Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Article on Mike White, CEO of DIRECTV...authentication, 3D, TV Everywhere

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
297 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 28,917 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 27 July 2010 - 10:01 AM

For the gazillionth time .. this will NOT be 400 HD PPV channels. The content will be delivered differently. There may be some additional PPV channels, but it will be small. There is plenty of capacity for missing HD channels (both present and future).
DIRECTV Firmware Monitor - iPhone - Android - HTML5

DIRECTV employee since August 2011.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#42 OFFLINE   Satelliteracer

Satelliteracer

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 3,035 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 10:20 AM

As for my take on the article?! Well, I wasn't really impressed.

It seemed to imply (to me) that one of the reasons channel negotiations are taking so long is that DirecTV wants permission to allow their subscribers to watch programming on the web.

As someone who has spent a considerable amount of money (for me anyway) on HDTVs, audio equipment, and lease/mirroring fees, the prospect of watching TV on a computer/iPad, etc. REALLY doesn't interest me in the least.

If however this will lead to DirecTV officially supporting eSATA and allowing one to transfer programming from one DVR to another on the same account, I will call it a good thing.

~Alan

I understand that position, fair point. I would only say that Authentication goes beyond just "the web" and it's very much a big deal in where the viewing experience is going in society in the next 5, 10 , 20 years.

There's no doubt, in my mind anyway, that authentication is part of the new frontier and as a result, everything gets a touch more complicated with agreements and such.

This is why when people say "Company X has a deal with channel Y", well it's not apples to apples anymore on so many levels. I would also argue that no longer is it just about dollars and cents anymore either. A common theme I read is "Company Y isn't willing to pay channel A's demands". Of course money is always an important part, but there are many other attributes involved as well. In essence, often times the financial parts can get worked out in a deal but it's the other stuff that delays things.
DIRECTV employee

All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#43 OFFLINE   Satelliteracer

Satelliteracer

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 3,035 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 10:20 AM

For the gazillionth time .. this will NOT be 400 HD PPV channels. The content will be delivered differently. There may be some additional PPV channels, but it will be small. There is plenty of capacity for missing HD channels (both present and future).

+1

Doug is absolutely correct.
DIRECTV employee

#44 OFFLINE   digitalfreak

digitalfreak

Legend

• Registered
  • 182 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 10:58 AM

Well, maybe, but I personally think 3D will have about the same effect on the TV market as minidiscs had on the audio market.

Agreed. I've seen quite a few of the "new" 3D movies and have not been impressed. With very few exceptions, it seems to be a gimmick more than anything.

#45 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,813 posts
  • LocationDawson, Georgia

Posted 27 July 2010 - 11:08 AM

I understand that position, fair point. I would only say that Authentication goes beyond just "the web" and it's very much a big deal in where the viewing experience is going in society in the next 5, 10 , 20 years.

I'm very glad to hear it goes beyond "just the web".

I'm happy with DirecTV, and while I don't mind DirecTV dabbling in technologies like "TV Everywhere" (or whatever name you want to give it), TVApps, DirecTV2PC, etc., what I REALLY want to see them do is continue to focus on their TV service.... whether it's remaining competitive with their channel lineup, new services that enhance their TV service (Whole Home DVR), or enhancing their current TV services (some DVR features I can think of, as well as more customization for WHDS).

~Alan

#46 OFFLINE   georule

georule

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,585 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 11:25 AM

I would agree with White that the 2009 new adds numbers were a blip due to temporary circumstances that are rapidly disappearing. I am one of those adds, and I know what drove me to it --a local cableco that I had finally reached the end of my rope on waiting for them to provide more HD. But that local cableco, a year later, is about to add enough HD channels in my neighborhood to at least be competitive. If they had done that 14 months ago, I might not be here writing about this (tho I've been very happy with my choice to move).

I'm not saying DirecTV doesn't still have advantages to offer (you don't really emotionally understand the difference it will make for you between a 160GB Comcast DVR and a 500GB DirecTV DVR until you've had one; tho Comcast is now up to 250GB, it still isn't enough). But that early 2009 degree of separation for people like me who really care about HD is closing to something more like the long-term difference it will maintain going forward rather than the gaping maw it was for awhile there.

#47 OFFLINE   mreposter

mreposter

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,704 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 11:40 AM

Fascinating. Posted Image

Obviously a very competent guy, but I can help but feel he's still learning. When asked about new opportunities, he talks about expanding VOD offerings dramatically, which will be huge, and the ability to insert local ads, which may be big for them but means diddly-squat to the viewer.

Multichannel News is an industry-targeted news service, not really consumer-oriented. He addressed many of the hot topics in the industry now - 3D, authentication (web accessible content), the relationship between Directv and Liberty, etc.

For a guy who has only been with Directv for six months and used to work for Pepsi, he seems to have a fairly good grasp of what's going on. I don't think he said anything surprising, it was all pretty much in line with what Directv has been saying for the last year or so, but that's to be expected.
.......... There are none so blind as those who can not see it in HD.
.......... Directv customer since January 2000.

#48 OFFLINE   wilbur_the_goose

wilbur_the_goose

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,400 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 11:45 AM

Doug,
You should be proud of me - I learned the PPV lesson ;)

Question though - could somebody explain "authentication"?

#49 OFFLINE   ffemtreed

ffemtreed

Icon

• Registered
  • 958 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 11:54 AM

+1

Doug is absolutely correct.

Can you give any insight on how the channels will be delivered.

#50 OFFLINE   BudShark

BudShark

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,187 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 12:13 PM

Doug,
You should be proud of me - I learned the PPV lesson ;)

Question though - could somebody explain "authentication"?

If you want to allow someone to watch/record something on DirecTV hardware, like an HR24 - and then open that up to allow them to watch the programming the distributor makes available (online HBO for example) or make it so they can watch the programming on their HR24 from another location (like an iPhone) - you need an agreed upon method for authentication.

Basically - its the mechanism to allow DirecTV to be more versatile with its subscribers regarding when, where, what, and how you watch your programming. They want to be your content provider - NOT just your DVR and satellite TV provider.

#51 OFFLINE   woj027

woj027

Icon

• Registered
  • 823 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 12:34 PM

What about this quote from the last paragraph of the article.

"as well as in our relaunch of movies later this year"

relaunch of movies? I figure this is about the 400 HD movies, but the "relaunch" is an interesting term.

#52 OFFLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 28,917 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 27 July 2010 - 12:41 PM

What about this quote from the last paragraph of the article.

"as well as in our relaunch of movies later this year"

relaunch of movies? I figure this is about the 400 HD movies, but the "relaunch" is an interesting term.

"Relaunch" will be about the look and feel, but it will retain many similarities to what you are currently used to.
DIRECTV Firmware Monitor - iPhone - Android - HTML5

DIRECTV employee since August 2011.

#53 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,691 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 12:45 PM

Amazingly...some just can't understand/accept this simple fact.
DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

#54 OFFLINE   woj027

woj027

Icon

• Registered
  • 823 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 12:59 PM

"Relaunch" will be about the look and feel, but it will retain many similarities to what you are currently used to.

Oh, ok. it just seemed like an interesting word choice.

#55 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,691 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 01:01 PM

Oh, ok. it just seemed like an interesting word choice.

Satellite-Rocket talk I suppose. :lol:

#56 OFFLINE   aa9vi

aa9vi

Godfather

• Registered
  • 310 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 01:42 PM

"MCN: So, no plans for a broadband offering?
MW: We certainly think that providing broadband to our customers through some kind of bundle is an important strategy for us, but we’ve been doing it by partnering up with a number of diff erent telcos. Frankly, we have enough telco partnerships that we should be able to reach 90% of the entire U.S. with broadband bundles. And we’re going to continue to look for ways to do that more smoothly and to provide even more robust bundled offerings. I see us more as the aggregator working with other partners on broadband than us literally providing the wires or the network. "

Uh.... I'm not so sure about that 90% figure, buddy. Just in Chicago alone (market #3) there is no bundle partner since AT&T has DSL landline/UVerse and Communinistcast has it's own services. I thought their deal with Verizon had lapsed since they have FIOS now. What about other large markets?

#57 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,720 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 27 July 2010 - 02:39 PM

If you want to allow someone to watch/record something on DirecTV hardware, like an HR24 - and then open that up to allow them to watch the programming the distributor makes available (online HBO for example) or make it so they can watch the programming on their HR24 from another location (like an iPhone) - you need an agreed upon method for authentication.

Basically - its the mechanism to allow DirecTV to be more versatile with its subscribers regarding when, where, what, and how you watch your programming. They want to be your content provider - NOT just your DVR and satellite TV provider.

This may be the DIRECTV-centric vision of authentication but the more widely accepted view is that it involves having a web login for content that you subscribe to. It represents an entirely Internet delivered experience.

For a company like DIRECTV there may also be some opportunities to authenticate their own content for subscribers to other services.

http://newteevee.com...authentication/

http://www.multichan...ywhere_Camp.php

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#58 OFFLINE   reber1b

reber1b

Legend

• Registered
  • 165 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 03:15 PM

My only point of disagreement is with his stance that there's a lot more growth to be had with 3D. Maybe the technology will rapidly mature but otherwise I see 3D as a dead end.

I had an interesting converation with one of the consumer electronics people in my local Costco a few weeks ago. I asked him when Costco would be getting in 3D TV's. He said they are waiting for the newer technology sets, which will not require glasses. He mentioned a plasma set that will have 3 layers of screens to create a 3D effect. Unfortunately he didn't have time to talk to me all day, so that's all I found out

#59 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,691 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 04:26 PM

I had an interesting converation with one of the consumer electronics people in my local Costco a few weeks ago. I asked him when Costco would be getting in 3D TV's. He said they are waiting for the newer technology sets, which will not require glasses. He mentioned a plasma set that will have 3 layers of screens to create a 3D effect. Unfortunately he didn't have time to talk to me all day, so that's all I found out

He's got a long wait. :D

The only 3D plasma's I saw at CES from 3 different manufactuers all didn't use 3 layers of screens...they had a polarizing filter on top of a single screen with "wave pulse plasma" technology.

#60 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,121 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 05:00 PM

SO basically expect Directv2IPad this fall, followed by DIrectv2Mobile soon after...

Protected By... spam firewall...And...