Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Can weather elsewhere cause my signal to be dropped?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   janeslogin

janeslogin

Legend

• Registered
  • 105 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 02:13 PM

We live out in the high desert, no clouds, no trees, nothing.

But my recording of ABC News this morning showed no signal. There was one hell of a storm over the mountains about 12-20 miles away. Could that have had anything to do with my lost signal?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 19,215 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 27 July 2010 - 02:47 PM

If you were trying to record content from an SD local, it may have been trashed by a problem with Echostar 14 last night. Reno LIL appear on an E14 spot beam.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#3 OFFLINE   Michael P

Michael P

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,938 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 03:45 PM

Depending on your dish's elevation it is possible that weather affect your reception even if the sky is clear locally. This is especially true for the few west coast installations with a 61.5 dish. With an elevation of only 9 degrees a weather system 300 miles away could interfere with your signal.

OTOH the local POP could also have a problem receiving the local station's signal. This happened to me Sunday with my local NBC station WKYC. In that case the stations transmitter had brief power outages, I knew it was the local station because I had the same channel on via ota in the bedroom and that set had a "no signal" message on the screen while the E* feed had a yellow screen. Fortunately the program was simulcast on an RSN (STO) and that feed went uninterrupted.
An E* subscriber continuously since February 1997.

#4 OFFLINE   BattleZone

BattleZone

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 09:22 PM

Rain/weather-related signal loss will happen when there is a heavy storm in between the dish and the satellite, so if there is a storm in the dish's Line-of-Sight, even if it is causing rain 30 miles away from you, it can cause a problem. Likewise, it can be pouring rain right over your house, but clear in your dish's LOS, and you'll have great signal.

The lower your elevation angle, the further through the clouds the signals have to travel to reach your dish, so the more like it is to have rain fade (from storms in the LOS, which may be many miles to your south).

#5 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,796 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 27 July 2010 - 11:25 PM

I usually don't see rain fade... but rather cloud fade. Often times when it is raining outside I am able to watch Dish just fine... BUT if there is a black cloud in the line-of-sight between my dish and the SAT in orbit, I'll lose signal even if it is not raining and the sun is out.

I've had many a time where the actual bad weather passed right by me... but the cloud did not.

Also, another thing we've had hit us every once in a while is bad weather at the Dish uplink site.

My weather can be fine... but if there is a big storm at the uplink site that interferes with the signal getting to the SAT... then that can kill you too, and you'll have to go check the weather in Colorado, for example, to find out what happened.

-- Respect the S.H.I.E.L.D.

#6 OFFLINE   BillJ

BillJ

Icon

• Registered
  • 830 posts

Posted 28 July 2010 - 06:49 AM

I've gotten pretty good at predicting signal loss just by watching radar online. For me it's storms 25 to 40 miles to the southwest. When I see them developing I know 129 will soon go. Sometimes 110/119 are still okay, depending on how strong the storm is.

My friend switched to DTV a couple years ago. He often loses signal too so it isn't just a DISH issue.

#7 OFFLINE   janeslogin

janeslogin

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 105 posts

Posted 28 July 2010 - 02:12 PM

If you were trying to record content from an SD local, it may have been trashed by a problem with Echostar 14 last night. Reno LIL appear on an E14 spot beam.

Thanks. It would have been SD Reno.

BTW, what does LIL mean? This forum with all it's good information rally needs an extensive glossary to have superb information. I think I can rule out LIL meaning Lithuanian Airlines (ICAO code) which, I think, is what it most often means.

#8 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 40,113 posts

Posted 28 July 2010 - 02:25 PM

BTW, what does LIL mean?

Local into local. It is local TV stations being rebroadcast via satellite back into their local market.

This forum with all it's good information rally needs an extensive glossary to have superb information. I think I can rule out LIL meaning Lithuanian Airlines (ICAO code) which, I think, is what it most often means.

Acronyms are linked from our homepage.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...