Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Article on Mike White, CEO of DIRECTV...authentication, 3D, TV Everywhere

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
297 replies to this topic

#51 OFFLINE   woj027

woj027

Icon

• Registered
  • 864 posts
  • LocationPortland, OR

Posted 27 July 2010 - 12:34 PM

What about this quote from the last paragraph of the article.

"as well as in our relaunch of movies later this year"

relaunch of movies? I figure this is about the 400 HD movies, but the "relaunch" is an interesting term.

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#52 OFFLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 28,937 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 27 July 2010 - 12:41 PM

What about this quote from the last paragraph of the article.

"as well as in our relaunch of movies later this year"

relaunch of movies? I figure this is about the 400 HD movies, but the "relaunch" is an interesting term.

"Relaunch" will be about the look and feel, but it will retain many similarities to what you are currently used to.
DIRECTV Firmware Monitor - iPhone - Android - HTML5

DIRECTV employee since August 2011.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#53 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 32,440 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 12:45 PM

For the gazillionth time .. this will NOT be 400 HD PPV channels. The content will be delivered differently. There may be some additional PPV channels, but it will be small. There is plenty of capacity for missing HD channels (both present and future).

Amazingly...some just can't understand/accept this simple fact.
DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

#54 OFFLINE   woj027

woj027

Icon

• Registered
  • 864 posts
  • LocationPortland, OR

Posted 27 July 2010 - 12:59 PM

"Relaunch" will be about the look and feel, but it will retain many similarities to what you are currently used to.

Oh, ok. it just seemed like an interesting word choice.

#55 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 32,440 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 01:01 PM

Oh, ok. it just seemed like an interesting word choice.

Satellite-Rocket talk I suppose. :lol:

#56 OFFLINE   aa9vi

aa9vi

Godfather

• Registered
  • 310 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 01:42 PM

"MCN: So, no plans for a broadband offering?
MW: We certainly think that providing broadband to our customers through some kind of bundle is an important strategy for us, but we’ve been doing it by partnering up with a number of diff erent telcos. Frankly, we have enough telco partnerships that we should be able to reach 90% of the entire U.S. with broadband bundles. And we’re going to continue to look for ways to do that more smoothly and to provide even more robust bundled offerings. I see us more as the aggregator working with other partners on broadband than us literally providing the wires or the network. "

Uh.... I'm not so sure about that 90% figure, buddy. Just in Chicago alone (market #3) there is no bundle partner since AT&T has DSL landline/UVerse and Communinistcast has it's own services. I thought their deal with Verizon had lapsed since they have FIOS now. What about other large markets?

#57 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 21,146 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 27 July 2010 - 02:39 PM

If you want to allow someone to watch/record something on DirecTV hardware, like an HR24 - and then open that up to allow them to watch the programming the distributor makes available (online HBO for example) or make it so they can watch the programming on their HR24 from another location (like an iPhone) - you need an agreed upon method for authentication.

Basically - its the mechanism to allow DirecTV to be more versatile with its subscribers regarding when, where, what, and how you watch your programming. They want to be your content provider - NOT just your DVR and satellite TV provider.

This may be the DIRECTV-centric vision of authentication but the more widely accepted view is that it involves having a web login for content that you subscribe to. It represents an entirely Internet delivered experience.

For a company like DIRECTV there may also be some opportunities to authenticate their own content for subscribers to other services.

http://newteevee.com...authentication/

http://www.multichan...ywhere_Camp.php
Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#58 OFFLINE   reber1b

reber1b

Legend

• Registered
  • 165 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 03:15 PM

My only point of disagreement is with his stance that there's a lot more growth to be had with 3D. Maybe the technology will rapidly mature but otherwise I see 3D as a dead end.

I had an interesting converation with one of the consumer electronics people in my local Costco a few weeks ago. I asked him when Costco would be getting in 3D TV's. He said they are waiting for the newer technology sets, which will not require glasses. He mentioned a plasma set that will have 3 layers of screens to create a 3D effect. Unfortunately he didn't have time to talk to me all day, so that's all I found out

#59 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 32,440 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 04:26 PM

I had an interesting converation with one of the consumer electronics people in my local Costco a few weeks ago. I asked him when Costco would be getting in 3D TV's. He said they are waiting for the newer technology sets, which will not require glasses. He mentioned a plasma set that will have 3 layers of screens to create a 3D effect. Unfortunately he didn't have time to talk to me all day, so that's all I found out

He's got a long wait. :D

The only 3D plasma's I saw at CES from 3 different manufactuers all didn't use 3 layers of screens...they had a polarizing filter on top of a single screen with "wave pulse plasma" technology.

#60 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 18,288 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 05:00 PM

SO basically expect Directv2IPad this fall, followed by DIrectv2Mobile soon after...

#61 OFFLINE   JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,367 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 05:07 PM

"MCN: So, no plans for a broadband offering?
MW: We certainly think that providing broadband to our customers through some kind of bundle is an important strategy for us, but we’ve been doing it by partnering up with a number of diff erent telcos. Frankly, we have enough telco partnerships that we should be able to reach 90% of the entire U.S. with broadband bundles. And we’re going to continue to look for ways to do that more smoothly and to provide even more robust bundled offerings. I see us more as the aggregator working with other partners on broadband than us literally providing the wires or the network. "

Uh.... I'm not so sure about that 90% figure, buddy. Just in Chicago alone (market #3) there is no bundle partner since AT&T has DSL landline/UVerse and Communinistcast has it's own services. I thought their deal with Verizon had lapsed since they have FIOS now. What about other large markets?

U-Verse is not all over and they don't EVEN have MLB Network.
I want CLTV / CLTV HD on direct tv.

#62 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,658 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 05:12 PM

The consumer electronics folks at Costco are about as knowledgeable regarding consumer electronics as your average family pet.
DTV = Digital Television

#63 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Registered
  • 37,060 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 05:24 PM

Well, that's certainly one way it could go.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#64 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 32,440 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 05:30 PM

The consumer electronics folks at Costco are about as knowledgeable regarding consumer electronics as your average family pet.

I'm not sure I'd go quite that far.... :eek2::D

...on the other hand...I wouldn't seek them for any kind of advanced technical advice either... ;)

There are plenty of folks at DBSTalk that I'd ask about that stuff before going to a retailer for most questions. I've learned plenty from others here.

#65 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,658 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 05:32 PM

I'm not sure I'd go quite that far.... :eek2::D

...on the other hand...I wouldn't seek them for any kind of advanced technical advice either... ;)

There are plenty of folks at DBSTalk that I'd ask about that stuff before going to a retailer for most questions. I've learned plenty from others here.

Personally, I throw the Geek Squad folks in with that category as well. That's just me though. :D
DTV = Digital Television

#66 OFFLINE   ffemtreed

ffemtreed

Icon

• Registered
  • 962 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 05:37 PM

Amazingly...some just can't understand/accept this simple fact.

I don't think it quite so simple.

DTV keeps talking about 400 more PPV channels to launch soon, they said today they expect to add more in the future using internet broadband which implies that they will be using satellite bandwidth to deliver the new PPV cinema. The most logical place would be all those free transponders on that brand new shiny satellite. DTV has already said they saturated the HD market.

Until Dtv comes out and gives any hints of where all this additional bandwidth this new service comes from we only have the logical conclusion that it will come from one of the satellites. I guess it could come from one of the spaceways, 110 or 119, but with all the SL3's they been pushing I doubt 110 or 119 is in the future plans for mainstream US customers.

The only other method I could for see is a cell phone app distribution like they used Sunday ticket last year as a pre-test/proof of concept.

#67 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,658 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 05:41 PM

DTV keeps talking about 400 more PPV channels to launch soon, they said today they expect to add more in the future using internet broadband which implies that they will be using satellite bandwidth to deliver the new PPV cinema. The most logical place would be all those free transponders on that brand new shiny satellite. DTV has already said they saturated the HD market.

Until Dtv comes out and gives any hints of where all this additional bandwidth this new service comes from we only have the logical conclusion that it will come from one of the satellites. I guess it could come from one of the spaceways, 110 or 119, but with all the SL3's they been pushing I doubt 110 or 119 is in the future plans for mainstream US customers.

The only other method I could for see is a cell phone app distribution like they used Sunday ticket last year as a pre-test/proof of concept.

They've never said anything about 400 additional PPV channels. Not once. Never happened.
DTV = Digital Television

#68 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 32,440 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 05:47 PM

They've never said anything about 400 additional PPV channels. Not once. Never happened.

Correct....

....400 HD movies (a selection)....not 400 HD movie channels.

#69 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,658 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 05:49 PM

Correct....

....400 HD movies (a selection)....not 400 HD movie channels.

Yep. A huge difference. You'd think we had mentioned that often enough around here, but I guess not.
DTV = Digital Television

#70 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 32,440 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 05:51 PM

Yep. A huge difference. You'd think we had mentioned that often enough around here, but I guess not.

It's been asked and answered often since that topic started...but not everyone "travels" in the same threads...so I can see how it might have been missed...or more accurately...misunderstood.

#71 OFFLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 28,937 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 27 July 2010 - 06:02 PM

Well you can think that .. I'm pretty sure me saying it and satracer +1'ing it is a hint, though. What more do you want?
DIRECTV Firmware Monitor - iPhone - Android - HTML5

DIRECTV employee since August 2011.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#72 OFFLINE   georule

georule

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,602 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 06:06 PM

I hope they get the UI right. Nothing turns me off quicker from being willing to pay for dls than not having the right menus to group stuff in a way that I find friendly. The HD better be grouped together. "New HD Movies" would be accepted with gratitude. "1080p Movies" something like that.

If I have to flip thru page after page after page after page of what I am uninterested in to find what I might be interested in, I just won't do it. I know that about me by now.

#73 OFFLINE   john18

john18

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,031 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 06:46 PM

Personally, I throw the Geek Squad folks in with that category as well. That's just me though. :D

Yes, but they are both an improvement over what existed at Circuit City after they fired their knowledgeable staff members and replaced them with minimum wagers who didn't care or know anything.

#74 OFFLINE   wmb

wmb

Godfather

• Registered
  • 454 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 07:00 PM

Well you can think that .. I'm pretty sure me saying it and satracer +1'ing it is a hint, though. What more do you want?

I know I'm looking forward to loosing all the current HD channels we have, all 200 of them, and having them replaced with half bitrate (HD-lite-lite) PPV channels. Lets face it, thats hat would be required to accomplish this :D

OK, back the authentications... Haben't read much on it, but I work with our IT security guy sometimes, and I want to see if this kind of makes sense...

In the IT Security world, they talk about credentials to access the system, which has two components, authorization and authentication. uthorization deals with what a particular user can do. Authentication deals with proving you are the authorized user. So, our STBs have an access card, which authenticates that the STB is authorized to receive subscribed channels.

In a larger sense, authentications would allow you to prove who you are to access the features you are authorized to use through a variety of devices apart from your STB. This could include viewing content over the internet (streaming from DTV servers to your PC), to viewing content on your DVR remotely over the internet (slingbox), but also things like a PC tuner card that you can put into a media center PC. It would also handle the DRM to protect content.

So, I could imagine negotitations could be heck... Some providers wanting as wide a distribution as possible, others wanting less. Some wanting very tight authentication protocols, or super secure DRM. All of this means that the engineering guys and lawyers negotiating contracts have to be in contact to understand whether whats being negotiated can be done, while management types must be kept abreast of costs to determine whether its worth the investment.

#75 OFFLINE   wmb

wmb

Godfather

• Registered
  • 454 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 07:04 PM

Keep in mind that there are people who take their PCs to the geek squad to get new hard drives installed. :nono2:

Protected By... spam firewall...And...