Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Empty eSATA box question

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Direct-Albert

Direct-Albert

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 17 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 12:05 PM

I’m about to order a new external enclosure to add to my system taking advantage of the Tenbox closeout very tempting sale but I’m not sure which are the best HDD to use, I asked Tenbox vendor and they told me to use the HDD DirecTV recommends but since there are not bare drives recommended at the DirecTV site, only complete enclosures, I’d like to have some input from other users here.

Thanks
Al.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   matt

matt

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,858 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 12:07 PM

Western Digital EVDS has my vote. 2TB, WD20EVDS specifically, but smaller may work for you too :D
Slimline 5 with SWM-16
Wireless DECA
HR34-700!
R22-200 Leased
Owned H25-700 and H24-700 off and packed for the move.

DIRECTV subscriber since Nov. 2009

#3 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,148 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 27 July 2010 - 12:46 PM

I’m about to order a new external enclosure to add to my system taking advantage of the Tenbox closeout very tempting sale but I’m not sure which are the best HDD to use, I asked Tenbox vendor and they told me to use the HDD DirecTV recommends but since there are not bare drives recommended at the DirecTV site, only complete enclosures, I’d like to have some input from other users here.

Thanks
Al.

D* doesn't "support" any eSATAs. It "suggests" two eSATA setups that are only 1TB. For about the same price, you can purchase an enclosure and a 2TB WD EVDS HDD. I doubt if you can find a better HDD, at the moment, and I'm pretty sure the TenBox doesn't have them in their enclosures. What the TenBox does have is a ridiculously priced range of eSATAs that they or their vendors will happily sell you. The 2TB version goes for about $700. What do you get for all that? Little more, if anything at all, than the aforementioned enclosure + WD EVDS 2TB HDD.

We actually had the TenBox guys on the forum for a while, but they bailed out. Too pricey and their guarantee is not much different than that of several high end (but much cheaper) eSATAs.

Rich

#4 OFFLINE   matt

matt

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,858 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 12:59 PM

If you don't have your heart set on TenBox, take a look at Antec MX-1 and Rosewill RX-358, they seem to be popular here.
Slimline 5 with SWM-16
Wireless DECA
HR34-700!
R22-200 Leased
Owned H25-700 and H24-700 off and packed for the move.

DIRECTV subscriber since Nov. 2009

#5 OFFLINE   Direct-Albert

Direct-Albert

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 17 posts

Posted 28 July 2010 - 11:08 AM

Thanks to matt1124 and to rich584 for your input.

I read here about the Antec MX-1 and other cheap single drive enclosures, but those are not for 24/7 continuous use.
In my work I had problems with computer backup boxes overheating, it would not be safe to leave home with one of those
connected to my DVR and working nonstop.
With huge new drives there is no need for RAID boxes, but I like the RAID mirrored setting as it saves my recordings if one
hard disk fails. Professional high-performance storage boxes as those used in servers are safe too, but they are also noisy
and expensive, so I think the Tenbox enclosure at only $129 is a good choice now.

Regards
Al

#6 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,148 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 28 July 2010 - 12:33 PM

Thanks to matt1124 and to rich584 for your input.

I read here about the Antec MX-1 and other cheap single drive enclosures, but those are not for 24/7 continuous use.
In my work I had problems with computer backup boxes overheating, it would not be safe to leave home with one of those
connected to my DVR and working nonstop.
With huge new drives there is no need for RAID boxes, but I like the RAID mirrored setting as it saves my recordings if one
hard disk fails. Professional high-performance storage boxes as those used in servers are safe too, but they are also noisy
and expensive, so I think the Tenbox enclosure at only $129 is a good choice now.

Where are you getting them at that price and what is the capacity?

Rich

#7 OFFLINE   Direct-Albert

Direct-Albert

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 17 posts

Posted 28 July 2010 - 12:49 PM

Where are you getting them at that price and what is the capacity?

Rich

-------------------------------------------------------
Rich, I believe its a closeout, the $129 is the full enclosure assembled without HDD, it's at www.tenbox.net
It is a steal, I guess theyre not making them anymore.I purchased a whole Tenbox a year back and never a problem.

Regards
Al

#8 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Registered
  • 10,267 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 28 July 2010 - 03:28 PM

I love the 6 foot eSATA cable for $30. :lol:

- Merg

Today's problems don't worry me, I haven't solved yesterday's yet.

SlimLine-3 Dish w/ SWM16 (HD Service / WHDVR) / Full Setup
HR34-700 / Panasonic TC-P50G25 HDTV / HDMI / Networked - DECA / Family Room
HR44-700 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

HR24-100 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

#9 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,006 posts

Posted 28 July 2010 - 05:58 PM

That's not a bad price for as nice as that box is.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#10 OFFLINE   TomCat

TomCat

Broadcast Engineer

• Registered
  • 3,638 posts

Posted 28 July 2010 - 07:39 PM

...they told me to use the HDD DirecTV recommends but since there are not bare drives recommended at the DirecTV site, only complete enclosures, I’d like to have some input...

If you open up a HR2x, the HDD inside it is typically a WD. That kind of indicates that this is the HDD that they recommend.

I have had great luck with the EADS models (the EARS models do not work).
It's usually safe to talk honestly and openly with people because they typically are not really listening anyway.

#11 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,148 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 29 July 2010 - 07:15 AM

If you open up a HR2x, the HDD inside it is typically a WD. That kind of indicates that this is the HDD that they recommend.

I have had great luck with the EADS models (the EARS models do not work).

Every 20-700 I've ever opened up has a Seagate in it. Can't speak about the 21 series. The EADS is a fine HDD, but the EVDS is even quieter. Some Seagates are quiet, some are noisy.

Rich

#12 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,148 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 29 July 2010 - 07:16 AM

-------------------------------------------------------
Rich, I believe its a closeout, the $129 is the full enclosure assembled without HDD, it's at www.tenbox.net
It is a steal, I guess theyre not making them anymore.I purchased a whole Tenbox a year back and never a problem.

Regards
Al

Thanx for the info.

Rich

#13 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,148 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 29 July 2010 - 07:17 AM

I love the 6 foot eSATA cable for $30. :lol:

- Merg

Really makes you wonder, doesn't it?

Rich

#14 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 29 July 2010 - 12:58 PM

Every 20-700 I've ever opened up has a Seagate in it. Can't speak about the 21 series. The EADS is a fine HDD, but the EVDS is even quieter. Some Seagates are quiet, some are noisy.

Rich

Don't forget that the 20-700's are the original and oldest of the HR series. They might have gotten all their original drives thru Seagate and moved to WD later, say the next model or two after that, possibly due to reliability issues, or price point, etc...

#15 OFFLINE   phox_mulder

phox_mulder

Legend

• Registered
  • 191 posts

Posted 30 July 2010 - 11:26 AM

Rich

My refurbished 20-100 has a WD in it.

Hooked a 1TB WD in a WD My DVR Expander to it and it's been working great.
I had bought an Antec MX1 to use, but never hooked the WD to my Tivo, so just used it instead.
Antec is hooked to the computer for now, might hook it to one of the HR21's though.

phox

Protected By... spam firewall...And...