Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Remote suggestions...

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   tuskaloosa25

tuskaloosa25

Mentor

• Registered
  • 36 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 08:37 AM

On 1 wall I have 3 tv's each connected to separate receivers/DVR's.....I would like to be able to control them all with 1 remote....Looking for suggestions and experiences.....Thanks!

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   mdavej

mdavej

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,245 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 09:46 AM

If the TV's are identical, you'll need an addressable IR router. If not, then nearly any universal remote (with 4 to 6 devices depending on how much functionality you want, or a device multiplexer in the case of JP1 remotes) will do.

Edited by mdavej, 27 July 2010 - 10:00 AM.

#3 OFFLINE   DBSNewbie

DBSNewbie

Icon

• Registered
  • 807 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 10:04 AM

Are your TVs of the same brand?

If so, they would most likely only have one IR code set, so you would need to go with an RF Remote Control and Base Station with discrete IR emitters (such as URC). Otherwise, using a regular IR remote will cause all three TVs to respond simultaneously when sending out any TV command.

If the TVs are of different brands, then you can get away with a non-RF universal remote (URC, Harmony, etc.) and program the three different TVs on to it. For your DirecTV receivers, you can set each one to a different code set (up to eight depending on model) and then program your universal remote accordingly.

Getting back to the scenario where all three TVs being the same brand, I have a similar setup to yours. However, rather than three TVs on one wall, I have six. But as far as the remote control solution, the concept is the same.

I have a URC MX-850, which is a programmable remote and sends commands via RF to a base station (two in my case), which in turn converts them to IR and routes those commands to a specific device (TV, D* Receiver, AV Receiver, Blu-Ray Player, etc.) through an IR emitter, which are attached directly to the IR receptor or "eye" of each device.

This allows me to control each device discretely. In other words, when I need to raise the volume or change the channel of a particular TV, only that TV will be affected.

If I had gone with an IR-only setup, all TVs would respond at the same time.

Now, if you don't want to go the RF remote route and all your TVs are the same brand, you can still use an IR-only universal remote. You can simply put a piece of masking tape (cut neatly so it doesn't look messy) over each of the IR eyes of the TV. By doing this, you would be reducing the sensitivity of the IR reception of each TV and you will then be able to control each TV discretely, but you will need to point the remote control directly at the TV and close enough, so that it does not affect the others.

And with the D* Receivers, you would just need to set each one to a different code set and each one can be controlled discretely with one remote.

It's not as sophisticated a solution and a bit clumsy, but it does work.

If you you want to go all out, you can also do a touchpad solution (Crestron, RTI, URC, etc.). Those however, are no longer DIY solutions, and would require a professional programmer in most cases.
Slimline, WB616 (2), SWM8 (2), OTA, MRV (U)
Den: Sony KDS-60A3000 -> HR20-700; Sony KDL-40S2000 (5) -> HR20-700 (2) & HR20-100 (3)
Master Bed: Kuro PDP-5020FD -> HR34-700
Master Bath: Sony KDL-26S3000 + PSP -> HR24-200
Daughter's: Sony KDL-40W3000 -> HR20-700
Son's: Sony KDL-40W3000 -> HR24-500
Kitchen: Sharp 20" -> H24-700
Guest: Sharp 20" -> H20-100
Patio: SunbriteTV 3220 -> H25-500
Living Room: Sony 42" XBR Plasma -> HR20-100

Diagram of Setup

#4 OFFLINE   tuskaloosa25

tuskaloosa25

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 36 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 12:02 PM

Of the 3 TV's the 2 on the sides are the same brand......I just completed this along with the entire remodel of the house, so cost is some what of a concern....Looking for the best way to get this accomplished with the least amount of hassle and $$$$$....

spam firewall