so long is that DirecTV wants permission to allow their subscribers to watch programming on the web.

As someone who has spent a considerable amount of money (for me anyway) on HDTVs, audio equipment, and lease/mirroring fees, the prospect of watching TV on a computer/iPad, etc. REALLY doesn't interest me in the least.

If however this will lead to DirecTV officially supporting eSATA and allowing one to transfer programming from one DVR to another on the same account, I will call it a good thing.

~Alan

#37 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,856 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 09:35 AM

Well, maybe, but I personally think 3D will have about the same effect on the TV market as minidiscs had on the audio market.

You may be right...

I still think it will become a feature... much like 1080p or 120hz/240hz.

~Alan

#38 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,025 posts
  • LocationDripping Springs, TX

Posted 27 July 2010 - 09:38 AM

Maybe, but that was bacially just a different method of distributing content, it wasn't new content. IMHO 3D on the other hand is new content, yes the same movie can be seen in 2D but if you look at what it's done for the movies there must be some demand out there for it. And if the CE folks keep the pricing for 3D hardware reasonable I think it will roll out a lot quicker then HD did. Looking at ad's in past Sundays paper I could get a 46" Samsung 1080p 240hz 3D set, a 3D bluray player and two glasses for $2100, four years ago I paid $3,200 for a 46" Samsung 1080p 60Hz set.

See post My Setup for configuration info.

#39 OFFLINE   MikeW

MikeW

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,542 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 09:41 AM

I'd really like to see some movement on the portability of content. I recently purchaed a van with an entertainment system. DVDs are OK, but there needs to be more than just movies. It came with FLO TV, but that the signal is very limited in my area and there are only a few channels.

#40 OFFLINE   keith_benedict

keith_benedict

Godfather

• Registered
  • 310 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 09:47 AM

"Historically, we had a very limited offering in terms of the number of pay-per-view movies that we could offer our customers. We’re about to explode the variety that we can offer our customers later on this summer by a factor of 10 or more. We’re going to go from less than 20 [movies] to 400-plus. As we evolve towards connecting the box to the Internet, it enables us to go to thousands and thousands. "

I sure hope they add the missing HD channels (BBCA, etc) before doing this. I've never watched a single PPV movie. The video quality doesn't compare to Blu-ray and the audio quality doesn't even compare to DVD. Until they can give me the same (or at least similar) experience, I'll stick to Netflix (even with the 30 day wait).

Give us more non-PPV HD channels.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...