Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Went from HR20 to HR21 and now cant get signal on sat 99 or 103

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Foghorn

Foghorn

Mentor

• Registered
  • 39 posts

Posted 26 July 2010 - 10:32 PM

I got a new 3D tv and I had the HR20 receiver and it wont get 3D programming so I called directv and got a replacement. They sent me a HR21-100 and I now get no signal on Sat 99 and 103. I have the BBand on the just like on the HR20 and everything else is the same as before. I did the satellite setup like on the other receivers and it still wont work. I called Directv and told them the problem and they sent me another HR21-100 and it wont work either. When I hook the HR20 back where I switch the HR21 I get a signal on 99 and 103 so I hooked the HR21 again and still no signal on 99 and 103 so I get no HD on this receiver.

Anyone have any advice?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 26 July 2010 - 10:42 PM

When you have the HR20 hooked up, check and see what type dish its set to, and make sure the HR21 is set to the exact same dish/multiswitch setting. It sounds like satellite setup is selecting the wrong dish type.

Tivo Premier XL4, Tivo Premier, Tivo HD whole home on Xfinity HD, DirecTv Whole Home with 39" high gain KaKu dish, Roku3,SageTv 8 TB Win8 Server -> DVDO Edge-> Denon AVR, Klipsch KB15's/Panasonic 55ST60 plasma"

#3 OFFLINE   Foghorn

Foghorn

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 39 posts

Posted 26 July 2010 - 10:46 PM

When you have the HR20 hooked up, check and see what type dish its set to, and make sure the HR21 is set to the exact same dish/multiswitch setting. It sounds like satellite setup is selecting the wrong dish type.

I did that and chose the same exact dish type and multiswitch and still wont work.

#4 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 26 July 2010 - 10:52 PM

Check and see if you get any signal strength on satellites 99c and 103c(ab). If you do, DirecTv needs to reauthorize the new receiver for HD service. If you get 0 signal readings on those three satellites, then I dont have a clue why.

Tivo Premier XL4, Tivo Premier, Tivo HD whole home on Xfinity HD, DirecTv Whole Home with 39" high gain KaKu dish, Roku3,SageTv 8 TB Win8 Server -> DVDO Edge-> Denon AVR, Klipsch KB15's/Panasonic 55ST60 plasma"

#5 OFFLINE   Foghorn

Foghorn

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 39 posts

Posted 26 July 2010 - 11:09 PM

Check and see if you get any signal strength on satellites 99c and 103c(ab). If you do, DirecTv needs to reauthorize the new receiver for HD service. If you get 0 signal readings on those three satellites, then I dont have a clue why.

I do get a signal on those on my other HR20's but when I hook up the HR21 it does not. Very frustrating....

#6 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 05:59 AM

Are you using the BBCs that came with the HR21, or using the same BBCs as you are using for the HR20? If they are the same ones on both, then the only conclusion is the HR21 is defective. Very odd indeed that two would be bad, but it happens, especially with "refurbs" that arent tested well. Call em back, and request one that works.

#7 OFFLINE   Foghorn

Foghorn

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 39 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 07:23 AM

Are you using the BBCs that came with the HR21, or using the same BBCs as you are using for the HR20? If they are the same ones on both, then the only conclusion is the HR21 is defective. Very odd indeed that two would be bad, but it happens, especially with "refurbs" that arent tested well. Call em back, and request one that works.

They didn't send me new BBC so I am using the ones that were on the HR20. And the HD work fine on that one. Very weird. I was hoping it was a simple setting that could be fixed without sending a installer, I hate waiting for them. Direct said if this receiver didnt work then they would have to send one out instead of another receiver.

#8 OFFLINE   Foghorn

Foghorn

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 39 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 03:42 PM

Any other ideas?

#9 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 04:19 PM

Any other ideas?

Id let the installer come out. Im out of ideas, and hopefully, the installer will have a HR24 with him...in fact ANY DVR other than the HR20 or HR21 will give you LOTS more recording space. You have a better than 3 in 5 chance he will have a newer model.

#10 OFFLINE   davring

davring

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,385 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 04:48 PM

Not that I can offer any suggestions, other than improper setup, the chances of having two HR21's with the exact same defect would be astronomical. Something is being overlooked.
HR20-700(2.0TB)>Sony XBR-55HX929
HR20-700>Sony KDL40V2500
OTA RS outdoor ant
Hardwire networked to Cysco Router 6.0 AT&T DSL
MRV enabled
R15-500>Samsung LNT2342H
DirecTV customer since 1997

#11 OFFLINE   Foghorn

Foghorn

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 39 posts

Posted 28 July 2010 - 12:03 AM

I have done everything and it just wont work. I made sure the Sat setup was the same as the others, downloaded the new software, made sure the bbands are connected and still nothing. This is driving me crazy.

Guess I will schedule a installer tomorrow. :(

#12 OFFLINE   matt

matt

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,858 posts

Posted 28 July 2010 - 12:25 AM

I wish I knew what to tell you. I have thought about this for a bit and can't think of anything. Maybe you will get an HR24 when the tech comes :D
Slimline 5 with SWM-16
Wireless DECA
HR34-700!
R22-200 Leased
Owned H25-700 and H24-700 off and packed for the move.

DIRECTV subscriber since Nov. 2009

spam firewall